Location of 2009 CFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SW Wisconsin get my vote. But, being from Northern MN I may be a little biassed as I can ride the roads up here anytime. The loop from Duluth to Ely via highway 1 is a great ride, but other than that and highway 61 up the North Shore there isn't much else.

Plus it seems fitting to have the 5th CFO back in Wisconsin. My second choice would be Missouri.

Actually, I think he refers to a big blow up that occurred a few years ago, when some folks got miffed about overlapping areas, detailed Here and Here. It ended with some banning, some yellin' and screamin', and eventually, both groups doing just fine.
I don't think Jackson is that beligerant.. he's far more cool-headed than the impression I have of that FJR1300(x) person.

SFO is held in the spring. They aren't doing 2/yr, at the present time. I would think that if CFO wanted to venture as far south as southern MO/northern AR in the fall it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe we check with FJRCHK (michelle) just in case?

I think there are plenty of roads in WI/MN and some parts of IA/IL that we could ride. Then rotate the location. I don't see why we couldn't go into Colorado either, other than the 1000+ miles some people would have to ride to get there.

Code:
Actually, I think he refers to a big blow up that occurred a few years ago, when some folks got miffed about overlapping areas, detailed Here and Here. It ended with some banning, some yellin' and screamin', and eventually, both groups doing just fine.
I don't think Jackson is that beligerant.. he's far more cool-headed than the impression I have of that FJR1300(x) person.

SFO is held in the spring. They aren't doing 2/yr, at the present time. I would think that if CFO wanted to venture as far south as southern MO/northern AR in the fall it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe we check with FJRCHK (michelle) just in case?

I think there are plenty of roads in WI/MN and some parts of IA/IL that we could ride. Then rotate the location. I don't see why we couldn't go into Colorado either, other than the 1000+ miles some people would have to ride to get there.
sounds like a good rotation plan to me :clapping:

Just to be clear, I, Jackson, did not refer to any big blow up. Rad is referring to someone else.

Let's move on to the future and keep this thread on track--voting on the location for the next CFO. So far "Other" only has 7% of the votes, so most likely it will be either MN, WI, or SD.

I placed my 2 cents on WI, but depending when the ride is going to take place I guess I can venture further. It will also depend if I am still where I am now work wise. Any idea on a month at least?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be clear, I, Jackson, did not refer to any big blow up. Rad is referring to someone else.

Let's move on to the future and keep this thread on track--voting on the location for the next CFO. So far "Other" only has 7% of the votes, so most likely it will be either MN, WI, or SD.
I was loosely comparing what I read in the "bad news" thread to today; I know Jackson wouldn't step on toes. That's all. In other news...

"Other" might get some bumps if we discuss other location options. Although WI would work for me... We could set next years venue then toss around another location.

What month? I would venture a guess at September. After Labor Day weekend. I thought of suggesting that we hold CFO the weekend AFTER Labor Day so that everyone would remember it, but then some people might need a weekend to recover from Labor Day :) (and it's a 4-day work-week if you don't work holidays).

I'm all for the second weekend in Sept. It's to hard to get away the weekend after labor day, to short of work week. I think we can set next year (2009) by Oct 1 then think about 2010.

SW Wisconsin gets the vote, only because of it's more central location to most of the members. I'm with Wheaton as for a Missouri - Arkansas gathering, great roads to ride and deserves serious consideration if the meet where to be scheduled for a later date like October.

Given a choice of riding a weekend in either, I have to flip a coin to decide.

It looks like people are leaning towards SW WI...which is a good place to ride.

I'm with others that like the idea of rotating the venues between SD, WI, & MO...and other places if interest is garnered. Just so you know...I'm not and was not trying to "stir things up"...just wanted MO to be considered at some point in time. There are great roads in southern MO and it is far enough away from the SFO venue so as not to compete with it...especially if dates were coordinated to be at a different time of the year.

Just so you know...If it was down in MO or up in WI, then early to mid May or late September would be optimal times to stay away from the heat. A spring meet should be considered sometime...as CFR and EOM have been in September...so it would be nice not to have all the rallys stacked up in the same time of the year. That way people could look forward to events in the spring and fall.

IIRC, the last CFO in WI was at Sparta, a good location to be sure. I planned to go but life intervened :-(

Perhaps for this CFO a better choice might be Prairie du Chein - this would offer access to day trips in SW WI, NE IA, SW MN and NW IL (just head whatever direction the weather is best). There's a Best Western in PDC that looks nice and has decent accomodations and rates.

Just throwin out ideas - I got no connect with the BW hotel, just looked like a nice place on th e website.....

Just so you know...If it was down in MO or up in WI, then early to mid May or late September would be optimal times to stay away from the heat. A spring meet should be considered sometime...as CFR and EOM have been in September...so it would be nice not to have all the rallys stacked up in the same time of the year. That way people could look forward to events in the spring and fall.
+1

A spring event would definitely give us something to look forward to during those cold winter months!

IIRC, the last CFO in WI was at Sparta, a good location to be sure. I planned to go but life intervened :-(
Perhaps for this CFO a better choice might be Prairie du Chein - this would offer access to day trips in SW WI, NE IA, SW MN and NW IL (just head whatever direction the weather is best). There's a Best Western in PDC that looks nice and has decent accomodations and rates.

Just throwin out ideas - I got no connect with the BW hotel, just looked like a nice place on th e website.....
My dad is in, or through, PDC often. I could ask him to scout hotels that might have a conference room big enough for 40 people.

I'm not volunteering for rallymaster duty, but I'll help 'scout' locations in NW IA or extreme SW WI

I'm also checking on a Hotel this week just outside La Crosse. It has conference rooms, caters meals, and has a bar in the basement of Hotel. I'm there 3 to 4 times a year now for my business. We have our Annual Regional Meetings there. We get our rooms for 61.00 a night. And they are NICE rooms.

Although if the choice is to be down more south that is fine with me also. I just offered to check on it with Jackson a week or two ago and he said that will be fine. Because I'm there so often within the year, I did offer to head up the planning if it is in that area. Not because I'm wanting to be the rallybastard, but just because it is easy for me to do it because I'm there. If its held in the deeper south of WI and somebody knows of an area they are welcome to chime in and take the ball also.

The Hotel is

Stoney Creek Inn

3060 N Kinney Coulee Rd,

Onalaska, La Crosse, WI 54650

devanator

That is great. It is less then an hour away from Wild Cat and other nice roads.. Not a commuting distance on a daily basis from IL, but close enough to be home if anything happens. I like it :)

I'm also checking on a Hotel this week just outside La Crosse. It has conference rooms, caters meals, and has a bar in the basement of Hotel. I'm there 3 to 4 times a year now for my business. We have our Annual Regional Meetings there. We get our rooms for 61.00 a night. And they are NICE rooms.
Although if the choice is to be down more south that is fine with me also. I just offered to check on it with Jackson a week or two ago and he said that will be fine. Because I'm there so often within the year, I did offer to head up the planning if it is in that area. Not because I'm wanting to be the rallybastard, but just because it is easy for me to do it because I'm there. If its held in the deeper south of WI and somebody knows of an area they are welcome to chime in and take the ball also.

The Hotel is

Stoney Creek Inn

3060 N Kinney Coulee Rd,

Onalaska, La Crosse, WI 54650

devanator

Looks like a winner Mike. :clapping:

IIRC, the last CFO in WI was at Sparta, a good location to be sure. I planned to go but life intervened :-(Perhaps for this CFO a better choice might be Prairie du Chein - this would offer access to day trips in SW WI, NE IA, SW MN and NW IL (just head whatever direction the weather is best). There's a Best Western in PDC that looks nice and has decent accomodations and rates.

I'll help 'scout' locations in NW IA or extreme SW WI
I've stayed in "Dog Flats" ('rough' translation of PDC) with a large-ish group of sport riders (40 or so) and it worked well as a location for accessing good riding.

Nothing wrong with the La Crosse area, either -- for being close to fun riding.

A plus for PDC (in my view) -- no Interstate Highway nearby. YMMV... :)