Kendon Trailer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucky

Reaction score
After much deliberation and waffling back and forth between an enclosed trailer and an open trailer, I just bought a new to me kendon 2 bike trailer. 1999 model, little used, stored in garage, from original owner. Has newer radial tires. Looks like brand new. Couple of questions to anyone experienced in towing. Kendon says to use 4 point tie down, 2 front, 2 side/rear using their tie down points on the trailer. My questions is what are the tie down points that you guys use on the fjr? Any close up pictures of front and rear bike tied down would be great and self explanatory. Mostly will tow behind my class A motorhome which has a full mudflap across the entire rear down to about 6 inches from the ground. Any firsthand towing advise would be appreciated. I am used to towing a tow car, so just any differences to expect related to pulling a bike. Do you tow with the hard csses on or off? Thanks in advance.

After much deliberation and waffling back and forth between an enclosed trailer and an open trailer, I just bought a new to me kendon 2 bike trailer. 1999 model, little used, stored in garage, from original owner. Has newer radial tires. Looks like brand new. Couple of questions to anyone experienced in towing. Kendon says to use 4 point tie down, 2 front, 2 side/rear using their tie down points on the trailer. My questions is what are the tie down points that you guys use on the fjr? Any close up pictures of front and rear bike tied down would be great and self explanatory. Mostly will tow behind my class A motorhome which has a full mudflap across the entire rear down to about 6 inches from the ground. Any firsthand towing advise would be appreciated. I am used to towing a tow car, so just any differences to expect related to pulling a bike. Do you tow with the hard csses on or off? Thanks in advance.
Had to transport my FJR from Mont. to TX. In a rent truck used loops around handle bars then over to side rails inside of truck.Attached the rear straps to the grab rail on back. Used rags to protect paint. Got bike back in one piece, no damage. An old riding buddy had an open trailer that he had put locking wheel chocks in,(don't have pics. sorry) the chock would hold front wheel and he would tie down rear to passenger peg mounts. we transported his valkary and my concours to Ark. that way.

Remember that the FJR is a big heavy bike...tie it down appropriately!

Most folks use some sort of front wheel chock like this Condor to lock the bike in place. Add some soft ties to the bottom triple clamp and the front end is fairly secure. I also use a Canyon Dancer across the bars to provide additional up-high support. I don't put a lot of tension on the Canyon Dancer, just enough for support.

Tie the back down with two more straps from the footpeg mounts, again not a lot of tension, just enough to secure things. So counting, I use six tie downs on the bike. I've always removed the bags to reduce the opportunity for damage.

Niehart has a great trailer you might want to check out for ideas. The wheel chock and tie-down points are positioned nicely.

--G

Edit -- I see the Kendon's come with an assembly to secure the front wheel in place. Strap it down and it looks like you're in business!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use 6 tie downs-triple clamp, bars with Canyon Dancers, foot pegs. For one bike I purchased the center rail system even thought Kendon is OK placing the bike on the outside rail. Loading a dual trailer on the center rail is much easier. I had to remove material from the chock to prevent it hitting the bottom of the fairing when loading the bike as the chock rotates forward. Tow without the bags in place.

Wheel chock, if not available, 2x4 on each side of the wheel screwed to the floor. Canyon Dancer to handlebars with ties on each side. Rear tied to one side, wrapped around the wheel once or twice and tightened on the opposite side. Can leave bags on this way.

I have about 6K miles on my '04 Kendon, but have never trailered the FJR but my suggestions would be good for any bike.

I use the Canyon Dancer and then velcro strip the hooks at the trailer tie down spot. It's important not to over compress the forks, but once, the forks compressed some and one of the hooks came off.

After you finish tying down the bike, give it a few hard tugs at the handle bars, trying to move it. This will really test how secure it is. Don't be afraid, really tug at it, test it out.

I ride my bike onto the trailer, I remove the seat first to lower the seat height.

file-7.jpg

file-3.jpg

file-10.jpg

Cool trailer.

Quick tip for the hooks. After you put the hooks on, ziptie or tape the hooks TO the bars or triple tree, or trailer, or WHATEVER it's connected to. That way if the forks compress to much, putting slack in the cable, the hook itself stays put so when the slack gets taken up again, it's all where it's supposed to be.

Alexi

The ty-down straps with the rachet handle are a nice way to go, just do not overdue. Also good idea to stop once in a while to check tensions.

THose Kendon's look nice, plus they fold up, right? I thought about them before deciding on a more utilitarian trailer, an Aluma 548. It holds only 1 FJR, but several dirt bikes, and it weighs 320 lbs, which means it can be pulled by a smaller rig.

I have a pair of Canyon Dancers and was told by pretty much everyone to ditch them, as they put lots of stress on the bars and didn't do much for stability.

Instead, I installed a Condor Chock with the trailer mount option and got 4 sets of soft ties. I looped 2 prs together to form a longer tie, then looped those over the lower fork brace on both sides, then ran tie downs to the corner.

P1030701.jpg

Next, I ran another set of tie downs to the rear (where the passenger pegs bolt up.) Lastly, one across the rear tire to prevent it from hopping up if I went over a bump.

3200 miles of towning and it was stable as anything.

I've got a boat trailer with a 3500 pound axle that someone built a deck on with 2x10's, and criss crossed a TON of 2x4's under it for stability. The thing is SUPER strong, has a loading ramp, tows well, and best part is, got it for a song and a dance.

Bad news? It's HUGE!!! Takes up the whole driveway!!!

Alexi

Wheel in chock.2 soft ties around fork lowers, rachet down tight. 1 ratchet strap from rear wheel straight back and down. Shouldn't have to be said,but buy quality soft ties/ratchet ties.

Looks like you lucked out with the slope at the end of your driveway making for a nearly flat ride-on angle.

I have a Trailer-in-a-Bag trailer that I've only used once for loading a buddy's bike for an emergencey pick-up. It's a bit steeper angle and I'd be reluctant to load the FJR on it by myself. It does have a condor wheel chock that grabs hold of the front wheel pretty tight once your on, however. You can climb off the bike without fear of it tipping over once the front wheel is in the chock. That makes it easier to strp it down.

I have a Kendon single I bought a couple of years ago, or I should say, I have a Kendon single that replaced the first single I bought. That first one was such a POS that Kendon finally agreed to replace it, after I told them I was done being their QC/rework department. Jackholes....

Here are a couple of pics, showing the front and rear mounting points/methods. I wouldn't use Canyon Dancers on the bars, too much stress on something not designed for it. Softstrap looped around triple tree in front, Softstrap looped through frame right above passenger footpeg in back, and you're good to go.

3944812145_c762dd6fe9.jpg

3945594640_5ab036a6aa.jpg

Latest posts