Loose bolts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLDCUT

Reaction score
Well, I had what I would consider a close call today. Nearing the end of my 48 mile commute home from work, I felt what I would refer to as a faint shudder emanating from the front wheel. This feeling presented itself as I was slowing to a stop at an intersection and while I was applying light combination braking. Convincing myself that I must have traveled over an abnormality in the roadway, I continued on and made it home. Upon bringing the Feej to a full and complete stop in my garage, I again felt the shudder and heard a very audible “clunk”. I dismounted and began to inspect the front wheel area. I initially thought that perhaps something had managed to get wedged up underneath the front fender. After not finding anything, I continued my prodding around and then discovered that one of the two front brake caliper bolts was missing. The other bolt had loosened nearly all the way out and the mysterious “clunk” that I had heard was the front reflector falling down and coming to rest against the front fork. Nearly two thousand miles have passed since I last pulled the front wheel for a tire change. I’m certain that I used the correct torque settings and double checked these bolts for tightness when re-installing the wheel. I guess one can never be too careful though and I’m spending the evening checking as many of the critical bolts as I can find. The image in my head of myself plowing into the rear of a stopped big-rig is sickening. Now that I think of it, maybe this explains why my wife was nosing around in my toolbox the other day…Hmmm.

caliperphoto.jpg

Jeff - Glad nothing serious happened and you made it home.

Not good at all. If you took the front wheel off to replace tire or maintenance, you either forgot to torque, or have a bad torque wrench. Did the dealer do this? I agree, blue Loctite is always your friend. What I find real interesting is both the bolts were loose on the same side.

I would now suspect ALL your front end bolts to do with tire removal (front axle, pinch bolts, all caliper bolts, and make sure the little cotter pins for the brake pads are in) and retorque everything with Loctite.

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>...discovered that one of the two front brake caliper bolts was missing. The other bolt had loosened nearly all the way out Nearly two thousand miles have passed since I last pulled the front wheel for a tire change. I’m certain that I used the correct torque settings and double checked these bolts for tightness when re-installing the wheel.

...I’m spending the evening checking as many of the critical bolts as I can find.
Good plan.

Yamaha tends to use many stainless steel fasteners on the FJR. And, altho they're pretty, they may not be the best choice? Due to the 'galling' effect stainless fasteners have on other metals, they're often cut with a looser tolerance/fit.

Knowing this (now) -- you can be pro-active: periodic checking (hands-on), tight-er (some), anaerobic thread locker, etc.

MamaYama's FSM not only outlines the tightening torque values of fasteners, but designates where (and where not) to use anaerobic thread locker.

Well, I had what I would consider a close call today. ...one of the two front brake caliper bolts was missing. The other bolt had loosened nearly all the way out
Your story reminds me of (a little dark-humor) one I heard a long time ago:

A guy had his new bike's front brake fail in traffic and he narrowly/miraculously saved the situation. He immediately got it back to the dealer and angrily related what just happened.

To which the dealer replied, "I never heard of that happening before."

The rider said, "That's because they're all dead...!" :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird.

From the FSM:

Front brake caliper bolt M10 Qty 4 40 Nm (29 ft·lb).

Note that it does not have the little LT symbol in the remarks column to specify to use loctite for these bolts. Be aware that putting loctite on a bolt will lubricate the threads somewhat, and alter the applied torque a little from the dry torque spec in the manual. In this case, at such a low torque, it's probably not enough difference to worry about and the thread locking would be welcome.

It soundsto me like you are one of the graduate students of the bastard son Skooter G school of brake maintenance. Seriously, I am glad that you found the trouble without incident.

The exact same thing happened to me. Also on the opposite side a fender screw was missing. I replaced, tightened and check the bike over much more carefully now.

So that is what those reflectors are for!

They let you know when your caliper is falling off.

Pretty handy!