Join Seth and Don Stanley Riding Utah's National Parks!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6247469765_257d702c5b_z.jpg

Don, thought you would like this one to make a copy

Mark
Many Thanks Brother Mark, this photograph of The Stanley Boys is great. It was just a damn shame that a lousy forest rat put a quick and final end to our really nice motorcycle vacation, but we sure enjoyed riding Utah and Arizona with you up until the deer strike!

Damn but wait, OK, OK, both riders are OK.. scary but a good, if that makes any sense, finish.

Seth will have a good story to tell his friends and bruises to prove it.

So glad everyone is OK!

It was just a damn shame that a lousy forest rat put a quick and final end to our really nice motorcycle vacation...
Sheeze. Sorry to hear about this. Must have some kind of Karma working? Glad everybody was OK. Maybe backing out on the Super Tenere PDP was not such a great idea? But just like a deer strike, nobody could predict a tsunami in Japan either. Good job in keeping Giselle's shiney side up for the most part. :clapping:

It was just a damn shame that a lousy forest rat put a quick and final end to our really nice motorcycle vacation, but we sure enjoyed riding Utah and Arizona with you up until the deer strike!
Oh my goodness... just got in a bit ago from 2 weeks on the road on my Great Southwest Adventure... had hoped to cross paths with y'all somewhere along the way even if a wave from the road... my heart sank when I read about your deer run-in, Papa... I'm so sorry you had that run in but VERY glad that you both came away relatively unscathed... we were very lucky in that we had very little sightings of deer along the way although there were a few cows in the middle of the road on Hwy 12 asking to be turned into hamburger patties... :glare:

Really glad you both are okay... :)

Glad Don and Seth are OK and that Seth seems to be recovering from his banged up shin. Darn forest rats are everywhere these days. I am glad Don could keep Gisele upright and what could have been a worse situation was averted.

Sending well wishes your way Don. Take care and recover fast. Top shelf liquor and lots of it helps!

Pfffft!

No photos of the damage to that POS whale of Kraut Krap, nor any photos of the the deceased bambi.

YOU get a "D" in crash scene dynamics mi bastard step-pappy.

And all I really want to know is: Did you fill up your Depends?

It was just a damn shame that a lousy forest rat put a quick and final end to our really nice motorcycle vacation, but we sure enjoyed riding Utah and Arizona with you up until the deer strike!
Oh my goodness... just got in a bit ago from 2 weeks on the road on my Great Southwest Adventure... had hoped to cross paths with y'all somewhere along the way even if a wave from the road... my heart sank when I read about your deer run-in, Papa... I'm so sorry you had that run in but VERY glad that you both came away relatively unscathed... we were very lucky in that we had very little sightings of deer along the way although there were a few cows in the middle of the road on Hwy 12 asking to be turned into hamburger patties... :glare:

Really glad you both are okay... :)
Hello Sweetness,

Seth is in great shape, both mentally and physically. He is hopping and jumping, and has put the entire incident behind him. I, on the other hand, am really going through mental anguish. I cannot force myself to just consider ourselves lucky and look forward to the next motorcycle ride with my Seth. Our Annual Arizona Beemers Barbecue is this upcoming Saturday at Lake Roosevelt, and even though I would normally take him on the bike: At this point in time I am taking him in our Jeep.

If I cannot get my old head past this "What If" of packing Seth on the bike with me, chances are pretty good I will be attending NAFO / CFR 2012 and Alaska with Seth and I in a BMW M3 convertible. It was just too close of a call of danger for my beloved Son Seth, I just cannot forgive myself if he gets hurt by my biking.

Signed, Concerned in Chandler

Seth is in great shape, both mentally and physically. He is hopping and jumping, and has put the entire incident behind him. I, on the other hand, am really going through mental anguish. I cannot force myself to just consider ourselves lucky and look forward to the next motorcycle ride with my Seth.
I went through the same mental anguish many years ago concerning future rides with my young daughter after a laydown (antifreeze on a curve). She wasn't involved in my mishap but I worried about it over the winter and the "what if" eventually went away. If my daughter were riding with me today I would want her to be wearing a Cycleport kelvar riding suit and a full face helmet.

<<SNIP>>

Seth is in great shape, both mentally and physically. He is hopping and jumping, and has put the entire incident behind him. I, on the other hand, am really going through mental anguish. I cannot force myself to just consider ourselves lucky and look forward to the next motorcycle ride with my Seth. Our Annual Arizona Beemers Barbecue is this upcoming Saturday at Lake Roosevelt, and even though I would normally take him on the bike: At this point in time I am taking him in our Jeep.

If I cannot get my old head past this "What If" of packing Seth on the bike with me, chances are pretty good I will be attending NAFO / CFR 2012 and Alaska with Seth and I in a BMW M3 convertible. It was just too close of a call of danger for my beloved Son Seth, I just cannot forgive myself if he gets hurt by my biking.

Signed, Concerned in Chandler

Don, I have a couple suggestions. First, give it time before you make a final decision. Second, review your decision from time to time. Third, I understand and support your decision, whatever it is, because it is such a personal one. You and Seth are welcome in my home no matter what you are riding on or in.

EDIT: You may want to start a new thread with a link to this one, because I think you are going to get a lot of responses to the change in topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, I have a couple suggestions. First, give it time before you make a final decision. Second, review your decision from time to time. Third, I understand and support your decision, whatever it is, because it is such a personal one. You and Seth are welcome in my home no matter what you are riding on or in.

EDIT: You may want to start a new thread with a link to this one, because I think you are going to get a lot of responses to the change in topic.
I second Shiny's sentiments on this issue. I have come to realize that while 2-wheels brought us all together, it's the friendships that continue to bond us no matter what we ride. :)

I second Shiny's sentiments on this issue. I have come to realize that while 2-wheels brought us all together, it's the friendships that continue to bond us no matter what we ride. :)
Many thanks Miss Tyler, ShinyPartsUp, MEM, MCRIDER007, rushes and so many others for all of your support and best wishes. I know Time Heals All Wounds and hopefully I will have the moxie to get Seth back on the back of mi moto in a few months.

It's just so hard when it is your own flesh and blood you are putting at risk on a motorcycle, I've no qualms or aversions whatsoever to getting myself back on the bike. Hell's Bell's, I'm going for an evening dinner ride with SkooterG: Now That's Dangerous!

Don, consider this too, you did the right things when the accident occurred. You had slit seconds to make choices about maneuvering, braking, staying on the throttle and more, and you did the right things to stay up and in control. If you should encounter deer again, you will again make the right decisions and come out as well as possible. It's simply part of your riding reflexes or you wouldn't have come out so well this time. All you have done is proven in the real world that the knowledge and training you have is solid and in a crunch, you do the right things.

We manage our risks. That includes choosing to take the car on occasion too. Assess at each trip plan and choose what feels right for you then, rather than attempting to form a blanket decision now about all future rides or events. We do this to have fun. If you can't ride with Seth and have fun, don't. But don't let some apprehension stop you either, some things have to be worked through in order to get over the hump, so to speak.

You might consider a full face helmet or some modulars for Seth as one step to up the preventative protection. Perhaps some armored riding pants as well. Hip & knee armor help a lot in a get off.

Regardless, Ty and Shiny are right, it doesn't matter how you show up to an event, we still like you. It's about the friendships we make, not how we get to the events. We do enjoy riding, but you won't be told to go away if you drive. (We'll just make you last in the group rides!)

Don, consider this too, you did the right things when the accident occurred. You had slit seconds to make choices about maneuvering, braking, staying on the throttle and more, and you did the right things to stay up and in control. If you should encounter deer again, you will again make the right decisions and come out as well as possible. It's simply part of your riding reflexes or you wouldn't have come out so well this time. All you have done is proven in the real world that the knowledge and training you have is solid and in a crunch, you do the right things.

We manage our risks. That includes choosing to take the car on occasion too. Assess at each trip plan and choose what feels right for you then, rather than attempting to form a blanket decision now about all future rides or events. We do this to have fun. If you can't ride with Seth and have fun, don't. But don't let some apprehension stop you either, some things have to be worked through in order to get over the hump, so to speak.

You might consider a full face helmet or some modulars for Seth as one step to up the preventative protection. Perhaps some armored riding pants as well. Hip & knee armor help a lot in a get off.

Regardless, Ty and Shiny are right, it doesn't matter how you show up to an event, we still like you. It's about the friendships we make, not how we get to the events. We do enjoy riding, but you won't be told to go away if you drive. (We'll just make you last in the group rides!)
Don,

+1 to everything Tyler, Shiny, Eric, MCRider007and others said,

Heck, I just met you the night before all this happened! But I'd read a lot about your "exploits" on this forum riding all over the place on all kinds of different bikes, for all those years. And always inviting, cajoling, and encouraging others (many strangers) to join you on your rides. I REALLY admire that, and it's obvious how many folks care about you and your family.

I already knew, read and could feel how much you love your son!

And I knew right after this happened that you would be feeling so many emotions, including whether you would ever subject your son to another ride, for fear of what could happen.

I can understand, at least in reference to my own kids.

But, I do know this, it will take some time to sort through everything, as others have said.

Take the time to let this process occur, it might be awhile.

Hope to ride with you again someday.

Bob

Woah! I just saw the news about your deer strike Don. Glad you are physically unscathed and Seth is healing and back to normal. Sorry that your beautiful Beemer got all banged up.

Just came across the news Don. So glad to hear that you are OK and Seth is on the mend, he sounds like a tough boy!

Always remember that bikes can be replaced...us not so much. Sounds like you made all the right decisions in keeping the shiney side up and the bike under control. Kudos to you!

Take care and see you at NAFO...if not sooner! :)

--Jorge

Don, glad you both are ok! I read this this morning right after you posted and still not sure what to say except that I think I understand what your feeling.

When Mr. and Mrs. BeemerReamer got hurt on our ride together I was shook up bad. When I go there will be more food for the rest of the world, no big deal. But when something hurt's those we care about it's not so easy.

Rest easy my friend, Kevin.

Latest posts