Life of the Long-Distance Rider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoops

uh . . . whut?
Reaction score
Hello!

I had this idea for a short talk at the NAFO Banquet on Saturday evening. I think it would be neat to hear some of the adventures (and misadventures?) of someone who rides long distances. Perhaps some insight into why you enjoy long, long rides; how you stay mentally alert during that many hours?

Is there a "zen" to being an IBR achiever?

If anyone is willing to donate 5 - 10 minutes of your banquet time (and the time it takes to prepare a speech), I can compensate your room fee for that evening.

So, how 'bout it guys? Any takers?

sharon

Hello!
I had this idea for a short talk at the NAFO Banquet on Saturday evening. I think it would be neat to hear some of the adventures (and misadventures?) of someone who rides long distances. Perhaps some insight into why you enjoy long, long rides; how you stay mentally alert during that many hours?

Is there a "zen" to being an IBR achiever?

If anyone is willing to donate 5 - 10 minutes of your banquet time (and the time it takes to prepare a speech), I can compensate your room fee for that evening.

So, how 'bout it guys? Any takers?

sharon
I think this is a great idea! You might need to wait for the IBR5000 to finish up first though.

Are any of them attending? Bump to the top for thier return.

Not all long-distance riders participate in rallies. Why wait for the IBR5000 finishers when Tony (101stpathfinder) can do it?? He rode twice what the IBR5000 riders will do in less than 10 days.

Not all long-distance riders participate in rallies. Why wait for the IBR5000 finishers when Tony (101stpathfinder) can do it?? He rode twice what the IBR5000 riders will do in less than 10 days.
ahem . . . so Tony . . . how 'bout it? tell us why you ride all them long-ass miles? a little "romance of the bike ride"? make those who don't Iron Butt wonder why the hell we don't? hmmm? :innocent:

i'm not trying to pressure you or anything, but you ARE registered to attend . . . and you DO ride a butt-load of road . . . and I AM running short on time . . . :whistle:

ya know, chicks dig celebrities . . . :matrix: :kiss2:

:D

Speaker is still needed... Any IBR5000 vets?
yeah -- we had a magazine editor who was going to come, but he had to back out.

i'd REALLY like somebody to step up and do this talk. I'd contact people personally, but i don't who you are!

It doesn't need to be long -- just tell us an experience you had, or how you got involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaker is still needed... Any IBR5000 vets?
yeah -- we had a magazine editor who was going to come, but he had to back out.

i'd REALLY like somebody to step up and do this talk. I'd contact people personally, but i don't who you are!

It doesn't need to be long -- just tell us an experience you had, or how you got involved.
Great idea, but not everyone is cut out to be a good public speaker. Who all LD types are going to be there? Maybe it could be a group effort to take the pressure off those that have a story to tell but would be nervous about getting up in front of everyone.

I know, the thing is to imagine everyone NAKED! But, that might not be a good thought with this crowd...

Sorry I still cannot ride because of my Doctor but I would be glad in the future....
[SIZE=24pt]skype ??? [/SIZE]

I could talk about my personal suggestions of needed farkles for long distance riding...

<10 min?...bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa>

Does anyone know the gentlemen who rode from prudeo bay alaska, to key west in record time? I met him at the bmw rally in tn........He was shocked that I knew who he was and I had to check out his bike and shake his hand.

Sorry I still cannot ride because of my Doctor but I would be glad in the future....
[SIZE=24pt]skype ??? [/SIZE]

I could talk about my personal suggestions of needed farkles for long distance riding...

<10 min?...bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa>

Does anyone know the gentlemen who rode from prudeo bay alaska, to key west in record time? I met him at the bmw rally in tn........He was shocked that I knew who he was and I had to check out his bike and shake his hand.
Are you talking about John Ryan? The guy with Devil's Tower on his fuel tank?

Alright, allright, I'll do it.

I once rode over 200 miles in 1 DAY!

Man, it was exhausting.

And at that pace I had to miss alot of Mickey D's and their fine cuisine.

And I had to pee, like really bad too - but couldn't stop cause I was on a mission.

And then, it was just over - 200 miles in 24 hours!

The End.

Good luck on finding a speaker - evidently all the true LD guyz are tongue tied :whistle:

Alright, allright, I'll do it. I once rode over 200 miles in 1 DAY!

Man, it was exhausting.

And I had to pee, like really bad too - but couldn't stop cause I was on a mission.

The End.

Good luck on finding a speaker - evidently all the true LD guyz are tongue tied :whistle:
:lol:

BUTT, Your "States visited map" tells me you are sandbagging!

AND also you like to read and post in this section.

AND ... wait is that an IBA # :close_tema: :rofl: :graduated:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, allright, I'll do it. I once rode over 200 miles in 1 DAY!

Man, it was exhausting.

The End.

:lol:

BUTT, Your "States visited map" tells me you are sandbagging!

AND also you like to read and post in this section.

AND ... wait is that an IBA # :close_tema: :rofl: :graduated:
Well, sure, I had *one* moment of *certified* insanity way back in the day - but I paid my CBA fine and we all had a great party with the proceeds.

Now then, back to topic - why doesn't someone step up?

Hey - idea light bulb time...

Ken Meese just joined the forum..

So did Jeff Earls!

I hear both of them boyz know a bit about LD riding.. :whistle:

Why not PM them?

Bumpy bump da bump!