Loving This Feejer!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exskibum

~<>~<>~<>~<>~
Reaction score
:D

A friend has a new BMW K1200S, and we both decided last week to get outta Tahoe for the 4th (it's hellishly crowded) and took off north on 89 toward Shasta Saturday morning. Tahoe's west shore at 7:00 am -- Truckee -- Quincy -- Chester -- Lassen Nat'l Park -- Mount Shasta -- Yreka, where we spent the night, and I was entertained by 3 Hardley assclowns with straight pipes in the motel parking lot. :haha: Sunday morning it was Hwy 96 to Willow Creek to Arcata to Fortuna, where we spent Sunday night across the parking lot from the Eel River Brewing Co. We did an interesting side trip loop off 96 into Bigfoot territory on Saturday that threatened to turn into a motocross, but only covered the bikes in dust. And Monday was east on Hwy 36 through Red Bluff to Chester and back down 89 to Truckee, then over 267 to Kings Beach up to Spooner Summit where we split up. I had to go to Carson City, Gardnerville and then back up 88 to 89 and north over Luther pass to So. Lake Tahoe before I could go home. About 1060 miles on my odometer total.

It may be just the rider, but I could leave the BMW in the twisties with my stock FJR (with loaded bags) almost any time I wanted. And when we're both passing something slow (like a Hardley), get that BMW outta my way!!! When I'm in that sweet pulling spot on the powerband around 100 mph and still have a whole handful of pulling power left, I felt like I'd run over the Beemer several times if I hadn't backed off. I don't know what he was doing with his throttle hand, but I like to get around things quickly. I kinda think that I could make that Beemer (with only a canvas bag tied on the pillion) give my FJR a lot more competition, but what's sure is that it won't run away and hide from the FJR. (I know I can't ride the FJR as fast as I can the XX, and I do think the XX might run away from the FJR with the same rider in certain conditions.) Still, that BMW is one fine and pretty bike -- lots of really nice touches, but you sure pay for them. This one is the Blue and white custom paint (extra chg., of course), so it was getting plenty of compliments when we were stopped, about the same as my UJM. ;)

Seems that we were more or less on the same route (or a big part of it) that Pashnit Tours was taking over the weekend. Tim came racing by us twice on his Busa on 96 to take shots of us going by on a couple sweepers. Gotta hand it to that guy for being quick with the bike and camera to be set up like that so quickly. He has it down.

Special thanks to Highlander for suggesting 96. As a result of your high recommendation, I insisted that be a part of our route, and we were both awed by it -- what a GAS!!! Miles and miles and miles of incredible sweepers and gorgeous scenery. I've gotta do that again.

I'd highly recommend the Super 8 Motels in Yreka and Fortuna for good clean rooms, continental breakfasts, reasonable prices and &lt;100 yard walks to good food and beer. And the one in Yreka has that swimming pool, too!!!

The conclusion of this weekend is that I'm more in love with the Feejer than ever -- absolutely the best of both worlds. It truly is a touring bike and a sport bike all in one. I couldn't be happier!! Well, except that the two essential farkles will be a throttle lock ASAP and a custom seat. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

:clap: :assasin: :clap:

edit: Hmmmm, maybe I shoulda posted this in the Calif. section of ride reports?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was entertained by 3 Hardley assclowns with straight pipes in the motel parking lot.  :haha:
About 11 pm Saturday night, just before retiring, I was out in the very large parking lot of the motel where I could get good reception, on my cell phone talking to my GF (her mother is in the hospital and she's there), when three extremely loud Hardley assclowns pull in, 2 of the three have their beanie helmets off and strapped to the luggage. I can't hear and say to GF: "just a minute, wait 'til these assholes park the damn things". She can hear the roar and asks: "Harleys?" "Of course."

This circus takes forever to get the things into a couple parking spaces, which apparently requires repeated engine revving. Suddenly, as I wait in disgust, the last one to get his hog in position to pull into a parking space drops his bike -- full saddle bags and top case, loaded, and the thing goes over on its right side on a slight incline, so it's less than parallel with the horizon as it lays on the pavement . . . and he's tangled up with it.

Better . . . it's immediately obvious that Bozo the Assclown can't get it up!! As I try to stifle my laughter, the other two ass clowns scurry to help him. They're all on the downhill side of the bike, working hard as they get Bozo's loud piece of shit back on the rubber, and here my camera is inside the room in my tank bag!!! So, Saturday night after an enjoyable South Lake Tahoe to Shasta to Yreka ride:

half of room with tax: approx $35

dinner, drinks and tip: approx $35

assclown entertainment: priceless

My riding partner was in the room, and when I went in, he was bitching about more loud Harley riders pulling in. All I could say was "you just had to see it!" and described their regal entrance.

This circus takes forever to get the things into a couple parking spaces, which apparently requires repeated engine revving.
:haha: Isn't that the truth... I don't care what people ride, but reving loud pipes just to get attention pisses me off.

It may be just the rider, but I could leave the BMW in the twisties with my stock FJR (with loaded bags) almost any time I wanted.
The rider or the ride? I rode the K1200S and it is extremely fast and "should" be able to outperform the FJR. However, I think very few riders could make it outperform the FJR and here is why. The K1200S is not a smooth bike in many aspects of performance. The delivery of power is jerky and the dive into a turn feels awkward because the new suspension up front has to overcome the K's reluctance to turn. Therefore, the smoothness of the feel while getting into the turn is more of a "gee I hope this thing reacts to my commands" feeling.

So what good is a bike that only experienced riders, with some decent amount of time on the bike are capable of riding it to its full potential? To me this speaks of ergonomics well past the level of seating position. This speaks of Engineering missing the mark of what the human rider feels comfortable experiencing. Therefore, I have to say the Yamaha Engineers make a better bike for the human being and the BMW Engineers make a better bike for their computer algorythms. Which one do you want to ride?

BMW misses the mark for the human rider in my book, from their low speed jerkiness of throttle with the R1200 to their heavy steering on the K's to their over compensated corrections for steering on the new K1200S suspension.

I really like BMW's...I have a 1977 R100RS that was built for a human, not a computer. The FJR is the best bike I've ridden for the human rider out of the group of newer bikes. Congrats to Yamaha engineering! They achieved true ergonomics across the board and well beyond their competition. For too long BMW has strayed from their initial position of leadership in terms of ergonimics. They didn't improve upon their knowledge level in this area and IMO have been blown away by the competition because they failed to go deeper into the question of what PERFORMANCE characteristics make the rider comfortable enough to make the bike perform.

When your friend gets used to the bike and how to ride it, he should be able to keep up with you and out of your way...unless he is just mellow. There are plenty of people that have a problem twisting the right hand when they're already doing 100. Perhaps he is more of a PACE rider?

I rode the K1200S and it is extremely fast and "should" be able to outperform the FJR. However, I think very few riders could make it outperform the FJR and here is why. The K1200S is not a smooth bike in many aspects of performance. The delivery of power is jerky and the dive into a turn feels awkward because the new suspension up front has to overcome the K's reluctance to turn. Therefore, the smoothness of the feel while getting into the turn is more of a "gee I hope this thing reacts to my commands" feeling.
Not having ridden it, and like you, figuring that the K1200S SHOULD have been able to run away from the FJR, I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. I kept expecting the thing to show signs that it could out-accelerate and out-carve my carbureted Blackbird, let alone the Feejer, but I never saw any sign of that.

I'm the more experienced of the two of us, with considerably more time on a sport bike, but you may well have explained a big part of it. He's pretty smooth in the corners but I saw nothing approaching peg dragging, and he's been a BMW only rider until now, so the sport bike performance of the new S may be something he's not yet used to.

As to the acceleration on passing, I don't know what to think for a couple reasons. First, he'd pass on double yellows in situations where I wouldn't, so he was easily as aggressive or more than I there. Second, he was inexplicably putting down my Yamaha UJM all weekend when given an opportunity (e.g., whenever a woman expressed an interest in the bikes) . . . and my regular retort was "yeah, but we haven't yet proven that your Beemer can keep up with it." Given the tenor, I would have expected to see at least one instance in a thousand miles where he got on it. So, I just don't know -- maybe you're also right about being uncomfortable with higher speeds now that he has a bike that will do them. I do know that I couldn't be more pleased with the FJR being all I had hoped it would be now that I've got 3000+ miles on it.

I read the mags' reviews of the K1200S when it appeared, so I appreciate your first hand impressions on the Beemer's handling. I doubt my friend could have reached the conclusions you did, based upon his relative lack of experience with other sport bikes. I KNOW I won't be telling him what you've described! OTOH, when you look at what that bike has on it up close** for a while, it appears to drip with nice engineering and accoutrements that would make much of the normal farkling unnecessary. Good thing, too, as I understand there isn't a lot of aftermarket stuff available for them.

**e.g., the one sided shaft swingarm and rear wheel mount looks simple and relatively light while permitting easy rear tire changes on the road (of course, the center stand is a special order extra); the brake lines appear to be braided stainless with some kind of clear coating; the mirrors are killer in every way; and the easy access steel tire valves in the spoke of the cast wheels are a really nice touch.

Well, not very nice of ya to get down on a brother rider coming to the hotel late after a Promise Keepers rally, where the spirit of the occasion was still ringin' in his bones to the point where he just had to start dancing again, unfortunately with the Hardly still under him. I mean, where else could he have been coming from at 11pm on a Saturday eve? :alcoholic:

I rode the K1200S and it is extremely fast and "should" be able to outperform the FJR. However, I think very few riders could make it outperform the FJR and here is why. The K1200S is not a smooth bike in many aspects of performance. The delivery of power is jerky and the dive into a turn feels awkward because the new suspension up front has to overcome the K's reluctance to turn. Therefore, the smoothness of the feel while getting into the turn is more of a "gee I hope this thing reacts to my commands" feeling.
and he's been a BMW only rider until now, so the sport bike performance of the new S may be something he's not yet used to.
I have a 1977 BMW that will do 130 easy...getting it past 100 is just a matter of sometimes not liking the way traffic shapes up around me and I want to escpape. While BMW's have never been known for blistering acceleration, they have always had the ability to go fast. Handling has always been something they say they are good at too and frankly, I think they are with the R1200RT...nice bike.

I get a fair amount of attention with my 'classic' 1977 BMW. Those that know what it is seem to really enjoy seeing it. I'll gladly give up attention for comfortable and capable riding on my new FJR!

Excellent trip report Rich! Free entertainment too ! That's almost the same route we took last year on the 4th.. Deja Vu. Not a lot of traffic that far north in Cali.. excellent roads! I've a feeling you'll be posting about 1000 mile days next!! :D

I have a 1977 BMW that will do 130 easy...getting it past 100 is just a matter of sometimes not liking the way traffic shapes up around me and I want to escpape.  While BMW's have never been known for blistering acceleration, they have always had the ability to go fast. Handling has always been something they say they are good at too and frankly, I think they are with the R1200RT...nice bike. 
Whoa!!! I'm not dissing BMWs -- his, yours or anyone else's. Of course they could always do 110+ mph, as could just about any 750cc+ bike of the last 35 years or so. (Jeeze, I was clocked by a friend at 120 indicated on his 427 Chevelle speedometer on my 650 BSA one really stupid night 34 summers ago, and my '75 Z1 with a header would get over 135 indicated pretty quickly for those days -- back when you had to watch the rpms a 4 to 1 would permit or you'd crash a valve or four.) My impressions of Beemers have always been that they're generally well engineered and built, and until recently (with the FJR's introduction) were the touring bike I lusted after. I've ridden a couple BMW boxers, and they've always been nice bikes, but by Japanese or Italian standards, I just wouldn't call them sport bikes until very recent incarnations. Now, however, I'd sure call the K1000S a pretty studly and drool inducing sport bike.

I thought it was clear that I was talking about acceleration, because in a passing maneuver it's acceleration (and not speed) that counts, that gives me that rush, and that makes me marvel at modern in-line fours. As you note, it's no secret that with the shaft driven boxer, Beemers have been getting spanked in that department pretty solidly by Japanese in-line fours since the early 70s. I started with the premise (and still hold it) that the K1200S ought to out-accelerate the Feejer, probably can, and that I just didn't see it due to timid throttle hand or rev range. I was admiring the thing all weekend, while the slights my less well bred UJM got slid off my back. As to handling, I was writing it off to riders until you offered a plausible explanation I can happily accept instead of claiming superiority in the saddle. My riding buddy of this last weekend is not well known to me, and this was the first time we rode together. (He also has a beautiful and immaculate '74 R90 and a '98 BMW tourer I haven't seen.)

All I've said is that this weekend, I didn't see the performance I expected; I sure didn't say that a $20,000 K1200S wasn't the equal of the Yamaha. BTW, on the other (EZ) board, Stefano (Teerex) had posted the first and only on road riding comparison of the Feejer and K1200S I've ever read, based upon his having ridden with one in Europe. What he described was much more what I was expecting to see last weekend. So, your explanation made all the more sense to me. I love high performance sport motorcycles, and I just wanted to see what that still relatively rare specimen would do, I guess . . . and to see how far off the Feejer was from that state of the art BMW's performance. Sorry I gave you a different impression.

So, are you trying to bust me for rider arrogance (first post), or for ignorance of what a BMW will do? (second post) :p ;)

P.S., Love the avatar -- I've got a soft spot for cats.

That's almost the same route we took last year on the 4th.. Deja Vu. Not a lot of traffic that far north in Cali.. excellent roads! I've a feeling you'll be posting about 1000 mile days next!! :D
You did it on the fourth too?!? You're absolutlely right about 96 being a GREAT road, and about the lack of cars clogging it. Many thanks for that tip.

As to 1000 mile days, the FJR makes me believe it could be done, but somewhere around 400 or 500 is when I start needing to get my boots off and get a beverage that would impair my riding. I'll just admire the LD accomplishments of the real hardcores.

Wish I could make it to WFO with you guys -- I have a feeling I'd see some more good stuff I don't know about. Doesn't look good right now for that week though. I may know better in a couple weeks.

Whoa!!!  I'm not dissing BMWs --
Oh...I really didn't think you were :)

I was just saying (after I dissed BMWs so much) that they have a good ability to go fast well. I was more adding a nice thought about beemers after a long rant of why I thought they are missing the mark with the Engineering of later years.

So it certainly wasn't you I had an issue with, I was providing a counterpoint of my own arguments. I honestly think that BMW should be embarrassed about how well the much less expensive FJR beats out their best bikes. Yep...even the R1200RT. After riding both, nobody could make me think the extra cash is justifiable.

Cats...I picked that one because it looks very much like one of my cats. When I've been here longer I'll get something more personalized up there...maybe a pic of my cats and dog and frog...who knows...maybe of my Alembic Tribute guitar....or maybe this blue bike I just bought :)

Andrew

And here I thought Alembic just made basses! I need to unload some stuff I haven't taken out of the cases in a while to pay for farkles on two bikes. I also need to take a moment to figure out how to post an avatar, but it never seems I feel like doing that sort of thing, . . . so it doesn't get done.

Welcome to the Board, Andrew.

And here I thought Alembic just made basses! I need to unload some stuff I haven't taken out of the cases in a while to pay for farkles on two bikes. I also need to take a moment to figure out how to post an avatar, but it never seems I feel like doing that sort of thing, . . . so it doesn't get done.
Welcome to the Board, Andrew.
Did you check out the Alembic site?

www.alembic.com

Their guitars are quiet simply the best toned guitars I've ever heard by a far and wide margin.

Did you check out the Alembic site?
www.alembic.com

Their guitars are quiet simply the best toned guitars I've ever heard by a far and wide margin.
So, you're one of those damned facilitators, huh?

Sweet guitars, but at the price of that Tribute, your facilitating is for naught. BTW, didn't I mention I had to unload some stuff? Last thing I need is to be led down the path of temptation again.