Location of 2009 CFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC, the last CFO in WI was at Sparta, a good location to be sure. I planned to go but life intervened :-(
Perhaps for this CFO a better choice might be Prairie du Chein - this would offer access to day trips in SW WI, NE IA, SW MN and NW IL (just head whatever direction the weather is best). There's a Best Western in PDC that looks nice and has decent accomodations and rates.

Just throwin out ideas - I got no connect with the BW hotel, just looked like a nice place on th e website.....
All this talk of SW Wisconsin brings back memories of some great Dead shows at Alpine Valley. I may have to come up next September for a nostalgia tour.

Doubt I get to see those saurian iridescent glistening dreadlocks coming out of Lake Geneva yelling "Mom says it's time to get out of the pool!" again. We called this great female amphibian Genny instead of Nessie. Maybe a tour of the Playboy mansion?

I'm just sayin'

No fall freakout for SFO. It's Springtime only. I didn't vote but will keep lurking with wonderful faded memories of Southern Wisconsin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having lived in N. MN (near Duluth) for 16 years I'd say its a bad idea especially in late Sept. I have seen snow in late Sept. It won't last long but could kill a weekend and could get very chilly. Of course its's been minus 44 in Duluyh so chilly is anything above zero. There is only 20miles of twisties on Hwy 1 leavining Ely going toward Two Harbours. Lots of scenery, lots of deer ands you might meet a moose north of Duluth. I like N.MN. and have friends there and N Wisconson.

I have always heard SW. WI. is better.

I would like to pose a suggestion. A trip around Lake Superior. It would include N.MN, N.WI, and Onterio, CA (Passport). It is approx. 1200miles so 3 or 4 days is easy. And yes, it is called the mid west. You can do it in Sept. The earlier the better. It has cooler temp in the summer so it would be nicer than may of the rallies which hit 95 to 105 degrees.

What does everyone think?

P.S. I now live in AR. where the twisties start at my driveway. Areoswitch is in Duluth and you 10% off for buying in person.

Last edited by a moderator:
A plus for PDC (in my view) -- no Interstate Highway nearby. YMMV...
Y'know, that's the only reason I thought of PDC over LaCrosse. Ain't like it's a deal killer tho - traffic in LaCrosse can be avoided if necessary, and LaCrosse would have more amenities if you chose a shorter day of riding. Hmmmm.....tasty choices....

I would like to pose a suggestion. A trip around Lake Superior.
From LaCrosse, to Duluth, around Lake Superior to St Saint Marie, then back to LaCrosse is just over 1400 miles. Could easily be stretched to 1500. BBG anyone????

From LaCrosse, to Duluth, around Lake Superior to St Saint Marie, then back to LaCrosse is just over 1400 miles. Could easily be stretched to 1500. BBG anyone????
Definitely interested in a BBG as part of the fun. A quick dip to Milwaukee would stretch the distance. I don't have any experience with the roads on the top of the route but I'm guessing the roads on the upper part of the trip would make a 24 hr loop more than difficult. Add in two potential border delays for the fun. I would definitely be interested in a BBG run but this looks like it would be more of a 36 hour trip at my pace.

Definitely interested in a BBG as part of the fun. A quick dip to Milwaukee would stretch the distance. I don't have any experience with the roads on the top of the route but I'm guessing the roads on the upper part of the trip would make a 24 hr loop more than difficult. Add in two potential border delays for the fun. I would definitely be interested in a BBG run but this looks like it would be more of a 36 hour trip at my pace.
Not to get too far off topic, how about a Mighty Mississippi SS1K? A quick route following the MM from PDC to Itasca and back is 960 miles. That would give the folks that want a taste of Northern MN a bone. Just think'n.

Interesting, but yes, we are getting off topic. I am in in talks with motel right now. Lets get that taken care of first. Then we will find out where we can begin from.

SOUTHWEST WISCONSIN!!!!! If you've never been here, you won't believe all the awesome scenery and twisties :yahoo:

:clapping:

SOUTHWEST WISCONSIN!!!!! If you've never been here, you won't believe all the awesome scenery and twisties :yahoo: :clapping:
CFO was held there a couple years running.

I didn't know that. Just bought my FJR last fall and new to the list. A great list at that...Still , my vote stands for SW Wisconsin. It's hard to beat but will be open to anywhere in the northern midwest.

And still another (although a stark raving mad lunatic) vote for SW WI! FJRForum appears to have many members too new to have attended the 2005 and/or 2006 festivities here in WI. Might two years layoff be just enough? Besides, word is some of y'all can be awfully fun to ride with.

what??? no votes for kansas??????? :p

i didn't vote because i'm not sure if i will be able to make next year's CFO(but i want too)

i have been to wisconsin before and would like to make it back there( as long as somebody teaches them folks up there how to make sweet tea :p )

i didn't vote because i'm not sure if i will be able to make next year's CFO(but i want too)

i have been to wisconsin before and would like to make it back there( as long as somebody teaches them folks up there how to make sweet tea :p )
Throw in yer own d@mn sugar there boy...use yer hands fer sumpin besides scratchin yerself. :lol:

Throw in yer own d@mn sugar there boy...use yer hands fer sumpin besides scratchin yerself. :lol:
not scratching, pulling , there is a difference :p

go eat some corn illinois boy :lol:

Post #33 was a vote for Kansas
Actually...., (in addition to the above) there's some fine riding in KS -- the Flint Hills Byway comes to mind and the area west of Salina: Marquette M/C Museum, KS 140 (old U.S.40) toward Ellsworth, and the 'Post Rock' country.

Still..., voting looks heavily in favor of S.W. WI.

I've been busy this last week. I'm going to be talking to Hotel and getting final numbers gathered. I'll tell you right now Stoney Creek, (the one I've mentioned in the pervious post) is out. I'm working on a different one. I'll hopefully post up with something this week.

As far as SW WI, I don't think that is in question. Right now its just a matter of which Hotel we can get nailed down.

Especially this year with so many voting for WI. Next year we will look at other options.