Latest MCN review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that was kind of a apples to oranges comparison, almost 3 different classes of street bikes. Petey should give us his evaluation of the FJR vs the R1200RS since he certainly seems to be enjoying his new ride.
It really is an apples, oranges, and bananas comparison. I thought it was interesting that their "panel" would buy the Caponord for riding on the roads we all know and love. The Caponord's fueling problems are an incredible aggravation, and why someone would choose that bike for just squirting around is hard for me to relate to.

Let's face it. We live in the Golden Age of Motorcycles. There are a lot of really neat bikes available.

<snip> Let's face it. We live in the Golden Age of Motorcycles. There are a lot of really neat bikes available.
My thoughts exactly! There are so many good bikes on the market now, it's hard to go wrong with anything you choose to ride. Like '007, I didn't see the real comparison with three bikes from completely different target markets...I guess since they all had two wheels that was close enough.

--G

I didn't finish reading the article on-line, I'm waiting for my hardcopy magazine to arrive. But I thought that was precisely the point. They present three very different bikes that can and do compete in very similar market segments.

My reading was that the Capo was the value leader and a very competent bike, the FJR was practically a perfect ride, and the beemer well, it does cost a lot.
no.gif

I didn't finish reading the article on-line, I'm waiting for my hardcopy magazine to arrive. But I thought that was precisely the point. They present three very different bikes that can and do compete in very similar market segments.
My reading was that the Capo was the value leader and a very competent bike, the FJR was practically a perfect ride, and the beemer well, it does cost a lot.
no.gif
I thought the funniest remark in the review was that they would spend their own money on the Caponord, and that if they'd taken these three bikes off road into the dirt, that the Caponord would have been even further ahead of the other two. Really? Does it make any sense at all to be thinking about how to take an FJR off road, and include it in an offroad comparo?

English majors, coming off sport bikes, riding bikes to a destination, and comparing their mounts. Ah, the memories....

Its like comparing the Gen I Kawasaki Concours to the Harley Fat Boy, the big V-Strom, the Suzuki SV650, and a as they all ride over to Dale Hollow. And at the end saying that the bike they really liked best was the SV650 and that if they'd done a track day, the SV650 would have even further bettered the competitors.

I was most interested in the transmission portion; I recently changed the oil in my '06, and went back to dead dinos. The PO said it had full-syn in it. The transmission seemed to love it, while the whole bike is smoother and quieter. My other bike, a '94 Honda 750 Nighthawk, was having shifting issues, and finding neutral was becoming a problem. I changed the oil, put the same dead dinos as in the FJR. What a difference! Smoother, quieter, shifting up and down was easier, quicker, all around better. Three cheers for Valvoline moto specific.

...I had to laugh though- one of the reviewers characterized the seating position of the FJR as almost completely upright, and comfortable for hours. They must have totally redesigned the bike since the 2014. Mine came with a laid over, sportbike riding position that wasn't comfortable for 2 blocks. (all hail heli and mc peg lowering brackets)...
Don't underestimate the importance of rider dimensions and their role in ergonomics/comfort. My only modification affecting riding position is a Russell seat (no bar risers, no peg lowering, etc.) and I find the fit and comfort to be perfect. That may have something to do with my 6'2 wingspan though. My point is that while you may need bar risers and whatever other mods to be comfortable others might not (or might need different mods).

Last edited by a moderator:
...I had to laugh though- one of the reviewers characterized the seating position of the FJR as almost completely upright, and comfortable for hours. They must have totally redesigned the bike since the 2014. Mine came with a laid over, sportbike riding position that wasn't comfortable for 2 blocks. (all hail heli and mc peg lowering brackets)...
Don't underestimate the importance of rider dimensions and their role in ergonomics/comfort. My only modification affecting riding position is a Russell seat (no bar risers, no peg lowering, etc.) and I find the fit and comfort to be perfect. That may have something to do with my 6'2 wingspan though. My point is that while you may need bar risers and whatever other mods to be comfortable others might not (or might need different mods).
I don't give much credence to any motorcycle reviewer's subjective assessments since there are a lot of variables that are not disclosed. A rider's height, weight, as well as riding stance preference have a lot to do with their judgements. Shifting issues are almost always due to rider skill as well as something as simple as the type of boots being worn (unless it is an acknowledged systemic issue - not so with the FJR which is the smoothest, most positive shifting motorcycle I've ever owned over 50+ years).

Objective (easily substantiated) assessments ARE valuable and can be used to determine motorcycle performance parameters to the benefit of the reader.

David Searle's personal preferences for motorcycle types leaks into his review, such as: ..."you sit on top of it, but don't become one with it." is in my mind prejudicial. He was already somewhat jaded before he straddled the FJR.

Motorcycle reviewers need to look at the motorcycle with an unbiased look at what the bike is intended to accomplish and report as such so we can decide how to choose. So David can ride his "soul mate" half way across the country (with whatever comfort and performance he desires) while we ride the FJR in complete comfort, carrying everything we need at warp speed.

Dan

I don't give much credence to any motorcycle reviewer's subjective assessments since there are a lot of variables that are not disclosed. A rider's height, weight, as well as riding stance preference have a lot to do with their judgements. Shifting issues are almost always due to rider skill as well as something as simple as the type of boots being worn (unless it is an acknowledged systemic issue - not so with the FJR which is the smoothest, most positive shifting motorcycle I've ever owned over 50+ years).

Objective (easily substantiated) assessments ARE valuable and can be used to determine motorcycle performance parameters to the benefit of the reader.

David Searle's personal preferences for motorcycle types leaks into his review, such as: ..."you sit on top of it, but don't become one with it." is in my mind prejudicial. He was already somewhat jaded before he straddled the FJR.

Motorcycle reviewers need to look at the motorcycle with an unbiased look at what the bike is intended to accomplish and report as such so we can decide how to choose. So David can ride his "soul mate" half way across the country (with whatever comfort and performance he desires) while we ride the FJR in complete comfort, carrying everything we need at warp speed.

Dan
Amen.

Magazine reviewers NEVER seem to evaluate bikes using the metrics that I would use. So the reviews are pretty useless for me.

I think of the purchase as an extended test ride. It takes me a couple of months to sort out whether or not I actually like a bike well enough to keep it.

Reviews are fun to read, especially if they like something that you also like. The FJR fared well in this comparo, but whether or not anybody actually learned anything from the review is another matter.

PDF for easy/offline viewing:

EDIT: link removed

I find it interesting we need magazines to validate or ownership on what we ride. No bike, no matter what, will please everyone. And if I could ride 5 new bikes every month, I may find the FJR shifting is stiff compared to some others. (Or anything else you may want to compare). It is compared to my wife's FZ6, but it has a much more robust trans. Just like traveling, I can find something to enjoy on almost any bike...I just can't afford them all! As long (for me) the magazine tester doesn't say something like "it's a great bike, but has no wind protection" talking about a naked, as an example. Judge the bike for what its intended purpose is that is all I ask. To me, a lot of folks that ride FJR's are on the wrong bike. (Again, not judging, just my opinion). As long as they are happy, carry on!
thumbsup.gif

Dan
Yeah, purdie much ^THIS^

Hey Searle
finger.gif
bleh.gif

After subscribe'in to MCN for over 15 yrs, I scrapped 'em a few years back.

They had a totally lame "Sport tour shoot out" where they picked a pos Bring Mor Wallet GS (Hex head) as the winner. That in itself dun seemed purdie lame, but when they picked the motor 'n transmission as be'in better than the other ST bikes, (FJR, C14, ST1300 'n K13GT as I recall?) I knew then that they're either biased or don't know shit about bikes. That wuz the last lame-ass MC publication I subscribed too, (At one point I had me up to 5 subscriptions!) and am put'in all the $$$ saved to good use; gas, tires, 'n oil.

We all have different priorities when choose'in a bike, (Seemed most buy 'em to pose.) but fer me, reliability, 'n maintenance are top priorities. Then the thing MUST be able to go over 200 mi. on a tank of fuel. (WFO!) If the shift'in's a little notchy, I don't care cuz I know how to ride.
rockwoot.gif

More often than not, there's something wrong in the listed specifications. I guess the editors are too busy to get it 100% right...

--G

Movie reviews and motorcycle reviews are all categorically full of shit. As much as they try to act unbiased, a sport bike guy will bitch about everything not a sport bike. Kawasaki guys will bitch about Yamaha and BMW guys will bitch about anything not BMW. What's funny is the absolute lack of knowledge displayed by these so-called professionals. Bunch of dipshits just trying to get a paycheck, and their advertising interests trump the truth every time.

I guess this is why I stopped getting MC mags. Too much of the same dribble.

Movie reviews and motorcycle reviews are all categorically full if shit. As much as they try to act unbiased, a sport bike guy will bitch about everything not a sport bike. Kawasaki guys will bitch about Yamaha and BMW guys will bitch about anything not BMW. What's funny is the absolute lack of knowledge displayed by these so-called professionals. Bunch of dipshits just trying to get a paycheck, and their advertising interests trump the truth every time. 

I guess this is why I stopped getting MC mags. Too much of the same dribble.

I don't care that yer a cop, will you marry me?
thumbsup.gif