LD ride advice(leaving tomorrow)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get road-hypnotized on a long ride sometimes, and I've never put up the numbers you're talking about. Too much coffee just is too much coffee, and anyway it makes you have to stop and pee too often. One solution--I like those little energy drinks. I wouldn't drink them like water, in fact they say not to drink more than one a day, but when I'm getting all yawn-y and my mind starts wandering, I like to pull one out of my tank bag and drink it on the fly. (I've developed a technique for grabbing the cap in my teeth and twisting the bottle till the plastic seal breaks and drinking it while I ride. Only works with a modular helmet, though. Or a beanie, I suppose.) Nice refreshing tart/berry flavor, too.

Altitude won't be an issue for the bike. And Garyahouse's figures are perfect. If you live on the equator. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I left around 4pm or so yesterday and just made it to Hay, Kansas. Wow, what a straight road, flat state, well Im sure Im climbing altitudinally speaking but after riding Kentucky to West Virginia this is straighter than Ohio. 75mph=good!

Gonna sleep for a few hours then knock out the rest of the trip. It suddenly got really cold. Gettin a Lil tired after 14hours(or whatever it is near the equator) of riding.

I plan to ride daylight hours on the return trip. I've never actually seen Missouri or Kansas even though I passed by them last night. More later. Ah, ah, ahhhhhhhhhh.....zzzzzzzz -_-

I so happy being a pilot!!!

Have fun with the ride into Colorado. :clapping:

It can feel cold riding at night especially. Do you have heated gear?

No heated gear. I have Gerbringnglove liners. But it more than just the cold. I Was ok,until,the last few miles. I was quite hungry since I'd done more fluids than solids since leaving. the fog got ridiculous so,visibility was very poor - 100ft. Strangest thing. I could see for 500 yards. Then 50 yards later, I could only see 100ft, for about 50 yards, then I could see 500 Yrds again but no signs of fog until I was buried in it. Visor got fogged, forgot to apply my rainX. Not a lot of places to stop either.

My time perception got wacky too. I got a little lost in Kansas City due to construction, poor signage and poorly marked police cars. slooooow down! Kansas city to Topeka seemed like 30mins, Topeka to Salina seemed like thirty minutes but 45 miles from Hays and suddenly I felt like it was taking a couple of hours to get there. So I stopped. No sense in forcing the issue, not trying to set any records or ironize my butt in riding history.

Id rather enjoy hanging with my friend when I get there than end up sleeping all day. Funniest thing, I haven't slept much! Ben tossing and turning-dang motorcyclist outside LOL, no,really, - think there's a Harley nshop nearby!

By the way, the highnfreq vibrations feel pretty good right now. Guess I'll get out of bed and go get some more. Weather is great! Thanks all.

Think my fuse blew powering gps, iPad, iPhone and iPhone battery case. Dont know where I'm going right now! Hmmmm paper map?

Dude...I know you know this, but you gotta eat. On the road, don't eat huge meals, just small stuff to get you from one stop to the other. I'm not an LD guy, but I've ridden from Albuquerque to Dayton TN and that area a few times. I do that ride as efficiently as possible, because I hate being on the road when it's just to get from point A to point B.

I always pack granola bars (the chewy ones just cuz I like them), jerky and trailmix along with my water. Make sure you eat a good breakfast, or pre-ride meal. At the first stop, eat something light, like one of your granola bars. Next stop, eat a meal. Then alternate like that. Remember, it takes almost 3 hours to run 200 miles at 80mph, so every second stop is 5-6 hours. You gotta eat in between.

I also use PowerAide Zero in my CamelBak, and just mix flavors depending on what the gas stops have stocked up. I have to be sure to clean my CB as soon as the ride is done, but the flavors give a little jolt. I'm also big on the little 5hour energy bottles. They pack small and take about 3 seconds to drink at a gas stop. Maybe one every two stops if you really need one. They are only caffine and probably won't kill you. However, if you are depending on 5hour energy drinks to get you going, it's probably time to think about stopping.

Sounds like you did ok, but don't forget that it is ok to overdress for a little bit. I'd rather be a little to warm than cold, because I'm hard-headed and even if I'm cold, I won't stop unless it gets unbearable. If you are a little to warm, just adjust your zipper and let the wind help out. You're stopping every 200 anyway, so you won't be a little too warm for long.

Have fun at your buddy's house, and ride safe.

I always pack granola bars (the chewy ones just cuz I like them), jerky and trailmix along with my water. Make sure you eat a good breakfast, or pre-ride meal. At the first stop, eat something light, like one of your granola bars. Next stop, eat a meal. Then alternate like that. Remember, it takes almost 3 hours to run 200 miles at 80mph, so every second stop is 5-6 hours. You gotta eat in between.
That right there is some good advice! I am an LD type and that's almost exactly what I do. But stay away from the burgers,fries, or anything else heavy and full of fat/grease/mystery meat. A 6" Subway is about the max you should do.

No heated gear. I have Gerbringnglove liners. But it more than just the cold. I Was ok,until,the last few miles. I was quite hungry since I'd done more fluids than solids since leaving.

The main reason why is that after you eat, your body puts a lot of blood in your gut for the digestive process. That takes it away from more important riding type things like your brain and extremities. And one of the reasons you were probably getting cold was because you were running low on food BTU's. Got to keep those home fire burning at a steady pace to maintain internal temperature

I also use PowerAide Zero in my CamelBak, and just mix flavors depending on what the gas stops have stocked up. I have to be sure to clean my CB as soon as the ride is done, but the flavors give a little jolt. I'm also big on the little 5hour energy bottles. They pack small and take about 3 seconds to drink at a gas stop. Maybe one every two stops if you really need one. They are only caffine and probably won't kill you. However, if you are depending on 5hour energy drinks to get you going, it's probably time to think about stopping.
OTOH, I'd try to stay away from the energy drinks or even coffee after mid day if you usually have a couple of cups in the morning. High amperage boosting might result in poor judgement late at night toward the end of the ride.

My time perception got wacky too. I got a little lost in Kansas City due to construction, poor signage and poorly marked police cars. slooooow down! Kansas city to Topeka seemed like 30mins, Topeka to Salina seemed like thirty minutes but 45 miles from Hays and suddenly I felt like it was taking a couple of hours to get there. So I stopped. No sense in forcing the issue, not trying to set any records or ironize my butt in riding history.
Sounds like you were almost there too. :eek: Good decision!

Sounds like you're having fun! Keep it up! :yahoo: :yahoo:

That right there is some good advice! I am an LD type and that's almost exactly what I do. But stay away from the burgers,fries, or anything else heavy and full of fat/grease/mystery meat. A 6" Subway is about the max you should do
I have the hardest time steering clear of the Waffle House while I'm doing a LD ride. I'm not allowed to eat this delicious junk at home, so what better time to do it than when on a solo ride across country. I generally pay for this 1-3 hours later.

Chris

Hey guys,

Sorry for not checking in earlier. I did make it. Within an hour or so I was sitting front row at a Denver Nuggets vs Atlanta Hawks game! The rest has been catching up with my friend, who is really my big brother. Headed out once I wake. DO NOT RIDE THROUGH KANSAS!!!!!! Ok let me qualify that, if you absolutely love straight, flat for 581 miles divided by 80=a looooong time. It was great for a few, ummmm, acceleration tests. I nevere paid attention that the state was SO long. It just never ends, linearly speaking. Of course, the FJR settles in right around that 85mph threshold so it was relaxing to ride the bike at its 50% capacity.

The last few fill ups, typically from half tank, gave a little surprise. When I opened the tank, I got a lot a pressure exiting the tank. Never experienced that on either bike. Is that normal, for the gas tank to sound like a big Pepsi can, when I open the gas tank?

Thanks for the food advice Ill use it on the way back. The second half of the journey I stopped at half a tank, drinking and relieving the last drink. Not a lot of sweat at 50 degrees. No Waffle Houses anywhere on the route. And I love that place on the road. But trail mix it is. My body responds well to Red Bull. So one at the mid point keeps me amped.

I dressed in four layers, jacket, liner, sweater, tee shirt. Once the stationary temperature drops to 50 or 60degrees, I put the sweater on. My body stays warm but once the hands get cold though, it's a done deal! On a previous trip, I gave myself first degree burns with my glove liners,and since I cut my fingers on the zipper of my tank bag yesterday, I was a little slow to add heat to my skinless, bleeding knuckles.

Once here, I had to park outside. I did bring my cover. Nice neighborhood where I am but I am used to the bike being in my garage so, I feel a little strange hopping on and jetting out tomorrow.. Check my suspension settings, cables, brakes,blights and then I'll set out. perhaps tool around town a bit, take the first two hours of the ride closer to 60mph than 80, just to be sure the bike is as I left her.

One thing is for sure, I love LD. Kansas almost kills it. No offense intended Jayhawks! I'd even chose a backload route and add time to my travel when time and money allow. My hat is off to all the brave men and women who walked, rode horses across these United Statesmof America. Clearly, they weren't doing it at 70-90mph (it just happen sometimes til I notice) but if they hadn't done it, I wouldn't have this super slab of tar to get me to my loved ones with this grin on my face. My hat is also off to everyone here who has ridden around, across and through it all and took the time to share your passion on these forums. If not for you, I wouldn't have the courage to consider such a thing. Thank you!

The last few fill ups, typically from half tank, gave a little surprise. When I opened the tank, I got a lot a pressure exiting the tank. Never experienced that on either bike. Is that normal, for the gas tank to sound like a big Pepsi can, when I open the gas tank?

Sounds like you need to check out Bounce's website

My LD routine is filled with two things at gas stops - power bars and water. Lately, I've been big on the Builder Bars - 20 g of protein. I find they really give me something meaty to metabolize while I'm cranking out miles. They're dense, you know? Fit in the suit just fine.

I eat all the time anyway, probably 6+ times per day when I'm at work. Nothing big, little hits here and there - apples, spinach salads, yogurt, power bars. Usually protein after I hit the gym at lunchtime. My food routine doesn't change too much on the road.

Heated grips do wonders.

Enjoy the ride home!

I am sure you are home and safe by now. I did notice something that helped me. I packed a couple of PB&J's in my tank bag. You can pre-cut them bite size. The fructose and nut butter will give you a good slow burn. It will keep the hungrys away and is tasty. I used healty whole grain bread for better carbs. I used Green tea with a bit of honey in one of my hydration packs. That helped with the thirst and was full of anti-oxidants. I did my BBG in the cold and dark without heated gear too. Never ever again!! It was misery for about 15 hours. I also learned a super-secret weapon from my riding partner; Powerade Power Jells!! You can just squirt them in your mouth and wash them down with water. They are tasty too. They were developed by and for Ultra marathoners. In ten minutes that stuff hit me and I felt great!! They will be in my tank bag from now on. Welcome to the madness. Hope you get that ride report turned in to Master Kneebone soon so you can get your plate backer!!

Hey all!

Yes. I made it back to kiss the wife and watch Transformers Primewith my kids later tonight! Still feeling the positive vibrations from the ride. I will post a ride report soon. My 05? Smooth.

Only one problem. I'm ready to ride out but it's back to work. I will definitely pack food and drink differently next time.

Sounds like you need to check out Bounce's website

Wheaton, Strangest thing. It stopped on its own!

Hey all!

Yes. I made it back to kiss the wife and watch Transformers Primewith my kids later tonight! Still feeling the positive vibrations from the ride. I will post a ride report soon. My 05? Smooth.

Only one problem. I'm ready to ride out but it's back to work. I will definitely pack food and drink differently next time.

Glad you had a safe trip. Getting home to the family is always the best part of a long trip.

Read your thread with interest. Man I just wish it had been me heading out on a long trip. Yes, I had trip envy.

Some folks seem to despise riding across Kansas or Nebraska, or the Dakotas, not me. I like the curves n mountain passes and all, but sometimes it's kinda nice to just slab it across that open plain country and be alone with your thoughts. Have to admit though, the trouble begins when I start singing to myself and all I can remember is parts of one lyric.

Word of caution FJRSochs, LD riding can become addictive.

Keep riding safe bud,

Mike