just replaced my rf 1000 for the qwest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u wish

Reaction score
just wanted to share this, as it wasnt just a small difference in the two.The shoei qwest may be more important than the bigger windshield i put on !!as i get no head bobbing at any position now!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like my RF1000, and was looking at the 1100 to replace it, but they changed the fit. The Qwest fits very similar to the old 1000, and seriously looking at that for my next lid. Glad to hear it is quiet!

Griff

Glad you like the Quest, I have had a Quest and now ride with the 1100. I live in TX and the Quest was a much hotter helmet for me, the 100 has more vents and they were very noticeable for me while rolling down the road.

Kevin

just wanted to share this, as it wasnt just a small difference in the two.The shoei qwest may be more important than the bigger windshield i put on !!as i get no head bobbing at any position now!!!

I too have a qwest and while I agree it could use a few more vents, it is much more quiet.

Very comfortable helmet.. 2 fellow riders and co-workers now own them and they all agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you like the Quest, I have had a Quest and now ride with the 1100. I live in TX and the Quest was a much hotter helmet for me, the 100 has more vents and they were very noticeable for me while rolling down the road.

Kevin

Here in ct there is only 3 hot months 3 compy months and 6 cold ones so i get to enjoy the quiet BUT WOULD LOVE TO HAVE MORE WORRY OF THE HOT MONTHS

I probably look into this helmet. Webbikeworld gave it good review here: https://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/qwest/. I've been wearing Shoei TZ-R for many years and looking for a better replacement. The TZ-R somehow feels really heavy after 30 minute plus. On a long ride, it's uncomfortable when you feel like someone pulls your hair down on the side of my head, plus felt much heavier. I wear size Small which fits my head fine. It's possibly the inside shape that creates this strange effect. The reviewer on the webbikeworld notes the head shape is built differently on Qwest (more round) that would fit large number of riders.

I am waiting to try the Neo-Tech. I like my RF1100 and the Quest may be quieter but not enough to sacrifice venting

The Neotec is awesome. I have had mine now 2 months and it is great. The internal sun shade is great too. The helmet has GREAT venting too. You wont be disappointed.

We have Qwests, in addition to the old RFs, a Shark, etc. The Qwest has a bit less venting for heat and is much more comfy, as others wrote.

What I'll add is that in sealing up tighter, it also fogs faster in rain.

All in all, it's a winner and we'll keep ours.

I wanted to add this comment on here.

When I bought my bike I bought a QWest with it. OK helmet but it was hot. The airflow was so limited that I could smell the sweat inside the helmet at a constant 70 mph. I decided it needed to go.

Today I purchased a RF 1100. What a difference. At 75+ in clean air, it felt like air conditioning under the helmet. I also noticed something very interesting but makes sense. In the QWest, whenever I took my head out of center, the helmet would push to the side, not very aerodynamic. With the RF 1100, not so. I could turn my head any way I wanted and it didn't get snatched. Also I wear glasses. This aspect really surprised me between these two. With the QWest I always had buffeting, no matter what the windshield was at. With the RF 1100 none. This was noticeable to me because whenever the helmet buffets, my glasses would also. Not the greatest way to instill confidence at speed. The RF 1100 was sooo much better in that aspect.

Was the RF1100 noisier, yes a bit, I would say 10% more so but I will wear earplugs if it helps keep me cool here in FL. 101 on the bikes thermometer on my way home and my head was comfortable.

My TZ-R did the same thing. Whenever I turn my head to the side like checking the traffic before changing lane, the wind really pushes it side-way. I don't see this effect with my other rather old HJC CL-14. In fact, the HJC was given to me by a friend years back but it mostly sits on a shelf. Recently I worn it to the mountain ride and rode significant time on the freeway but didn't feel the heavy burden on my head at all! no side-way push by the wind at head turn. Unbelievable! I've ended up ordered a dark smoke shield and will use it more often from now on. So the Qwest doesn't actually resolve that issue. I'm glad I haven't bought it.