Lowrance I-Way 500C GPS???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leebunyard

Reaction score
Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) which, IMHO is the most credible and the only motorcycle magazine I subscribe to anymore, has a short product review in the November, 2005 issue on the Lowrence I-Way 500C GPS system. The review gave it a review grade of "A" for its performance on a test mc ride.

I've read some of the previous I-Way reviews that are very negative about the unit but note that most of these reviews were written prior to the major product update that was done in August, 2005. Evidently that update eliminated most if not all of the problems. The unit also comes with a RAM mount unit included and bases to faciliate its installation on a mc or in a car, plus includes the cable to wire it into the bike. Plus the 20 Gig Hard-drive comes pre-loaded with detailed maps for the ENTIRE USA. And it's encased in a shock-proof rubber shell and is waterproof. It's large and has a touch screen that can be used even wearing heavy winter riding gloves.

On the surface, this sounds like an excellent unit for a mc.

Anyone have any comments on the newer versions (i.e., since August, 2005) update of this GPS??

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Where ya been Lee? This unit has been getting lots of good press. Yes, before the update, there were some problems, but that is old news now.

My friend got one about a month ago for his Bimmer LT. It works great, and is a pretty nifty unit. I like it so much I am seriously considering getting one. Only two drawbacks that I can see - It has a hard drive instead of flash memory, which I don't think will be a problem, and it's BIG, which is also one of its advantages.

Great unit that you can get for around $600.

And now, Lowrance is about to introduce the iWay 350C, that you should be able to get for around $400. A bit smaller, but with lots of great features also, though not as much memory.

Lowrance iWay 350C

Looks interesting but I didn't see if it had had an audio out/headphone jack. Hope it doesn't rely on an FM radio as it's sole means for audio, otherwise it might be one to consider. I really like the 500c but it's right on the edge of being too big. I checked the Lowrance site and couldn't find anymore info. Probably learn more in the next few weeks.

Go to SEMA in Vegas on Nov 2 to Nov 5 and get your hands on one of these.

Buy what you think is right for you, but there is a good reason why some nav system is out selling others.

But you guys know better and I leave it in your good hands to get the best GPS unit for youselves. ;)

After consideration of all the variables, features and what my needs are, I've decided I'm going to go with the Garmin Quest II GPS. I need a GPS that can be used for my motorcycles, cars/truck and for occasional hiking and back country off road motorcycle riding. I'd estimate my usage at around 60% motorcycle, 30% car/truck and 10% hiking/back country.

04FJR4ME's comment about potential HDD failure from the mc vibration concerns me, as does the rather large size of the Lowrance I-Way 500C unit. I took a map/compass and GPS class at REI last Saturday and the instructor told me that there is currently no single unit that would FULLY meet my needs but the Quest or Quest II probably comes the closest.

Thanks for the input.

I with you there Mr. leebunyard.... as its close to the end of the season here...

Im just gunna wait for the next years products and see what comes avail...

Im lookin forward to see when these company's take notice of us cycle-ists... and the vibration situation we have... with prices of memory these days.. I honestly don't think it would be all that hard to come up with a product to fill everyone's needs...

4 gb of flash memory would be sufficient to make this happen... 2 gig's for mapping and OS.... and another 2 for mp3's or incorporate SAT. radio... (not my choice) but offer both... running on 12v. and battery.... which would be easier, not having to run a HD....

Come on guys... make it happen...

I really like the Lowrance unit, but I'm just not an MP3 guy as I've been spoiled by XM radio. I'm hopin' that in the near future more manufacturers will hop on the satellite radio wagon and offer "low cost" units that are satellite radio "ready". I'd love a Garmin GPS 376 on my stemstand, but it's way to rich ($1000.00) for my blood. My RoadyII and Streetpilot III is gettin' the job done for now............

>I really like the Lowrance unit, but I'm just not an MP3 guy . . . . .

I'm not an MP3 guy either, which is another reason I've decided against the Lowrance GPS unit. I have a 40 Gig iPod that I carry hooked to my belt and it plugs into my Collett Platinum 900 helmet communicator system and works just fine.

> as its close to the end of the season here...

>I'm just gunna wait for the next years products and see what comes avail...

I'm tempted to wait also and see if any new GPS units coming out next year will more fully meet my needs but that's the whole problem with all types of technology--there's always something new coming out that is a little bit better than what you just bought and there's no end to that kind of thing. Since I live where I can pretty much ride year round, and since winter time is a good time to spend some free time familiarizing myself with a new GPS (our REI GPS class instructor last weekend said to expect to spend at least 4-6 hours reading the manual and playing around with any new GPS unit to become familiar with its features and usage), I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a Quest II before Christmas so I can begin playing with it. I've also read that there are likely to be significant price cuts in most GPS units for pre-Christmas sales.

Good thoughts there Lee. I'm kinda waiting for the first batch of remanufactured Garmin 276's to become available. With the exception of the snail-like course re-calculations on my Streetpilot III, the unit works great and best of all.........I already own it!