Lap of Florida (IBA)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Just returned from the "Lap of Florida" ride. I left out Wednesday 4am and returned Thursday 1030am.

Been thinking of future 48plus ride so much, I kinda threw this together at the last minute. This ride

was NOT an easy one. I had read ride reports on it, yet I didn't put much thought into it. First off- You

never leave the state. I mean How tough could that be? I left West Palm at 3:56 am and headed South

I95 to Key West. 8:01 I refueled and headed back north to Miami, then west on highway 41 to Marco

Island. 41 was pleasant (In the day) Gentle curves- 2 lanes- running along beside it the canal which I

imagine resulted in gator crossings at night. I reached Marco Island and refueled at 12:53. I was now

running about 100 miles off pace. Then came I75N where I knew the Slabs would get me back on pace.

The pace I had set was 250 miles every 4 hours (A BBG Pace) I75N took me to I10 with only one

fuel stop in Reddick. I10W with fuel in Marianna brought me 40 miles from pace. When I found Perdido

Key, there was a gas station just before the bridge to the Key, but I would play it safe with fuel on the

actual Key. Another 9 miles (18 round trip) and I had my 3rd "corner" at 10:28pm.I also purchased a

cotton pair of gloves. (You know $1 and all size large) I was not complaining now! Returning back to I10

I encountered numerous one lane construction zones and deer were far to close to the road for comfort.

I10E back to Jacksonville was COLD. Like an idiot I unzipped my liner and left it with my gloves on the

floor of my garage. A stop at LLoyd at 2:03am and I was only 15 miles off pace.

On the way to Fernandina beach (Amelia Island) I hit the 24 hour mark and checked the trip meter-

1507! Back on pace, but too close to claim the BBG. The 4th corner was done at 5:00am, just past the

25th hour. I then went on a winding road tour of Keys, Islands and bridges. Very beautiful, but very time

consuming. Finally I hit I95S and still did not feel I had the ride "In the bag". I pushed on Just south of

Jacksonville and hit St. Johns Reststop for a 14 minute walk around... This reststop was also my only stop

on my Initial SS1000 not so long ago. At 6:23 I was back at it, tired but for the first time I knew I had the

ride. I fueled in Melbourne at 8:24am not because I needed fuel, but knew I had to fuel once more before

the finish and because I needed an equipment change. I stripped down to jacket and jeans and put on my

shades. I made it to West Palm Beach- Where I missed my exit and took the next one. After a tour of the

airport, I drove to the same fuel stop that I had departed from. It was 10:31am, I had done the ride in 30

hours and 35 minutes. The time limit for the "Gold" was 32 hours.

I think the Lap of Florida (44 hour trip) would be a much more pleasant ride! The 4 "tourist trap" corners

really add a challenge to this ride. (Along with my total lack of planning) Well Live and learn!!!

1880 Miles

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been {slowly} planning my own lap of Florida as a BB1500: here to P'cola on US98, catching I10 to Jax, 95 to Miami, rest with some inlaws there, and head home via Naples to I75 to I10 to US231. To make it 1500 miles I have to go through St. Pete via the Skyway, and take I-4 to the Turnpike to go north, rather than staying on I75 from Tampa; 2 sides of the triangle, so to speak. I re-use I-10 from I-75 to US231, but there's no way around that through the panhandle if you're going to make the time you need to make. If I don't stop in Miami it would probably be possible to BBG the trip, I just don't know, though, first attempted LD certified ride and all. Lots of corners, so lots of receipts to show the corners I used.

I left the Keys out because I'm told that's a 6 to 8 hour round trip Miami to Key West to Miami. Can't spend a quarter of your time at the very tip of the peninsula! (Haven't ever been south of Miami - Kendall, actually - so I don't know first hand.)

It has also occurred to me to see if there are others who want to do this lap, but they would probably be from different parts of the state. My thought is that they would join up as the group reached their start, and others would drop off as they reached their endpoints. Logistical nightmare, but having others be part of it might help mentally and motivationally. Designating fuel stops seems the most difficult thing to come up with. Who wants to start their ride 30 miles before a stop, or have to do 100 miles just to find the group?

Anyway, my "lap" plan is just enough to get the 1500-mile mark, not actually touch the most distant points of the state. But dude!!! Riding for 30-odd hours?!??!?! Kudos, man!!!

I know the ride report was boring with numbers, but since it is a fairly new ride I wanted to help

others in their planning. If you are doing a BBG you need to do a "non extreme" ride first.But I thought

a BBG was out of the question also, so I didn't plan on it. It was accomplished however. I wanted to do

Key West First (While I was fresh) that was a good decision. My departure time was not smart. If I were

to do it again, I would depart 2-3 hours earlier. This would get me out of the Keys at sunrise. Better for

viewing pleasure AND traffic. Key west is only 4 hours from West Palm. So you could leave out of P'cola

accordingly. I suggest saving Perdido stop for return, The route: I would not change a thing. Slabs are your

friends when doing a BBG. :)

PM me if you want more details- I would like to do the 44 hour ride next month.

(Last I heard there was a group considering this ride in December)

I've got three parts of a LD plan in mind.

Accomplish a SS1000 with Jeff_Q as my only riding podna with a there and back slab ride.

Was gonna be a Nawlins' to St. Louis straight north and back in the summer months (cooler temps), but now might do east through Florida like Jacksonville and back or something (warmer temps).

Then there are some HD riders who want to accomplish same. Once I'm certified, I'm willing to "lead" another SS1000 with a group of 4-8 others. I won't feel the pressure to accomplish it and hope I can help others in the attempt, but will quit when quitting is advisable.

Then I'd like to look into a BB1500 and then consider a BB1500gold. I might well find out I like planning the attempts more than riding them. We'll see. I'll be proud of a IBA license plate frame even if I only accomplish the one ride.

I probably don't have the monetary resources or the energy to ride all 48 states on a trip, even on a leisurly time table, but it's on my Bucket List of ultimate adventures.

Then there are some HD riders who want to accomplish same. Once I'm certified, I'm willing to "lead" another SS1000 with a group of 4-8 others. I won't feel the pressure to accomplish it and hope I can help others in the attempt, but will quit when quitting is advisable.
Doing a SS1K isn't that bad, and even taking long stops you can still do it well within the time. Leading a group of 4-8 riders can be ungainly unless the ground rules are established beforehand; remember, you're limited in a group to the shortest range tank, and getting a bigger group back on the road again after a fuel stop can be challenging.

Plus, with a bigger group, it's nice to have communications between at least a couple of you; CB, etc...

A great thing about doing a SS1K is that when it's done, it changes how you look at MC destinations. You now realize that a 600 mile trip to the Dragon (or similar from your home) for a 2 day weekend is no big deal!

I only have (1) SS1K certified; I have another that I did and never sent in the paperwork. I have done numerous 1K days since and would like to do a more extreme cert ride, but I have never "chased" certs. I really look at it as a "tool" to make me a better LD rider and do things that I wouldn't have done before without much more time.

Now, when I get the FJR farkled out with all the stuff, watch out...

Doing a SS1K isn't that bad, and even taking long stops you can still do it well within the time. Leading a group of 4-8 riders can be ungainly unless the ground rules are established beforehand; remember, you're limited in a group to the shortest range tank, and getting a bigger group back on the road again after a fuel stop can be challenging.

Plus, with a bigger group, it's nice to have communications between at least a couple of you; CB, etc...

A great thing about doing a SS1K is that when it's done, it changes how you look at MC destinations. You now realize that a 600 mile trip to the Dragon (or similar from your home) for a 2 day weekend is no big deal!

I only have (1) SS1K certified; I have another that I did and never sent in the paperwork. I have done numerous 1K days since and would like to do a more extreme cert ride, but I have never "chased" certs. I really look at it as a "tool" to make me a better LD rider and do things that I wouldn't have done before without much more time.

Now, when I get the FJR farkled out with all the stuff, watch out...
+1 There is wisdom in those words! Good to have you here in this part of the forum Jim.

Also Mike if you look to do a BBG, You are in a great location. Look WEST down I 10 to Texas. The west Texas

80 MPH daytime speed limit is BBG friendly! :D

Montana Interstate highways are posted 75 mph day and night (except near the three cities in the state that are over 50,000 population), with a +10 mph tolerance daylight and +5 mph nighttime.

I'm planning a 56+7=1 (all 56 counties and 7 Indian reservations equals one lap of Montana) for July next year. The PBM navigation system [paper based maps] shows about 2800 miles starting and ending at my home. Too many obscure turns for a good multiple SS1000 or BB/BBG 1500 route, but there are far easier BBGs out West. (As an example, Missoula, MT to Fargo, ND and back is 1500 miles of 75 mph slab with minimal traffic and you don't even have to speed to do a BBG.)

What a neat ride! I plan to be in Miami for six weeks this winter, so I might have to spend a day or so and try this. Some info, pls...

Is it kosher to ride the interstates going from Marco to Perdido, or do you have to ride hwy 41 and 98 along the rim of FL? And what's the bit about 'Sand from the gulf, atlantic, etc.?

What a neat ride! I plan to be in Miami for six weeks this winter, so I might have to spend a day or so and try this. Some info, pls...
Is it kosher to ride the interstates going from Marco to Perdido, or do you have to ride hwy 41 and 98 along the rim of FL? And what's the bit about 'Sand from the gulf, atlantic, etc.?
Use the slab. You'll never get anywhere along the coastal highways. L-o-n-g stretches of 35 and 45 zones and traffic lights out the wazoo. The US highways become main streets for every podunk town they go through.

As for sand, it's actually illegal to remove sand from the beaches. If I were doing that ride I'd check to make sure of that requirement, pointing out the illegality of the act. Get your receipts to prove you were there.

Great ride report Tony, but don't ever go by my house again and not at least call. Bad boy! The MTF is putting together a LAF in the early Spring...you want to do it again?

Great ride report Tony, but don't ever go by my house again and not at least call. Bad boy! The MTF is putting together a LAF in the early Spring...you want to do it again?
I'm in depending on schedule although not sure I can keep up with Tony on the extreme LAF! Probably would be good excuse to get Greg to do it and maybe could talk the midget into coming down...

Hey Wade...5:00 am through Jax. don't think you would have wanted a call :p How do you find out these rides?

I saw the Ride around Texas in Oct. (Thinking about that) But did not see the Florida run. The 44 hour run sounds

great. That gives you 1 hour at each corner and 8 hours sleep time! I am doing the 48Plus in May. So I will play

the summer one ride at a time.

If it makes you feel better.... I rode within 5 miles of my mom near Tampa... no call :eek:

It has also occurred to me to see if there are others who want to do this lap, but they would probably be from different parts of the state.
I might be interested and I am only 40 minutes from you Foos

Hi Mike, would love to have you (and Robin) join a LAF. Lets start planning. Are you coming to the IBA dinner in Jax? Lisa is supposed to have some wild rides set up for the ride in.

Hey Wade...5:00 am through Jax. don't think you would have wanted a call :p How do you find out these rides?

I saw the Ride around Texas in Oct. (Thinking about that) But did not see the Florida run. The 44 hour run sounds

great. That gives you 1 hour at each corner and 8 hours sleep time! I am doing the 48Plus in May. So I will play

the summer one ride at a time.

If it makes you feel better.... I rode within 5 miles of my mom near Tampa... no call :eek:
A lot of the rides are posted on the MTF site (Motorcycle Tourer's Forum) if not on the IBA site. Great source of info. Check them out sometime.

I just did a Lap of Florida (not gold) last month. I also did a SS1000 and a BB1500 within the ride. I'd be interested in trying either a BBG1500 or LoF Gold. I'm starting from Tampa, though. If someone gets a ride together that goes through Tampa, holler.

Can't find anything about a Spring LoF ride on the MTF site. Anyone have further details about this?

Thanks, Mark.

I just did a Lap of Florida (not gold) last month. I also did a SS1000 and a BB1500 within the ride. I'd be interested in trying either a BBG1500 or LoF Gold. I'm starting from Tampa, though. If someone gets a ride together that goes through Tampa, holler.
Can't find anything about a Spring LoF ride on the MTF site. Anyone have further details about this?

Thanks, Mark.
PM sent