Laminar Lip and Stock FJR Screen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Cajone

Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to get quieter air flowing around my helmet. Right now I'm using the Cal Sci XL (+4) screen which is a big improvement over the stock screen but I'm still getting more buffeting and turbulence than I'd like. An alternative I'm looking at is to get the Laminar Lip and mount it to the FJR stock screen as a replacement for the Cal Sci.

I'm about 6'3" tall and I'm wondering if anyone of a similar height has used this combination (i.e. Lip + stock screen) successfully?

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a buddy that swears by these. Had one on his FJR and now one on his ST. He's 6' 1" Ian, Iowa

I'm 6'-1" and it works for me too(Gen-1). Wasn't sure which way to go so decided to try this first. Once installed, I never tried anything else.

I am just a shrimp compared to you guys (6' 0"), but I bought a Laminar Lip almost immediately after buying my '04 and really like it. It does exactly what it advertises - it smooths the airflow out around the helmet. I had an unscheduled get-off last fall that knocked the Laminar Lip off. Thankfully, the damage was minor and only cosmetic and I was able to ride the motorcycle home. The LL got scratched, but I was able to re-attach it later and I am still using it. On that ride home I was surprised how much buffeting there was. I have been so used to having the LL in place, I had forgotten how turbulent the flow used to be without it.

It is pretty adjustable too. You should be able to find a position on the windscreen that works for you.

Happy customer, no affiliation with the vendor, YMMV, yadda yadda

Me too! Me too!! :clapping: I had one on my ST1300 and liked it, so I put one on the FJR first thing. You can get different results by setting the LamLip higher or lower, but I set mine so the top edge of the Lip is about 1.5" directly above the top edge of the windshield. It's alittle tricky getting the 3-Lock mounting pads just right so the Lip goes on straight and even. A helper who has had less than two beers is helpful. The Laminar Lip folks will send you a screw set if you want to mount the Lip more permanently and don't mind drilling four small holes in your windshield.

pet

When I bought my 2006, it had a Yamaha Touring Screen with a Laminar Lip installed. The original owner wrote about it in the October 2007 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. He is 6'1 with a 31.5" inseam. He wrote that the benefits of the Laminar Lip were negligible when used with the OEM Yamaha windscreen. However, he wrote that it worked exceptionally well with the Yamaha Touring Screen.

I'm 5"10 with a 30" inseam and I couldn't stand that screen because it was simply too high for me. I use a Rifle or CalSci because both work well for my particular height and how I sit on the bike with a Russell saddle and Heli Modified Handlebar Relocation Triple Clamp.

I'm only 5' 11", but laminar lip and stock screen work very well for me. It was the first accessory I bought for my 2008 FJR. Also have LL on stock screen on my BMW R850R..