New Member Here

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riffian64

Reaction score
Just joined the forum. Am looking seriously at a new FJR. I am a motorcycle rider of more than 50 years and a long time BMW rider currently on a 2016 R1200 GSA.

Ordinarily, I would upgrade to an R1250 RT at this point but three things have made me look at the FJR: the amount of unnecessary technology being added BMWs, the attendant price increases to pay for the technology and lastly, BMW's decision to make shop manuals unavailable to owners. That last one really tore it for me as part of the fun of riding is maintaining the bike, at least for me. Going on an FJR test ride soon....

You won't regret jumping from the Beemer ship. Most less enlightened riders will glance at your FJR and comment " nice BMW" anyway. You'll find the FJR to be much faster and very tossable at speed. Like others have commented, they feel a bit top-heavy at low speeds but that goes away once you're rolling.

Just joined the forum. Am looking seriously at a new FJR. I am a motorcycle rider of more than 50 years and a long time BMW rider currently on a 2016 R1200 GSA.

Ordinarily, I would upgrade to an R1250 RT at this point but three things have made me look at the FJR: the amount of unnecessary technology being added BMWs, the attendant price increases to pay for the technology and lastly, BMW's decision to make shop manuals unavailable to owners. That last one really tore it for me as part of the fun of riding is maintaining the bike, at least for me. Going on an FJR test ride soon....
Very good choice

Welcome from Arizona. Please let us know how your test ride went. In addition to my 2011 FJR (GREAT bike) I have a 2018 Suzuki V Strom 1000XT. I hope I don't get skewered or banned for what I'm about to say, and these comments are just my opinion. The V Strom is a more comfortable bike ergonomically. It has a more upright sitting position and less bend for my knees. I'm only 63 but for some reason my knees think that's a big deal. There is no comparison between the two for power delivery, acceleration and smoothness of ride, but then again that's not what an adventure bike is all about. The V Strom feels kind of tractorish, but it sure does put a smile on my face. To improve the FJR ergonomics I've added the lowering brackets from Murph's Kit. I've raised the seat to it's high position. I'm also going to add riser blocks and hopefully reduce the forward lean to the handle bars. I hope that helps because I'm not particularly fond of paying $300ish for a set of Helibars, but Iwillif that's what it takes. Then of course there is the engine guards from T-Rex and the tank back from SW Motcech. As you can see I have absolutely no intention of getting ride of my FJR but as we all know, farkeling is an addiction not easily overcome!

Whatever you decide....ride safe!

John

Welcome from Western Massachusetts. I've also left the Beemer ship. And I'm not looking back. The FJR is much easier to maintain. and MUCH less expensive! When working on a BMW you need a truck load of special tools too. And now I run regular instead of premium fuel. Doesn't sound significant, does it.... For me that's about $250 per year. It's like getting free insurance, plus a bottle of good wine. One thing I can say about BMW is, they can get me any part I want, and NEVER refused to service my bike. NO MATTER THE AGE! Yamaha writes us off at 10 years old, and some parts for my 06 are OBSOLITE! 😱 The Acceleration is addicting...

Welcome from Sunny ( most of the time) and crazy ( all of the time) SoCal.
I am parting out a 09 and have a nice used Helibar with 1" risers.
Shoot me a PM if interested.
Dan