Melting plastic on instrument cluster

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04Smitty

Reaction score
I've just noticed that the plastic housing around the tachometer is becoming deformed. It starts at the top of the instrument cluster, and runs down the left side of the tach. All of the display lights are working.

Any idea what is generating that kind of heat underneath the tach? Are the display lights serviceable? I'm a new owner, so have not attempted any self-repair on this bike yet.

I've just noticed that the plastic housing around the tachometer is becoming deformed. It starts at the top of the instrument cluster, and runs down the left side of the tach. All of the display lights are working.
Any idea what is generating that kind of heat underneath the tach? Are the display lights serviceable? I'm a new owner, so have not attempted any self-repair on this bike yet.
Giant, electrically controlled magnifying glass attached to the front of the bike, just above the instrument cluster. Good at warping instrument clusters and fending off rain and bugs.

You're not the first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Smitty and welcome to the forum...

It's just as Howie said. This happened to me on my '05 a few years ago. The opinion of the yamaha factory rep was that it was likely caused by an aftermarket windshield. When the sun is at just the right angle, some windshields can focus the sun light just like a magnifying lens, softening and even melting the black plastic instrument panel.

Your only repair option is to install a replacement panel (it's fortunately separate from the instrument cluster). I'm careful now to cover up the dash area with a jacket or cover the bike with a Nelson Rigg UV-2000 (size XL) motorcycle half cover.

Then again, some might say it adds "character" to the bike... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the quick feedback. i'm relieved its not an electrical issue. hadn't really considered the windshield as the culprit, but makes sense :)

Time for a cover!

The comments are correct. I've got the melted spot. I, too, thought it must have been heat from underneath. I run the bigger touring windshield from Yamaha. I chalk it up as a "character blemish." There are no associated malfunctions.

thanks for the quick feedback. i'm relieved its not an electrical issue. hadn't really considered the windshield as the culprit, but makes sense :)
Time for a cover!
Cover schmover.

Chicks dig scars.

:dribble: :blink:

And welcome to the forum.

:rolleyes:

My '05 has those same 'character' marks on the instrument panel plastic....The Caroline sun gets hot when magnified by the wind screen.

I've been very happy with dark Rifle shield. Still looks good 3 years and 70+k later, no melting and I live in hot country.

Catching up on some reading, my 04 never had an issue sitting every day in the sun outside of work (or at least as many sunny days as Pittsburgh affords). Until I disabled the windshield retraction. Third year into ownership I disabled more or less just to do it, it never bothered me. The very first time I left it up I got a scar along the speedo!

Figured it strange but didn't put it together. The very next day the same thing!

Ok I'm a little thick headed but I put it together. No more leaving it up. That it until the day I figured I'd see if it happened again. Damn same thing!

I did conclude that it was probably the angle of the sun in the late Summer, early Fall since those were the days I left it up.

And of course in the end it may have had nothing to do with the windshield being left up.

BUT, the 08 has not had the windshield retraction disabled and it will not.

terrysig

Had it happen and just replaced the cover around the instruments. I have my shield disabled and the large Yamaha screen and put it down when out in the sun or as already stated, cover it up with my jacket.

The opinion of the yamaha factory rep was that it was likely caused by an aftermarket windshield. When the sun is at just the right angle, some windshields can focus the sun light just like a magnifying lens, softening and even melting the black plastic instrument panel.
Just for the record, I've had this happen with my stock '03 and the Yamaha accessory shields. In both instances, I had the auto-retract disabled, but I've started parking my bike with the nose facing not-southerly, and no more problems.

I don't know if it's possible for this problem to occur with the shield in the down position. Can anyone confirm it happening with auto-retract still functioning?

The opinion of the yamaha factory rep was that it was likely caused by an aftermarket windshield. When the sun is at just the right angle, some windshields can focus the sun light just like a magnifying lens, softening and even melting the black plastic instrument panel.
Just for the record, I've had this happen with my stock '03 and the Yamaha accessory shields. In both instances, I had the auto-retract disabled, but I've started parking my bike with the nose facing not-southerly, and no more problems.

I don't know if it's possible for this problem to occur with the shield in the down position. Can anyone confirm it happening with auto-retract still functioning?
Yep. I'd never disabled my auto windshield retract, but at the time I had a Cee Bailey +4 with flip. And it was never clear whether the magnification effect was due to the convex or concave side of the windshield...