K1600b

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugR

Reaction score
Looks like BMW pulled out the ugly stick and used it on the K1600.

You buying one KJ?
weirdsmiley.gif

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2017-bmw-k1600b-bagger/

Chris

It looks like the bastard offspring of a Honda Goldwing F6B and a Victory Vision.

Didn't inherit the better (less bad) appearance features of either. Uuuuugly!

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't the Blau Mit Weiss' first major blunder at attempting to "capture the 'murican market." They tried this approach before with the Montauk, which was a dismal seller and also completely missed the mark. The wily Krauts think that if they throw the bagger-esque style on a boxer twin or Inline 6 wizzer they will attract the cruiser crowd away from their beloved Hardly Ablesons. It doesn't work. No cruiser rider worth his wallet chain, doo rag and ass-less chaps is going to be caught dead on a Bee-Emm-Double-ewe. None of the other pirates would ever let them play in their reindeer games.

I bet it's got a better engine than the Goldwing bagger.

But no one riding a Sportster is going to move up to that...they're going to move up to a Harley bagger.

I bet it's got a better engine than the Goldwing bagger.
But no one riding a Sportster is going to move up to that...they're going to move up to a Harley bagger.
The Wing motor is a pretty solid well sorted item...I know the engines on the Broken Motor Works K1600 platform have been less than stellar...at least the early units...hopefully they have things sorted by now.

I do agree, this is bike in search of a market...and BMW may have just found a niche within a niche market with demand for about 3 bikes...

I have been thinking about buying another K1300S. I haven't owned one in a few years, and I miss the feel of the German Hayabusa.

I emailed bmwbob, owner of a large dealership, and he did not get back to me.

Worried about Bob's health (he is an old guy, like so many of us who have time to fritter away at forums), but I also wanted to know if there were K1300S expected in 2017.

So I called another dealer.

I spoke with the chief cook, salesman, and bottle washer, and he informed me of two things.

1. My beloved K1300S has been retired. 2016 was the last model year.

2. This is the week of the North American New Product Launch, and all the owners are at the meeting.

So by the end of the week we should know if this F6B knock off is really real. And we might also know if there is a legitimate replacement for the K1300S. I've always wanted a K1600S, so maybe that's coming too.

Meanwhile, back at the F6B knock off, yuck. It looks as appealing as the genuine F6B.

JSNS

Added on October 9, 2017:

Well, the F6B grew on me. Maybe at 66 Ive aged into its demographic. I bought one last week.

The K16B looks interesting to me today, but I don't want to deal with the Beemer Deeler Drama. Its lighter than the Honda, and has 40+ more bhp. Lots more amenities too.

This may change. Honda is unveiling the next gen GL1800 series at the Long Beach IMS.

To paraphrase an old song, Honda is just alright with me. Ill probably never need the dealer.

My 2012 K1600GTL was tied for the second most dissatisfying bike out of the 30 I've owned. First was the 2007 Moto Guzzi Norge. The other second was the 2009 R1200GS.

The back half has a cruiser look, except for the pipes. The front looks like a tourer, but the wrap around the tank, headlight, and stacked-on-top dash, looks thrown together and fugly. Is it me, or are those front turn signals taken from a Gen III?

Edit: Maybe they'll cross it with this