Anyone in Upstate NY area? ...with an aftermarket seat?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coachpilot

Reaction score
Looking to sit on a local's bike (within an hour or so of Upstate/ Albany, NY) to check out aftermarket seats.
I've had a '17-ES for about a year and thinking about an aftermarket seat. So many options, input etc and they seem to all fall back to: no silver bullet answers that are all individual dependent.
I want to add some comfort though do NOT want to be stuck in one position as like the 'Sport' more than the touring so I move around in the seat a bit more than a Russell DayLong lets you. I don't think it's a race bike ( I have an R-1 track only for that) but trying avoid buying 6 seats before finding the right one.
Thanks for your help, I hope semi-close by is out there.

Have you ever actually ridden in a Russell Daylong? Or are you basing your judgement on other people’s reports?

I have only ever been fully satisfied with a moto seat when it was a Russell. I have tried too many others to enumerate. Only the Russell works the way it does. If you want comfort, just get a Russell. You can try mine, but it’s already winter and snowy and muddy. Good luck getting to Vermont until spring.

Many that claim to be big ass-sliders for maximum cornering don’t understand that moving your ass means nothing if your torso isn’t also way over past the mirrors. it’s the entire center of mass that needs to move inside, not just your lard butt.

If you aren’t already grinding the feelers off of your pegs don’t worry about ass-sliding. That’s just showing off. And honestly, on a big pig like an FJR, you have no business with that BS.

@Fred W: Agree on it all, especially grinding the pegs everywhere trying to be Valentino!
Where in VT are you? You prob got snow last night as we here in Saratoga area got a few inches. Also, what's a Very Good Condition (actually looks brand new) Russell worth? Thanks for your time, hope to meet up when the roads allow!
P.S. I just got my first FJR last year at this time, a '17-ES. Went to TN this summer and the stock seat wasn't awful, though I'm thinking about WA,CA,TX,FL loop next year. I haven't tried any aftermarket seat, but a lot of reports just say (basically) try them and see what you like. That's why I was asking.

Last edited:
I’m in West Windsor, over on the NH border. Yeah, we got about 6” of the white stuff the night before last. Being a couple miles from pavement, that spells the end of this year’s riding season for me.

I tried many different seats on my 1st Gen before I sucked it up and got my stock seat customized by Russell. When I moved up to a new 2014, I didn’t fool around and just sent the new seats out and had them done right away.

They aren’t cheap. If you only want the drivers seat to be custom shaped (passenger seat recovered to match) and don’t mind a vinyl cover it costs $660. I did that on my Vstrom, and it works well.

D8E647EC-3565-4C6C-A662-A287DC4FFC3D.jpeg

If you want full leather and both rider and passenger custom shaped it gets up to $1000, which is what I did on my 2014 In the half-moon stitch pattern.

43892051-5935-42DB-B717-03E269F31662.jpeg

It will be the best money you ever spend on the bike for improved long distance comfort. Nothing else compares.

OP, from your post it sounds like you've read enough to not get sucked in by one man's opinion about one seat. Believe it or not there are those of us that prefer something other than a Russell seat. IMHO you're doing the right thing. Continue on your journey to find something right for you.

Sorry Russ, but it’s not just my opinion. Pretty much anyone that wants long distance comfort would agree. And the OP asked specifically about increasing comfort. I’m afraid that you represent the minority opinion on that.

Sorry Russ, but it’s not just my opinion. Pretty much anyone that wants long distance comfort would agree. And the OP asked specifically about increasing comfort. I’m afraid that you represent the minority opinion on that.
No apologies needed, I have no doubt I represent the minority. Just reminding the OP as he stated- different seats for different butts. I hate RDL seats, they are shaped all wrong for me. There are many of us out here that feel this way despite the single mindedness of RDL owners .

And IMHO the OP did not ask "specifically about increasing comfort". He asked specifically to try out others' seats before spending a boatload of money while specifically mentioning the the Russell may not be what he's looking for.

Looking to sit on a local's bike (within an hour or so of Upstate/ Albany, NY) to check out aftermarket seats.
I've had a '17-ES for about a year and thinking about an aftermarket seat. So many options, input etc and they seem to all fall back to: no silver bullet answers that are all individual dependent.
I want to add some comfort though do NOT want to be stuck in one position as like the 'Sport' more than the touring so I move around in the seat a bit more than a Russell DayLong lets you. I don't think it's a race bike ( I have an R-1 track only for that) but trying avoid buying 6 seats before finding the right one.
Thanks for your help, I hope semi-close by is out there.
If you have time to try out different seats, take my approach. Buy a good used seat (Corbin, Sargent, Seth Laam, etc) and try it out. If you don't like it, sell it on and try another. I have been fortunate enough to at least break even when reselling. Good luck with your search ! Jevers

I have had both Laam and Corbin seats, as well as the stock ones from Honda and Yamaha. Tried sitting on a Russell and could not stand it. But, 'de gustibus non est disputandum' as they used to say a few thousand years ago. I preferred the Corbin on my ST1300 but also liked a Laam that I had modified for my previous FJR. So who knows. I like the idea of trying used first. Corbin were, IMO, more firm and better for long distance riding with lots of room to move around, on a Gunfighter I think. The Laam was pretty comfortable but was not exactly perfect either. They take both your seats and rebuilt the driver and recover the passenger (to match). When mine came back, they did not fit together properly. There was gap I could slide my hand down into between the two seats when mounted. Good quality but perhaps not so great attention to detail?

I have a Russell Day Long on my '05. I was able to ride 1000 mile days on the stock seat, but did get sore and tired. When a used RDL became available I bought it. It was not custom made for my butt, but I took the cover off the seat and adjusted the foam several times until I was satisfied. Once that was done I never thought about another seat. I haven't ridden much the last couple of years, but when I did I could slide up close to the tank and shift my weight side to side for aggressive cornering when in the mood, and stay back into the wide part of the seat for long days in the saddle. It works for me.