Looking to replace my RT. Have a few questions.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm riding a 2015 R1200RT. Love the bike and it's been relatively problem free for 48k miles. But...

I would like a little more power, among other things.

I could wait for the 2025 R1300RT, which I know is right around the corner, but BMW seems to have gone out of their way to make it difficult to do your own work on the bike. I got one of the last rounds of update-able service manuals/CD-ROM's before they announced an end to providing those. So, I'm leery of purchasing another one of their bikes and being a slave to their parts and labor. Which are not cheap. It seems like comparable parts and accessories for the FJR are literally HALF the cost of their BMW counterparts.

But I digress.

My questions:

1. Can I get the Yamaha top box color matched directly from the dealer or do I have to deal with that on my own after I buy the bike?

2. How is the wind protection? The RT is the best of any bike I've ever ridden and I've had a few. Just wondering if I'm going to have to go down the aftermarket windshield rabbit hole.

3. The handlebars seem a bit forward and low. I had the same problem on my Kawasaki C14 and I could never get comfortable on that bike. The lack of cruise control was what stopped me from spending the money to fix it. Is there reasonable solution that will raise the bars and put them back a couple inches?

I know, I know...use the search function! But I just became a Forum Supporter! I'm hoping that buys me a few annoying new guy questions. Just to save time.

The dealer doesn't have test rides, but after you sign the paper work, they'll let you take it out for a few miles and if you find you don't like it, and you bring it back in one piece, they'll tear up the paperwork and cancel the deal.

They say.

Kind of lame if you ask me. HD and BMW will practically throw you a set of keys.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input. Much appreciate.

First..Find another dealer. If they wont let you ride with a license and prof of insurance I wouldn't let them have my money.
#1 yes you can order a top box in color match for most all the models years ($700), My Gen 1 came with it factory but at some point they stopped doing it at the point of sale.
#2 I think the screen is fine( 6' tall and 300lbs so I'm not little) but at worst case there is a touring windshield that is larger.
#3 you have a little bit of factory adjustment that's very simple to do. After that they have a riser plate and then next step is Helibars for the most adjustment.
Hope that helps

Marko, Mama Yama sells a color matched top box ... most of us prefer Givi due to larger inside and firmer mounting bracket.

There is a Touring windshield from Mama available. Fix the bars first, then the seat, then address the windshield.

Risers help, also a Heli block raises the bars. FJRs lean in a 'little more than -0-' so try it before you change it.

I agree the dealer is iffy. Try to find a used example @ a nicer dealer for a test ride. Or bring it up here, and someone can help you ride theirs.

Lastly, I rode a 1250RT for a week in Europe. Loved it for slower, tighter turns. The FJR really shines on the faster sweepers ... etc. etc. etc.

Try to find a used example @ a nicer dealer for a test ride. Or bring it up here, and someone can help you ride theirs.
Vegas to Minnesota would be two more lovely IBA BBG's for my wall. But time and work schedule make it a somewhat less prudent choice for a test ride. Looking around here to see what I can find. But thanks for the offer! Decent of you.

Ask your local dealer(s) if there is a factory demo day coming up.
Maybe the timing will work out for you.

There are two OEM top cases, 37 & 50 lt. The smaller fits the OEM rack. The larger requires additional mounting bits and (minor) cutting of some tupperware. I believe another forum member recently reported having trouble finding the replacement rack required by the bigger case. If going OEM, be sure the dealer supplies the third key/lock set, the case ships without a lock. There is a semi useful liner for the big case, I dont recall if there is one for the smaller case.
Yes, bars, seat, windshield is the order of the day.
Search will give you lots to read on all three.
-Steve

I used to have a 1250RT and have had several FJR’s and have one now. The RT definitely has more wind protection which is the reason I sold it. I am usually hot not cold on a ride and it was too much air blockage as it’s a wide bike and I could not get air on sides of my jacket. The FJR is not as wide and has much better amount of airflow in my opinion. I also have a 1250GS which I find to be the best touring bike and compromise of airflow. It’s just right for me. The FJR is a close second. RT is superb bike but not enough airflow to my body for me. All 3 are great bikes.

Vstream N20308 windscreen. MV Motorad or Helibar risers. Helibar require cutting or removing the stock cable loom. Others can chime in on these 2 options. Shad is another top case option. I have a Shad SH48. Most do not care for stock seat. That’s a whole different topic. I’m trying out a Sargent which some think are hard like Corbin. Majority consider Russell and Laam custom the best. I will likely try a Seat Concepts seat next. BTW, the the seat is adjustable by 1” high or low. Lastly, at 6’1” I’m also trying the Murph’s rider peg lowering kit which lowers pegs 1.25”. Some, including myself have issues with the “toe in” issue with these due to pegs not only being lowered but also set outboard about 1.5” causing the rider to have to adjust to angling right “toe in” for brake and left “toe in” for shift. Others dislike the lowered peg reduced ground clearance. Lot’s of adjustment options. All in all, a well loved steed and very helpful crew here as you will find