Lesson #17 for Fifty-Something, New FJR Owners with Bad Backs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bike needs new tires; maybe I will put a 190/55 on. Other than slightly taller gearing, is there anything else I should be aware of?

I use a piece of 1 1/2 inch drain line which I cut off about 12 inches from the flared end. . I slide the pipe over the center stand which makes it very easy to lift. I have no trouble lifting our Gold Wing but can not lift the FJR without this extra leverage.
I'm having problems visualizing this. Would you happen to have pix?

I use a piece of 1 1/2 inch drain line which I cut off about 12 inches from the flared end. . I slide the pipe over the center stand which makes it very easy to lift. I have no trouble lifting our Gold Wing but can not lift the FJR without this extra leverage.
The other regular 'fix' is to roll the rear wheel on to a piece of wood about 1 to 1.5" thick, no problem getting it up then.

Just don't try to set it on the side stand, you might be disappointed................

Very interesting, however the odd thing is the part number for the centre stand is the same for both 2009 & 2014 models - 5P5 - 27111 - 00.
Or have they come out with a new design that is compatible with the older models?.................
They certainly look similar. But, whatever they've done, there's a world of difference between my Gen IIs and my Gen III ('06 and '10 were both the same, '14 - wow, it's easy!).

[edit]

Talking of centre stands, I noticed that on mine the fixing bolts were from the inside, nuts on the outside, so removing it shouldn't require any major surgery.

(Click on image for larger view)

[/edit]

Thanks for the picture, however the bolts that are arrowed are the pivot bolts for the stand, not the fixing bolts that cause all the problems.............

Very interesting, however the odd thing is the part number for the centre stand is the same for both 2009 & 2014 models - 5P5 - 27111 - 00.
Or have they come out with a new design that is compatible with the older models?.................
They certainly look similar. But, whatever they've done, there's a world of difference between my Gen IIs and my Gen III ('06 and '10 were both the same, '14 - wow, it's easy!). [edit]Talking of centre stands, I noticed that on mine the fixing bolts were from the inside, nuts on the outside, so removing it shouldn't require any major surgery.(Click on image for larger view)
0_DSCF8548_ar.JPG
[/edit]
Thanks for the picture, however the bolts that are arrowed are the pivot bolts for the stand, not the fixing bolts that cause all the problems.............
Shite. Sorry for the false alarm. I'll go back to sleep.

However ... If your rear tire is flat you'll find putting it on the centerstand more of a challenge. The converse of having a larger diameter tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other regular 'fix' is to roll the rear wheel on to a piece of wood about 1 to 1.5" thick, no problem getting it up then.

Just don't try to set it on the side stand, you might be disappointed................
I use a 2x4 under the wheel and 1 under the side stand while I get off, then put it on the center stand. I've owned a few other bikes with center stands and my Gen2 is by far the heaviest-feeling and the most difficult to get on the center stand.

While I've not found my '13 to be a particular problem to get on the center stand, but it isn't a matter of just standing on the CS. I do have to lift up on the bike a bit. Not much, like 20 pounds. Otherwise I'll stand there all day on the CS waiting for the bike to magically rise up.

Also, I find use of the special under-the-seat handle to do so is a no-go. It requires me to bend down to reach it and pull up, which, as a dude with a back back is a no-no-no-no-no. Passenger grab rail works fine, though.

I feel it's not simply a 'step down' on the center stand lever, but more of a 'push down' on the center stand lever.
Main thing is: Do not attempt to lift the bike, or even shift it rearwards. Simply step on the center stand lever as you lock your arms and just straighten your leg. When done correctly the bike literally snaps onto the stand.
Okay, I'm gonna try the not lift the bike thing. As I think about it, I believe I do tug, and worry that some day something's gonna tear. So I'm gonna try to modify my routine. But I have to agree, there is a push down. I know because now I've got a bone bruise or something in my right foot, and I've not been able to get the bike on the stand.

Feck: If it's not one thing it's another where the aging bod is concerned. I'd like to trade my gen 1 bod in for a gen 3.

I'll admit that some days I don't have the right technique and it feels heavy. But after renting a GL1800 on a long trip...I just bout threw that FJR back a couple feet the first time I went to put it up on the centerstand.

Just upgraded from my '03 to a '13. The newer Gen3 moved the CS mounting forward slightly. I know 'cause I bump my foot on it while riding (and throw it back easier than ever).

I have had my '05 for only 2 months, I never knew it had a grab handle by the saddle bag until I saw that video. Learn something everyday LOL BTW I am 65, had one back operation and didn't find it difficult using the passenger grab rail, now I will have to try it the correct way.

Hey, wait. The 190 is the width, not the height (duh). How does that help with getting the bike on the centerstand?
Actually a 190/55 is a taller tire and will raise the bike just slightly, making it a bit easier to launch onto center stand. The 55 is a sidewall ratio of the width of the tire.

There is some lifting/pulling involved on getting the bike onto the center stand. If they think there isn't I want to see a video of someone just stepping on the center stand (ok I retract that there's some big boys on here lol). That 'leverage' they speak of is bracing their body and rolling/lifting the back of the bike rearward and up.

Make sure the front wheel is straight.

Last edited by a moderator: