Kawasaki ZZR600

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLHX

Reaction score
My son is interested in this bike. I went to look at one the other day and really liked the way it looked but don't know much about it other than what I have found on the net. Any one here have any first hand knowledge?

My son is interested in this bike. I went to look at one the other day and really liked the way it looked but don't know much about it other than what I have found on the net. Any one here have any first hand knowledge?
Better give us the specs on your son's motorcycling skills.

riding experience?

weight/height?

ZedZedRs are old-style Ninjas and pretty good bikes and make nice sport-tourers with the addition of luggage, tankbag, h/bar risers, etc. They're far from 'cutting-edge' in the 600cc sport bike wars currently but, ime, have a good, reliable track record. Major service is a 'bitch' (but then, a lot of newer bikes are difficult to service). Suspension is a little 'light-duty' (again, a familiar complaint). The m/c magazines have had many opportunities to test-ride and critique ZZR 6s and I tend to agree with their assessments. Bottom line: a good-looking, inexspensive, fast, comfortable 600 sport tourer.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's been riding for two years now on a 1992 Honda 750. He rides my FJR from time to time(when ever I let him) He also rides my Harley and has no problems. He has also ridden various other HD's and also his friends ZX-6R, and my brothers Ducati so for someone with only two years street riding experiance he has been on a variety of bikes and handles them all quite well. He is 6' tall 200lb. I know he can handle the ZZR600 but was just wondering if the bike has any problems that I should know about. He would really like a pure sport bike but I'm trying to get him to realize the virtues of a sport touring bike. Being 22 years old that doesn't seem to matter as much to him..LOL If he had the money he would love a GXSR 1000 but I would rather he NOT until he gets a little older and more experiance.

Another good choice would be the Honda CBR 600 F4i, again not the cutting edge model but an affordable popular bike with plenty of parts & accessories. Stay away from the "RR" since that would be comparable to the Yamaha R6, too racy.

Aloha,

Huladog

What year ZZR are we talking here? From 1993 - 2004 Kawasaki sold the ZX6E in the U.S. The last two years it was rebranded the ZZR600, which is how it had always been titled in other markets. I had an '02 for several years prior to switching to the FJR. Positives are that it's inexpensive and a solid all around bike. Typical of a Kaw the engine makes good power and is reasonably bulletproof. Brakes are fine, fit & finish is so-so. Where they saved money is suspension. Minimal adjustments, damping rod forks, etc. My biggest beef with the 6E was the saddle. It was designed for minimal standover height, so somone 5' tall could ride the bike. The saddle was cutout and tapered toward the tank to accomodate the short of stature. Not being particularly short of stature, I found it cramped me and forced me forward into the tank. Early years - before 98ish - have 2nd gear problems. There's a board at https://www.zx6e.net - more PG rated than this one!

From 05- onward the ZZR600 is a reincarnated ZX6R. Don't quote me on the exact years, but I think it is the '00-'02 ZX6R with a more adult paint job. By current standards it's not a repli-racer, but still quite a sporting bike with all that implies. Don't know much about this model.

- JimY

My daughter is on a Kawa 650R, her second bike. It's a lot of fun to ride. I wish I had access to it, I'd ride if I could get my hands on it. But she lives 400 miles away.

You might have your son check that one out, too. And there's always the Yamaha YZF600. They still make 'em, and it's a very good mid-size sport-tourer. I put 20K miles on one, and loved it.

And of course the Honda 600 F4i. Another good choice. Easily the fastest of the bikes I've mentioned. Suzuki SV650 is another great mid-size bike.

Any one of which is lighter and has more power than the Nighthawk 750 he's on now.

Happy hunting!

Thanks for the replys. He is considering an 06 model, maybe a leftover or one with very few miles. I will look into the other bikes...I hadn't thought about the Honda.