Lane Sharing...For those who don't have it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03HiYoSilver

Reaction score
Now that Gas is around $4.00/gallon and folks are hurting, perhaps our government representatives may have more open ears to make this happen for those states that don't have it.

I have sent letters /faxes to my Governor, State Representives about passing legislation on allowing Lane Sharing in our state. This would help solve their problems with traffic, save fuel, and help with better air quality.

I'll let you know about the responses I get. If there is a time to ask, this would be the time!

I send letters every year on "Ride your bike to work day". No responce so far. Maybe this is the year.

Letters and emails only do so much. What you need is face time. Schedule an appointment with your local reps/supervisors/whatever you call them locally. What you need is someone to sponsor a bill. Make it personal and befriend your reps.

Have tons of patience, then be prepared to spend lots of time going back and asking them to help you again and again.

;)

What exactly do you want them to grant is legal,?

Driving next to a car in the same lane, or just the ability to zip through traffic when the stop and go becomes mostly stopped, or what. I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Letters and emails only do so much. What you need is face time. Schedule an appointment with your local reps/supervisors/whatever you call them locally. What you need is someone to sponsor a bill. Make it personal and befriend your reps.
Have tons of patience, then be prepared to spend lots of time going back and asking them to help you again and again.

;)
Find one who rides.

What exactly do you want them to grant is legal,?Driving next to a car in the same lane, or just the ability to zip through traffic when the stop and go becomes mostly stopped, or what. I'm not sure what you are looking for.
Here in CA, the one place it's legal, it's understood to mean moving through stopped or very slow traffic at 10 or 15 mph over the speed of traffic flow. Beyond that it would likely fall under reckless driving, at a LEO's discretion. And it's legal here because it's not specifically prohibited, which means 1) you won't find an exact definition in the law, and 2) it's subject to interpretation by that LEO. CHP Website FAQ's

Thanks for all your replies, I guess I will have to be patient and encourage others to do the same in Non-Sharing areas.

I have ridden in California for the 10 best motorcyle years of my life and REALLY miss the Lane Sharing allowances. It is hard not to continue to do this when you have done it and until things change, I will have to resort to my fond memories.

I will keep the information on the CHP Website for future use and will let you know if any progress is being made.

Perhaps some statistics that show fewer riders getting rear-ended in CA as opposed to the state you happen to be living (suffering) in would help the cause.

When sharing is outlawed, I will sell!

+1 on the face time with a sympathetic ear.

Having employed this method for my work, it might also be helpful if you know exactly what Georgia (or whichever state) law says about this specific matter, then be prepared to offer your own suggestion of what the language should say. Legislators often accept drafts of specific verbiage as a starting point.

For example, Louisiana law says:

§191.1. Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic

A. All motorcycles are entitled to full use of a lane and no motor vehicle shall be driven in such manner as to deprive any motorcycle of the full use of a lane. This Subsection shall not apply to motorcycles operated two abreast in a single lane.

B. The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.

C. No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

D. Motorcycles shall not be operated more than two abreast in a single lane.

E. Subsections B and C shall not apply to police officers in the performance of their official duties.

Added by Acts 1970, No. 538, §5; Acts 1999, No. 631, §1.

As an example, I would change the language of subsection C to read: "No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles, except on Interstates and Louisiana state highways within city limits where traffic has slowed to less then 25 mph. Motorcycles may operate no more than 15 mph faster than the flow and only when it is safe to do so."

I'm sure the particulars would vary, but you get the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm sympathetic with the folks who have to commute through environments where lane sharing is desirable. I am very thankful to be in an environment where its not necessary.

If we had it, I would hate for car drivers to decide that if I can share their lane, they can share mine. Whatever law is written, one would want it to be very clear that the motorcycle can be the aggressor here, but not the car.

If the traffic is essentially parked, folks on bikes need to pay close attention to the potential for opening car doors cutting off your lane sharing, and also for cars making their own attempt to lane shift, if not share.

15 mph is quite a big speed differential, and could confuse many folks driving cars.

Perhaps some statistics that show fewer riders getting rear-ended in CA as opposed to the state you happen to be living (suffering) in would help the cause. When sharing is outlawed, I will sell!
Toe,

Thanks for the advice. It is more nerve wracking to ride here vs. California where it was much more practical and safer. I have been spoiled and it is hard to get used to not being able to lane share and now it is ever more important to keep an eye on the rear view mirrors... This is why I position myself on the open side of the lane to the car(s) in front of me in case I have to move quick and so I would not be sandwiched just in case.

Here in CA, the one place it's legal, it's understood to mean moving through stopped or very slow traffic at 10 or 15 mph over the speed of traffic flow. Beyond that it would likely fall under reckless driving, at a LEO's discretion. And it's legal here because it's not specifically prohibited, which means 1) you won't find an exact definition in the law, and 2) it's subject to interpretation by that LEO. CHP Website FAQ's
I'm in the Sand Francisco Bay Area and lane split on the freeways (not surface streets) when the traffic is stopped or to about 20 mph and not accelerating. My issue with lane splitting / sharing, at least here in the Bay Area, is that many of the "crouch rockets" have interpreted the law to split when the freeway is moving at 60 plus mph. I have had to get on the brakes of our work van when a "rocket' has decided to split between between me and another vehicle when I can look out our front passenger window see the back of the vehicle and we're traveling at 70mph.

I will only "split" between lanes #1 and #2 (from left to right). I have had them come from between #2 and #3 or even farther and cut in front of the vehicle I've just started to overlap and cut in between my wife and I when we're in trail.

The vagueness of the law has its pros and cons. The pro is it allows us to move when traffic is stalled. A several of cons are 1) neither cars or motorcycles know what to expect, 2) the laws gets "abused" and p*s off drivers. I know I get p*sed when I'm in my car or van and get "split" at 60 plus mpg, and 3) unless the LEO is on a bike or the "splitter" gets boxed in, the "splitter" is not going to get performance award.

Most days (when I'm have the radio on, anyway) here in the Bay Area there's at least one "motorcycle down" in the afternoon rush hour traffic reports. I wonder how many of these are "those other guys" lane splitting / sharing or unsafe lane changes coming in contact with another vehicle, barrier or trash on the road.

Here in NJ, ABATE, is always trying to get this into effect. Having driven in Ca, and have had the oppertunity to have a bike split between me and the car next to me, I can't see how safe this can be. Drivers of the cages are accustomeed and taught to look in the other lane for another car before changing. no one ever says "check for a motorcycle in-between lans also." Plus whaty happens when you approach two wide vehicles and their side mirtros stick out so far that you and your bike don't fit all that well. A little discriminatory to the Gold wing riders, no?

I truely see it's advantages for heavily congested areas like CA. My suggestion would be to allow bike to ride down the shoulder of the freeways and state highways when the conditions explain above existed. This has to be safer. and convienta for all.

But definately talk to your congressman. they are the only ones that can help you.

Here in IL the law is extremely vague...

There's a law that says a motorcycle may not drive on a shoulder lane less than 8 feet wide.

That's all it says. I haven't found any other references.

Here in NJ, ABATE, is always trying to get this into effect. Having driven in Ca, and have had the oppertunity to have a bike split between me and the car next to me, I can't see how safe this can be*. Drivers of the cages are accustomeed and taught to look in the other lane for another car before changing. no one ever says "check for a motorcycle in-between lans also." Plus whaty happens when you approach two wide vehicles and their side mirtros stick out so far that you and your bike don't fit all that well**. A little discriminatory to the Gold wing riders, no?
I truely see it's advantages for heavily congested areas like CA. My suggestion would be to allow bike to ride down the shoulder of the freeways and state highways when the conditions explain above existed. This has to be safer. and convienta for all.

But definately talk to your congressman. they are the only ones that can help you.
I think it's pretty common to see this question(*) expressed, even by riders, when they're not used to it. Ever swim in a river? Don't look at the trees going by, just look at the surface of the water you're in and you won't panic and try to fight the current. As you ease between cars at just above their speed, it feels much safer than you might think. With traffic very slow and crowded, which is the best time to lane split (or share), cars aren't darting in and out of spaces in adjacent lanes like they do at higher speeds. Hell, there aren't any (another reason not to pull those squid moves at speed). So as you come through, it's very easy to anticipate when someone might change lanes, just as a spot opens up for him. Otherwise, no chance. And what do you do when there's no room (**)? Well, duh. You wait till there is room. Shoulder? too many nails, debris, dead armadillos, whatever.

I was over to Europe a couple of months ago, France/Holland and was quite freaked out by the lane splitting there. No one on a bike sit's in traffic,... they fly between car with (believe me only F'n inches to spare) and get quite upset at motorist's in auto's if they don't yield over in the car's lane. It's almost as if the cagers have to constantly watch their rearview for passing traffic in their own lane.....

-Don

I was over to Europe a couple of months ago, France/Holland and was quite freaked out by the lane splitting there. No one on a bike sit's in traffic,... they fly between car with (believe me only F'n inches to spare) and get quite upset at motorist's in auto's if they don't yield over in the car's lane. It's almost as if the cagers have to constantly watch their rearview for passing traffic in their own lane.....
-Don
Sounds like LA during rush (every hour is rush hour here).....

R

It's no wonder you split like a Mo'Fo Richard. That LA traffic is the pits to split. Been there, done that, the lanes down there are just to damn narrow for my tastes.

Latest posts