Kidney belts and Seat Squash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkdale10

Reaction score
I have been searching the forums for answers to a couple of concerns, and the search engine ain't finding me answers. So, new topic. Topics. Hope to hear lots of answers!

I'm off to NM and CO around Thanksgiving (from DFW) and I do have a problem - a sort-of-bad back. I made the mistake a few years ago of letting the FJR fall over and tried to lift it - the wrong way. My back popped, and it hasn't been the same since. For this trip, I'm wanting to use some back support. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with some sort of back support for 8-hour or more rides? Kidney belt? Lower back brace?

I've been looking locally, and not finding much, even with a couple of large accessory stores and lots of dealers. I have contemplated the articulated back braces that are designed for road racing, but they all seem to be constructed to move easily - until 'used' in a crash where they apparently stiffen. I need the stiff all the time, I think.

Second topic. 72k on the 2005 FJR. Almost all of that commuting to work and back. There is never a comfort problem for the 25 minute commute, but even a short highway ride and I notice - I slide forward. With 36 inch inseams, I need to be bumped up against the lip on the seat where the passenger section starts for long distance comfort. At an accessory store yesterday, looking for these two items, I was given a sample of a spray that is put on the seat, rubbed around and wiped off. It does make the seat slightly tacky, to prevent sliding. I just don't know how long it lasts, or how it would work on a long day of riding. Anyone have any experience with this sort of product?

What else would work to keep me sliding forward, other than a Russel Day-Long? I saw a small pad that is intended for the poor passenger on a sport bike, for a bit more padding. It's about 8 inches long and tapered 6 to 4 inches. It might work with the narrow end toward the crotch.

Ideas? Suggestions? I've got 7 weeks before my planned 2500 mile ride.

I've been using the Back-A-Line for some time now. On the bike and around the shop. It has a rigid lumbar support that really helps. IMHO.

I have a kidney belt integrated into my KLIM which has helped (2 Compression fractures myself)

As far as "sliding", have you ever considered a BeadRider? They are great in the summer for airflow, but you can also adjust your sitting position by

carrying a pad to (IN your case) put toward the front of the seat under the bead rider, thereby adding a slope angle "up" towards the tank. I do this to prevent

sliding also. A slight squeezing of the tank with your knees works for temporary support.

Have a good ride!

For the slipping problem, I got Techspec snakeskin tank pads. These not only stopped the slipping, but were great for control, and may also help your back as you can support yourself with your thighs.

For a brace, check out the GNR Back Brace. This is a double side-pull brace and can give a good range of adjustment. These are highly regarded professional products usually dispensed by your doctor. I believe you can get it by calling 800-523-0912, I was turned onto these by my neighbor who is a dentist, and has back problems. He is happy with his...glad to say I don't need one at this point. If your problem is more severe or higher in the back, the Lumbrosacral belt might be the ticket.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I too hurt my back lifting a BMW R1200RT using the correct method. Motorcycle Consumer News tested kidney belts sometime in the last 2 years and selected a belt called Back-A-Line as the best. I bought one and some days it offers relief and other times it seems to aggravate the problem. I am a straight up, non slouching rider but have found on my Russell seated FJR that slouching seems to be more comfortable for my back. A friend of mine whose wife has encountered the slipping on the seat problem cured it by putting a computer mouse pad on the seat.

...even a short highway ride and I notice - I slide forward...I was given a sample of a spray that is put on the seat, rubbed around and wiped off. It does make the seat slightly tacky, to prevent sliding...What else would work to keep me sliding forward, other than a Russel Day-Long? I saw a small pad that is intended for the poor passenger on a sport bike, for a bit more padding. It's about 8 inches long and tapered 6 to 4 inches. It might work with the narrow end toward the crotch...
Anti-Skid. Sometimes it has to be function over form, it's certainly cost effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help with belt recommendations but tank grip pads are handy and help out (have them on my track bike).

Now as far as lower backs are concerned:

I used to be a competitive power lifter in the early 90's and tore the crap out of my lower back in a training injury. It was never right after that no matter how much rehab exercising I did. About 4 years ago I started going to a GOOD chiropractor (against my will at first) for regular/ preventative maintenance which, lo and behold along with exercise, has improved my back health by a great, tangible amount. Don't know what you have pursued medically to help you but this has treatment helped me a lot.

Hope you find something to help you enjoy pain free riding.

I always use a back brace for long distance riding. It seems to help with fatigue. The local sporting goods store should be able to help.

+1 on the GripTech tank grips. Big improvement for maintaining position, especially while braking. Jus putting anti slip on the seat sounds like a recipe for a power wedgie.

" With 36 inch inseams, I need to be bumped up against the lip on the seat where the passenger section starts for long distance comfort. "

Any chance you have sat on a bike with the highway pegs from Garauld?? (perhaps you already have them)

but i would venture that with a 36 in inseam they would make long days waaayyyy more tolerable as well and would allow you to change fore/aft seat position more easily and with more comfort...

just a thought...

birkdale10,

How about a gel seat with a faux sheepskin cover: cost ~ 130. This will raise you up about 3/4 of an inch and you won't slide forward as you can move the pad forward and backward to counter the tendency of the seat to move you in one direction or the other.

You have not mentioned how you have the FJR setup. For example, do you have risers and pullbacks? They would help you to maintain an upright position. Ditto for the seat. You might benefit from a higher seat, but then you will really need risers.

Slardy