Look what followed me home today.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I am willing to be educated.
I have quite a few miles on Dad's Gen2 with factory suspension. I have a 14 mile demo ride on the '14 ES. I am NOT a suspension expert.

I have no issues with OEM Gen2 suspension. I was blown away by the ES. The changes in damping brought about immediate results that were real world useful and I could easily see myself making those changes while on a ride. The preload changes were obvious as well and I would certainly use them based on bike load but not so much during a ride as before the ride.

I found the ES to be much more controlled than the Gen2. Everything seemed more solid, smoother, less harsh, more controlled.

Why do you say the inverted fork is worth more than that immediate and wide range of adjustability?
I can't offer a education, just my impressions after 1300 miles of ES ownership. I also had a GEN1, GEN2, and still have a '13A. The GEN1 had the GP Suspension fork rebuild and a Wilbers shock, both of which were eventually moved to the GEN2 and I thought worked better in the GEN2 than the GEN1. I just traded that bike, a 2008, for the ES, so my impressions are pretty current and I can certainly understand why you were blown away by the ES.

The ES is more solid, smoother, less harsh, more controlled and that is due to heavier spring rates, greatly improved damping, and the increased rigidity of the inverted forks. The '13A has the heavier spring rates and improved damping but does not have the inverted fork. The ES also has the smoothest engine of any FJR I have ever ridden and that contributes to the overall ride quality and refinement.

The 4 preload adjustments are great if they fit your needs. The solo plus luggage fits my weight and riding style when I am solo, I need more preload when I actually have luggage but going to 2-up doesn't work very well because the damping settings offered with that preload have too much damping. On the '13 I can switch to the hard spring setting, make a minor adjustment to the damping, and I am ready to go. The ES requires me to choose between slow steering or a less plush ride.

After dozens of trials on about every road surface available, I think the solo plus luggage preload and the STD 0 damping fits me the best and it is very good. However, the range of damping from SOFT -3 to Hard +3 is actually very narrow and several of the magazine testers have made similar comments. I can notice a small improvement in ride quality by switching to the SOFT setting on very smooth road surfaces but any advantage in that setting disappears quickly when you encounter a bump. I haven't found a use for the HARD setting, I can't detect any improvement in handling. Again, the range of adjustment is very narrow, and if someone else was controlling the damping I wouldn't be able to detect when the damping was changed and would not have any idea of what setting was being used, any road surface I ride on will have greater changes in any given mile than the damping variance offered for that preload.

I've been testing the damping settings for 1300 miles and am just going to use the STD 0 and hope that the ride quality stays the same as the suspension and oil ages. I have ridden 5 BMWs and 3 Ducatis with electronic suspensions and the damping changes are very noticeable when you change the damping, this doesn't mean that those changes are improvements, but I could certainly feel the change. When I change the ES damping there doesn't appear to be any immediate change at all, I have to ride a while and then make a very subjective evaluation of the change. I know other have reported otherwise, but my evaluations are pretty consistent with what the moto-journalists have reported.

I think the ES is a significant improvement over the '13 due to its smoother motor and inverted fork and also appears to be a "tighter" package and more refined. I have not ridden a '14A and it also may be an improvement over the '13. I know there are a lot of doubters concerning the valve added of the inverted fork, but I also have a C14 with an inverted fork that is more stable than the '13 at speed, cornering, and in winds; but not any better than the ES under the same conditions.

I really like the ES but at this point cannot see any additional value from the ES itself. I would much prefer to have fully adjustable suspension that I can fine tune rather than a lot of preset damping combinations where I am searching for the one that seems to work the best.
Good review and I agree with most of it. I'm 200 pounds with gear and I find the 1 up with bags the best with or without bags. My best setting for more agressive twistie or bumpy corner riding is hard +1. I do switch it to standard or soft on the fly daily in my long freeway commute. It is much more stable and confidence inspiring then my Gen II.

I found the 2 up with bags settings very good with my daughter with I, she's probably 130 pounds and we had bags of gear. The hard was great for us in the corners and the standard was comfortable on the freeway. Soft for us felt like a Lincoln Towncar and was a little too plush for me. I switched it to soft on the freeway without telling my daugher and she immediatly commented that it felt like we were floating.

Good review and I agree with most of it. I'm 200 pounds with gear and I find the 1 up with bags the best with or without bags. My best setting for more agressive twistie or bumpy corner riding is hard +1. I do switch it to standard or soft on the fly daily in my long freeway commute. It is much more stable and confidence inspiring then my Gen II.

I found the 2 up with bags settings very good with my daughter with I, she's probably 130 pounds and we had bags of gear. The hard was great for us in the corners and the standard was comfortable on the freeway. Soft for us felt like a Lincoln Towncar and was a little too plush for me. I switched it to soft on the freeway without telling my daugher and she immediatly commented that it felt like we were floating.
I now have 2600 miles on the ES and am still experimenting. The 2-up preload (with just me) appears to have a better ride now that the suspension has broken in a bit but the ride quality still is not as good as the solo plus luggage. I like the quicker steering the 2-up preload provides for tight corners and its pretty easy to stop, strattle the bike, and change the preload....but I can also accomplish the same thing on the 13A by stopping and reaching down to flip the shock spring setting to "hard".

I haven't experienced a too plush ride by using the soft damping position but I have noticed that by going to Soft-3 or Soft-2 (in the Solo plus luggage or 2-up preload) there is insufficient rebound damping that results in a pogo effect over bumps or dips in the road. Maybe you are describing the same feeling when you refer to "floating". In any case, going to those settings certainly are not improvements and I continue to go back to the STD-0 position as my favorite overall damping for just about any road surface.

I haven't had the opportunity to ride the ES with a passenger but its going to be hard to beat the ride quality of the 13A when 2-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a sweet piece!! The red looks amazing. I am a fan of ES too but have a bad leg and need to keep my AE. If not I would join you.

Latest posts