LIGHTS OUT - Front Running Lights, Tail Light & Turn Signals

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in Post #2 Donal suggested it might have been a spider bite issue. So last night I decided to educate myself on the Ground Spiders and other electrical issues with the Gen 2s. It was a very informative evening which caused me to check the recall status of my motor this morning. Turns out that the previous owner never had the Ignition Switch or the Wire Harness recalls ever done despite telling me that the Ignition Switch had been done. I guess I'm going to have to let a stealer have access to my motor.
sick.gif
Especially now that Brodie has stopped making his corrective harnesses, it is the only preventative action available to me.

A thought just occurred to me. I wonder if the previous owner added the two Brodie harnesses instead of having the recalls done? I guess while I'm troubleshooting my issue I should check the spiders and look to see if I recognize any added wiring that I did not install. I added a remote, switched, connection block to provide power for accessories rather than trying to keep adding wires to the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't find any sign that the previous owner did anything to handle the recall issues. I checked a number of Ground Spiders and they all looked brand new. So I just added some dielectric grease and put them back together. I was at a loss what could be causing the fuse to blow. Then I remembered that the last time I used my GPS it seemed the AmpliRider I had installed didn't seem to be working.

ar1.jpg

I started wondering if the two issues could be related. I checked the power source I used for the AmpliRider. I had hooked into a connection under the left side cover for the License Plate Light circuit. So I disconnected the AmpliRider from that circuit and the fuse hasn't blown since then. I don't know what the problem is with the AmpliRider but I think I want to replace it with a Bluetooth helmet speaker system instead of the old hard wired helmet speakers I've been using. Then I'll be able to answer my cell phone while riding.

I also want to add a second set of rear amber incandescent running lights/turn signals. I hope that won't turn out to be an overload of the fuse again.

Thanks again for all the help. Now I can go work on my '95 ZG1000 to get it ready for the Polar Bear Grand Tour season. The Connie is a much more comfortable Winter ride.

bear06.gif

My guess is that the amplirider is defective (partially shorted internally) and is drawing too much current. I can't see what the current draw is supposed to be on those units, but being a simple audio amplifier / mixer, I doubt that it is very much.

If adding your additional running or signal lights to the rear I would highly suggest that you use LEDs as they are much more efficient with electric power and shouldn't cause a fuse to blow (unless or until they fail).

Just try to remember that you've added these to the circuit if there is a next time, because in the electrical and electronic troubleshooting world we always suspect the MRFWU (Most Recently Fiddled With Unit) first.