Long riders...tunes?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wing speakers,with abba,cher, and blondie, all shuffled,works for me on wing trips. Thought of tunes never entered my mind for fjr rides, less slab stuff hence more involvment in negotiating roads, traffic, scenery and internal peacefullness that results.

I recently dumped the ear plugs for the music. Now, I don't want to ride without it. Further, I've got a really nice set of noise cancelling ear buds. They seal really well in my ear canal. No wind noise gets in my ears, and the sound of the music is decent.

But I'm thinking of getting these:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=758631&Q=&O=&is=REG&A=details

Pricey, but I'm told it's like listening to a Bose system in your house.

The problem with not having tunes to listen to is that tunes will get stuck in your head and you can't replace them. Stuff like Justin Bieber or other earworm.

DAMHIK. SMH-10 coming soon.

Almost always have tunes... I just use my Nano with my JVC HA-FR36, they're like foamies with a speaker built in. So double bonus of decreasing noise and awesome sound for headphones....I can put the Ipod in the pocket of my jacket and there's a button on the cord that comes out the bottom of my helmet perfectly for pausing, fast forwarding or rewinding. Love it.

I listen to music full time with Etymotic er6i ear-buds plugged into a Zumo 550. 1000 mp3s on a SD card and the Garmin GXM-30 XM radio keep me happy. I only listen to the wind when the XM antenna is out of line of sight to the satellite.

Combination of both for me. On my recent 1000 mile venture it was about 50/50. Nice to have the tunes but also nice to have quiet too.

You riders who do 300 mile plus days...do you do it to music or is it just you and your (crazy) random thoughts.
300 miles a day? That's crazy talk. If you have to put fuel in more than once in a day....you're doing something weird. Over 400 and your bike explodes. ;)

iPhone with 27GB of my 80GB collection via MixIt and Etymotics. Mixture of music, comedy, and occasional book on tape. Occasionally I turn it off when the voices tell me they want my undivided attention. Garmin and V1 just talk over the top of it as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
mp3 plugged into an amplirider along with zumo and adaptiv tpx radar detector that goes into my J&M CB unit 3mm input...J&M medium priced helmet headset

I purchased a couple Sanza Fuze gen 1st at 16gb and load them up from my puter

they are the clicky dial switch with screen...$35 on ebay used

it sits in the clear map case of the tank bag and I can just reach down to skip songs, move between them, and pause

3708483364_2db01fa377.jpg

I recently dumped the ear plugs for the music. Now, I don't want to ride without it. Further, I've got a really nice set of noise cancelling ear buds. They seal really well in my ear canal. No wind noise gets in my ears, and the sound of the music is decent.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=758631&Q=&O=&is=REG&A=details

hppants, what are you currently running???

Use plugs that go into your ears. I really like my Skull Candys, but ear buds are very subjective, so find what works for you. Don't be surprised if you get it wrong the first couple times.

Have fun...
I also really like the skullcandy. I've dumped several hundred bucks on various buds but keep coming back to them. A big advantage is they're about 1/8-inch shorter than a lot of the other buds, which keeps them from getting painfully mashed into your ears or knocked out of place when putting on the helmet. Foam works better than silicon. Others that blocked noise really well were Shures, but IMHO they blocked so well I was worried I'd miss hearing sirens, so I keep them at work to block out coworkers. Haven't had any luck at all with noise-cancelling (Sony and Bose tried). My guess as to why is wind noise varies in pitch just enough to defeat the sensors/cancelling effect.

You riders who do 300 mile plus days...do you do it to music or is it just you and your (crazy) random thoughts.
300 miles? I thought you said long. That's a breakfast run.

I have a pod-player of some kind and feed it into in-ear, custom molded ear monitors. I mix sources through the MixIt2 and feed my GPS, V1, and music (recently having switched to Sirius instead of a pod player) into the ear monitors.

In 2003 I was using a 20Gb hdd-based MP3 player that was full. In the 11 day ride it cycled through all the songs (128K/bps) about 2.5 times. I can turn down tunes and make them background. With audio books (and comedy channels) I can't pay attention to them enough to benefit from them and also keep appropriate concentration on the road (so I don't do those).

My problem with Skullcandy brand is they aren't durable. They fall apart too easily for their cost.

As documented here and elsewhere over the years:

https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/ear/ear.html

https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/cb/cb.html

https://www.mixitproducts.com/mixit2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Full time music here, even on a commute (but then I was a DJ when I was younger, and into the car stereo competition scene in the late 80's - early 90's). I've done music a couple of different ways on the bike, but my current setup is the Sena SMH-10 (1st Gen) with the ear bud clamp, and custom molded earbuds. I'm piping music from my iPhone via Bluetooth. Bonus for me is that I fly for work a lot and the custom earbuds are the way to go to drown out the noises on a commercial jet these days...

I use my iPhone with a Bluetooth connection to a Sena SMH10 for accompanying music. When in cell range I use IHeartRadio since it gives me random selections in line with my "channel" preferences, but out in the boonies I rely on a preset lineup of playlists that are about 3 hours long each.

hppants, what are you currently running???

I'm not really sure. They were hand me downs from a friend of mine. I'll check tonite to see if there is a name brand or something. They seal very well and stay in my ear - no wind noise what so ever. But the music (especially the bass tones) is kind of so so. So I'm kind of looking for better sound, but I hope I don't lose the sealing capability. Wind noise over good sound ain't helping nothin...

I'm using the in-helmet speakers that come with the Sena - they are convenient and sound is marginal to OK. I've been interested in the noise-isolating speaker types but have been concerned about comfort and whether you end up pulling the ear bud out when you slide your helmet on.

How far out of your ear do these Shure models extend if at all? And what is your experience in terms of trouble with your helmet pulling on the wires? Any issues?

https://www.bhphotovi...s=REG&A=details

I'm using the in-helmet speakers that come with the Sena - they are convenient and sound is marginal to OK. I've been interested in the noise-isolating speaker types but have been concerned about comfort and whether you end up pulling the ear bud out when you slide your helmet on.

How far out of your ear do these Shure models extend if at all? And what is your experience in terms of trouble with your helmet pulling on the wires? Any issues?
For me, the etymotic earbuds did not fit my ear well (ear pain after awhile)and slipped out when I would put the helmet on. However, my wife using the same earbuds on our recent trip said that the earbuds were great, comfortable and did not slip at all when putting on the helmet.

Therefore, I think how well it works is an individual thing.