K1600GT Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharif

Reaction score
I got a good ride on a K1600GT as my brother and I took a loop from Chicago, up through Michigan (including the Tunnel of Trees), over the Mackinac Bridge to Toronto and Niagara Falls before taking the Talbot Trail back to Windsor and slabbing it home.

First impressions - the K1600GT is a big motorcycle. You never forget that fact when viewing it from the front or when you are riding it. There is a lot of motorcycle in front of you, especially compared to an FJR:

Huge bike

versus

tidy bike

Storage:

The fairing is wide, all the way down to your feet. One thing that surprised me is that there is no storage compartment which is accessible while underway. In-fairing storage is tight (smaller than FJR), but bags/trunk are bigger. The left lower storage pocket is pretty small and gets warm. The iPod attachment is on the lower side of the right fairing. Not a deal-breaker by any means, just inaccessible when under rolling. Not really practical to fiddle with an iPod at a stoplight, for instance.

One very nice thing is the disparity in factory trunks - the BMW is wider and shorter, allowing for two full-face helmets on board. The FJR can take a single helmet and is taller. I prefer the BMW design - holding two helmets is nice. The flip side is that the BMW trunk doesn’t open to 90 degrees. I like that for putting things on as I’m rummaging through on the road looking for snacks. BMW trunk is illuminated and has an optional brake light - very nice.

The alarm on the BMW is cool, and keyless access to the storage compartments.

Drivetrain:

First off, the K16 just sounds phenomenal. It has a nice, nasty idle and makes really appealing noises up the rev range. No discernible vibrations anywhere. Smoother than smooth. Amazing drivetrain. What surprised me was the amount of squat when whacking the throttle wide open in third - significant torque, but also significant squat. It also surprised me that in a drag race, there was not much in it between the K16 and the FJR. Acceleration is startlingly similar - it’s a power/weight/gearing question. The K spins 3200 at 70 while the FJR spins 3800. The K has 6 speeds, the FJR 5. The fuel economy was within 1 mpg, but the K has a slightly larger fuel tank, which equates to better range. Racing on a track, we ran 'em up to 147 GPS indicated, and either I weigh less than my brother (true), was packing lighter than him (probably true), or the bikes are simply that close.

Love love love that engine, just wish it was pulling a little less weight.

Comfort:

Yamaha’s marketing is spot on - supersport touring. The BMW is more of a Grand Tourer. As such, cushier seat, electronic suspension, all the electronic goodies, phenomenal nav integration are all part of the BMW package. Part of my slab ride was on a really hot (97) day, and I preferred the wind management on the FJR - the K was almost too protective for me. It has fairing vents which you can open which funnels quite a bit of air into your lap - almost punishing at highway speeds, nice in lower speeds.

One interesting thing is wind noise. For my brother (6 feet), he was fine, no ear plugs, nice pocket of air, no bugs AT ALL on his face shield. For me (6’3”), I couldn’t find the same pocket of clean air he did, and I got bugs in my face shield. Shows how much toller I am than he is, I guess.

The seats put pressure on different points - the BMW’s seat is wider and flatter. Not good or bad, just different. I was comfy on both machines, though I felt like I was sitting much taller on the BMW.

Suspension:

Hard to beat electronic suspension with its on-the-fly adjustability. Both my brother and I felt more comfortable placing the FJR in corners, probably just a function of seat time. I’m sure that in more capable hands, both bikes would walk away from me - they have cornering capabilities beyond mine. The FJR is just smaller and lower, so I felt more comfortable throwing my shoulder into turns.

Controls:

Nice electronics on the BMW with very intuitive thumb wheel on the left bar. It also took a much lighter touch - clutch, throttle, shifter. More finesse required. FJR is much simpler. It’s a bit like comparing a modern 911 to a mid-90s 911. More goodies in the new car, the old one is functional.

One example on refinement - love the foresight on maintaining tire pressure:

BMW versus fried hands.

I mean, kudos to Yamaha for ensuring that we check pressures when the tires are cold! ;)

Overall, the K is one heck of an impressive bike. I really, really like the engine - smooth and powerful. For me, it’s too big for my daily ride - one could argue the FJR is as well...

Nutshell: feel like BMW went from sport touring to grand touring when they went from K13 to K16. Impressive motorcycle, but I’d be inclined to get the GTL or a Wing and dedicate it to 2-up if that was my bag.

At one point in Canada, the road we were on ended and turned into fresh, deep (2 inches?) gravel. We weren't sure if it was construction or permanent, so we horsed the bikes through maybe a quarter mile of the stuff. Then we realized it was permanent gravel, so we turned around in a farm and headed back. It was pretty hairy riding there for a bit front end washing out all over the place, some good pucker factor. I was not relishing the thought of picking the bike up.

Interesting bike, just not for me. Is the FJR perfect? No, but it's close enough for me that I'm going to keep it for as long as possible - it's a heck of a great bike.

For pics of the rest of the trip, here you go.

Nice write up. I'm glad BMW is forging ahead with a lot of cool features that will hopefully find their way into more bikes. At NAFO I followed Beemerdon's K16GT for a while riding into Castlegar. The next day I spent quite a bit of time following a real-life Canadian on a K13.

The comparison from behind was interesting. I could hear the K16 motor coming out of corners and it sounded very cool (aftermarket pipes on that one...). The bike did look bigger for sure than the FJR. Following the K13 was really interesting as that bike looks SO similar in size, style etc. to the FJR. Other than a single-side pipe a different shaped bags from behind, I would swear I was behind an FJR.

I'd love to see Yamaha add some of those trick features to a new FJR. I have no BMW dealer w/in 200 miles of me, so I don't think I'll ever own one, but they are definitely on a roll and hopefully pushing the whole market in a good direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent report. Though I have not spent near as much time on the K16s, your impressions are very close to mine.

Did you try the K16's ABS brakes? I thought it the best ABS system I have ever had the pleasure of using.

Also, I really don't like the integrated gps on the K16. A great idea, but in reality not implemented. It's too far away to see clearly, and hard to use the touch screen. And the handlebar controller only controls a few functions, so you still need to use the touchscreen for any amount of functionality.

Did you try the K16's ABS brakes? I thought it the best ABS system I have ever had the pleasure of using.

Also, I really don't like the integrated gps on the K16. A great idea, but in reality not implemented. It's too far away to see clearly, and hard to use the touch screen. And the handlebar controller only controls a few functions, so you still need to use the touchscreen for any amount of functionality.
Two things I didn't try - the ABS or the adaptive headlight. We were planning a night ride back from Windsor, but the Ambassador Bridge closed 10 minutes prior to our arrival on accounts of a bomb threat, of all things. Next time.

I liked where the GPS was, but I wasn't fiddling with it much, just following a route we had loaded up. I didn't have an issue with legibility, but in bright sunlight the info display was a bit hard to read. Glare from the chrome. Part of my seat time on it was in 97 degree heat on the slab, and in that kind of heat, I really preferred the wind management on the FJR.

I think you could make the case for BMW to sell the 13 and the 16 side by side. The 13 is an awesome bike with performance which just flat honks. I love that intake sound at high rpm, and it definitely walks the FJR in top-gear rollons.

I still think my ideal bike is an FJR body with a K13 drivetrain and no final drive issues.

Sharif, the only thing wrong with your bike is that it is the wrong color! Black is faster! :yahoo:
I think a sixth cog would help out quite a bit - that's where the K excels is high speed economy. When speeds go up, the FJR can keep up, but it's guzzling fuel in Niagara Falls quantities.

All in all, in terms of just being a motorcycle, the FJR acquits itself remarkably well against the latest and greatest from Germany. That, my friends, is a design with staying power.

Nice write up. I'm glad BMW is forging ahead with a lot of cool features that will hopefully find their way into more bikes. At NAFO I followed Beemerdon's K16GT for a while riding into Castlegar. The next day I spent quite a bit of time following a real-life Canadian on a K13.

The comparison from behind was interesting. I could hear the K16 motor coming out of corners and it sounded very cool (aftermarket pipes on that one...). The bike did look bigger for sure than the FJR. Following the K13 was really interesting as that bike looks SO similar in size, style etc. to the FJR. Other than a single-side pipe a different shaped bags from behind, I would swear I was behind an FJR.

I'd love to see Yamaha add some of those trick features to a new FJR. I have no BMW dealer w/in 200 miles of me, so I don't think I'll ever own one, but they are definitely on a roll and hopefully pushing the whole market in a good direction.
Extremely nice writeup Sharif and thanks for taking time to prepare a very detailed report! Spud, it was just my tiny butt making "Gisele" our K1600GT look bigger. jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

I would expect a flagship motorcycle that is priced at three Gen Is or two '12 Gen IIs to be a nice ride. Heck, it is priced at more than most cars so it should be a stunningly nice bike.

Transmissions are apples to oranges with regards to the FJR. The FJR is a wide ratio 5 speed driven by a 4 cylinder 1.3k liter engine vs a 6 cylinder, 6 speed, 1.6k liter engine (although a bit heaver). The Beemer has a deep overdrive ratio. There is a very different feel to acceleration between a wide ration transmission like the one in the FJR and a close ratio transmission like many 6 speed transmissions. Does the K1600 have a close ratio transmission?

I would expect a flagship motorcycle that is priced at three Gen Is or two '12 Gen IIs to be a nice ride. Heck, it is priced at more than most cars so it should be a stunningly nice bike.

Transmissions are apples to oranges with regards to the FJR. The FJR is a wide ratio 5 speed driven by a 4 cylinder 1.3k liter engine vs a 6 cylinder, 6 speed, 1.6k liter engine (although a bit heaver). The Beemer has a deep overdrive ratio. There is a very different feel to acceleration between a wide ration transmission like the one in the FJR and a close ratio transmission like many 6 speed transmissions. Does the K1600 have a close ratio transmission?
ionbeam, I happened to be drinking beer, eating pretzels and singing Wehrmacht songs mit Hans und Dieter at BMW Command Headquarters here in Berlin when I saw you post. So Hans und Dieter provided the specs to give to you.

By the way Alan, here in BMW Supreme Bunker: BMW Stasi keeps a list of all known Worldwide Subversives, Dissidents and Saboteurs of die Staat on a dry erase board, just happened to notice you are on it. I'll try to help you Freund!

Gear Ratio (1)

Gear Ratio (2)

Gear Ratio (3)

Gear Ratio (4)

Gear Ratio (5)

Gear Ratio (6)

Primary drive – 1.617:1

Top gear – 0.788:1

Final drive – 2.75

Overall ratio – 3.50

K1600 transmission

Gear Ratio

(1) 2.23

(2) 1.64

(3) 1.32

(4) 1.1

(5) 0.93

(6) 0.79

Primary drive – 1.617:1

Top gear – 0.788:1

Final drive – 2.75

Overall ratio – 3.50
FJR Gen II transmission

1st: 2.529

2nd: 1.773

3rd: 1.348

4th: 1.077

5th: 0.929

Primary reduction ratio 1.563

Secondary reduction ratio 2.698

Gen 1 secondary reduction ratio 2.77

Being a long time BMW fan, I demoed a K1600GT. It felt just too big. I also didnt like the clutch feel with the slipper. I think BMW needs some work in that department. The K12 and K13 clutch has had many issues as well, although the FJR clutch isnt exactly perfect. I ended up buying a 07 K1200GT after riding the 1600. I think the K1300 / K1200 bikes were a better combination of size and performance. Although, the sound is amazing and the torque is sublime on that 1600. Anyone of the K12/K13/K1600 bikes are all around nicer than the FJR I found.

I consider this a very fair comparison as a "defector" here. Can I just clear up one thing though that's bandied around a lot; the weight? Seriously... the wet weight difference between the two bikes is 80lbs. Seriously. If you weigh 250lbs (and I can guarantee quite a few FJR riders I personally know weigh 250 or more) then you're already lugging around the same amount of weight when you're on your FJR as I am on my K1600GT. 80lbs is really not that big of a deal when you're up in these weight classes, at least in my opinion.

Having said that though you are right; it's a big bike. That dash is wide and tall which lends more of a "car" feel to the bike. But still I don't find it a bad thing; I feel more confident pushing the K1600GT than I ever did on my FJR even after spending weeks fiddling with the suspension and replacing tires... nothing seemed to help. I finally found suspension settings I was reasonably happy with, but the K1600GT came with them right out of the gate. Of course, I typically ride in "Sport" suspension mode unless I'm on a particularly bad stretch of road, and I've long since figured out that if I want to get really aggressive I set the suspension to "sport, single rider + luggage" mode and that firms up the rear even more.

Still, the K1600GT isn't for everyone. I came from a Concours 14, so the difference is size isn't that great to me; the Concours and K1600GT are in many ways closer in size than the FJR and the Connie. Maybe part of this is just because the bike is new, but in just over a month now I've done half as many miles on it as I did on my FJR in a full year of ownership. To me that speaks volumes about how much more I connect with the K and how I want to ride it. But that doesn't mean I put down the FJR in any way... it just wasn't the bike for me. I do miss my FJR occasionally; it would do "canyon carving" quite well so long as I didn't push it too hard (see my earlier comment about trying to get the feel right!) but the K is more to my liking for my kind of riding.

I consider this a very fair comparison as a "defector" here. Can I just clear up one thing though that's bandied around a lot; the weight? Seriously... the wet weight difference between the two bikes is 80lbs. Seriously. If you weigh 250lbs (and I can guarantee quite a few FJR riders I personally know weigh 250 or more) then you're already lugging around the same amount of weight when you're on your FJR as I am on my K1600GT. 80lbs is really not that big of a deal when you're up in these weight classes, at least in my opinion.

Having said that though you are right; it's a big bike. That dash is wide and tall which lends more of a "car" feel to the bike. But still I don't find it a bad thing; I feel more confident pushing the K1600GT than I ever did on my FJR even after spending weeks fiddling with the suspension and replacing tires... nothing seemed to help. I finally found suspension settings I was reasonably happy with, but the K1600GT came with them right out of the gate. Of course, I typically ride in "Sport" suspension mode unless I'm on a particularly bad stretch of road, and I've long since figured out that if I want to get really aggressive I set the suspension to "sport, single rider + luggage" mode and that firms up the rear even more.

Still, the K1600GT isn't for everyone. I came from a Concours 14, so the difference is size isn't that great to me; the Concours and K1600GT are in many ways closer in size than the FJR and the Connie. Maybe part of this is just because the bike is new, but in just over a month now I've done half as many miles on it as I did on my FJR in a full year of ownership. To me that speaks volumes about how much more I connect with the K and how I want to ride it. But that doesn't mean I put down the FJR in any way... it just wasn't the bike for me. I do miss my FJR occasionally; it would do "canyon carving" quite well so long as I didn't push it too hard (see my earlier comment about trying to get the feel right!) but the K is more to my liking for my kind of riding.
I disagree. While I only weigh 175 lbs, 80 lbs is 80 lbs! That is an approximate 12% increase over the Gen II FJR. Closer to 15% over my Gen I. Numbers is numbers. Mass is mass. A fat pig is a beemerdons fat pig. :) Gaining 80 lbs from the FJR is a big deal. Just as losing 80 lbs from the FJR is a big deal.

I also disgree about the FJR's handling. I have no trouble taking mine to it's limits. Perhaps different riders, perhaps different suspensions.

I do agree with you that the C14 feels much bigger than the FJR, as does the K16GT.