Minnesota Should be Proud

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to pee on everyone's thumbs ups here, but I have been riding the Victory brand for the 10 years it has been in existence, and you'll never find one in my garage. The best man in my wedding has been working at Polaris for about 15 years, and when I go back home to 'sota every summer, I ride something out of the company pool. They have improved over the years, but IMO, still share a common thread with the "other" American cruiser brand, namely the fact that they are overpriced. Polaris got into the motorcycle biz after they determined that stealing just 5% of the Harley market would be profitable. They positioned them as an alternative to Harleys, and priced them accordingly. I bought a Honda VTX1300S the first year they came out, and my buddy told me that the discussion at Polaris at that time was one of amazement, over how Honda could deliver that much bike for $8999. I lived in 'sota at the time, and switching from the VTX to the Victory when we were out was something I only did once.

My last trip home was last summer, and I rode a Vision on a trip through northern 'sconnie and the UP. Here is a pic from a stop in Michigan.

2710634284_681a49dbc7.jpg

As much as I appreciate my friend's hospitality, this year's ride will be on my Feejer. The Vision is a monstrosity that is stable at speed, but not much fun getting there. Clunky transmission, zero adjustment in riding position, Bozo the Clown styling, (look at the front of one)..... And better than a GW? Please.... Ride both, then tell me which you would rather be on for any distance. I'm all for American companies, but to put the Victory in the same bang for the buck group as metrics is a bit insane.

By the way, it's a Minnesota company, headquartered in Medina, with additional facilites in that state in Roseau and Wyoming. They have Cheeseheads and 'wegians participating in the manufacturing of the bikes, but that's just spreading the work out a bit.

The Vision is a masterpiece of ugliness. Not the bike I'd buy from them, but the some of the others are nice. A neighbor of mine used to work for them as an engineer, and was always praising them, and have seen many good things in mags about them. They had some issues the first several years, but from all accounts I've seen the last few year's models have been much better. How good was the Hyundai brand the first few years they were in the USA? They went from a joke to being a serious factor in the market.

Overpriced, hell yes, but I'd buy a Victory over a Hardley, If that was what I was In the market for.

The Vision, nor any of their other bikes are comparable with the FJR, It's a different class. The Vision although "aggressively" styled is still just a cruiser. Heavy, bulky, not very nimble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to pee on everyone's thumbs ups here, but I have been riding the Victory brand for the 10 years it has been in existence, and you'll never find one in my garage.
But, (wiping urine from my thumbs) the note was just giving them a bit of credit for a few good points,

and some differences in their approach and styling. They must have a few folks in design with open minds.

Thank you for that appraisal though, jmd. There are about 50 100 other bikes I'd buy first, but they do

deserve mention in the cruiser chat.

(I've got to admit that I felt a bit silly sitting on a Vision at a recent bike show out here. They are just

a bit TOO much! The rep was going on about how light and good-handling it was,

probably mistaking me for an HD boy. I hate that. :lol: )

You know who'd look right at home on a Vision?

MadMike.

He could pull it off methinks.

Hate to pee on everyone's thumbs ups here, but I have been riding the Victory brand for the 10 years it has been in existence, and you'll never find one in my garage.
But, (wiping urine from my thumbs) the note was just giving them a bit of credit for a few good points,

and some differences in their approach and styling. They must have a few folks in design with open minds.

Thank you for that appraisal though, jmd. There are about 50 100 other bikes I'd buy first, but they do

deserve mention in the cruiser chat.

(I've got to admit that I felt a bit silly sitting on a Vision at a recent bike show out here. They are just

a bit TOO much! The rep was going on about how light and good-handling it was,

probably mistaking me for an HD boy. I hate that. :lol: )

You know who'd look right at home on a Vision?

MadMike.

He could pull it off methinks.
Nice post.

They must have a few folks in design with open minds.
I don't know? -- Seems the cruiser oriented (only) manufacturers have pretty restrictive blinders? Certainly they seem to be stuck on (about) 2 liter engines making (about/less than) 50 hp/liter? Weight is a non-issue..! And, extremely low seat height.... :rolleyes:

I rode an early Victory (the one with the 'garden tractor' transmission) and improvement on that was the only way they could go. I did like the fact that the suspension wasn't soft and wallowy (the owner thought it was too stiff -- wanted it cushy-er....).

I once passed a Victory Vision (last year's 'Anniversary Model') on a mountain pass and thought to myself that it looked like a carnival ride.... :rolleyes:

The carnival ride aspect stems from the fact the front end closely resembles Bozo The Clown. Seriously. Stare at it long enough, (3-5 seconds), and you'll flash back to the front door of the fun house at the county fair.

As far as being on the edge of styling, they hired that, when they brought on the Ness brothers awhile back. The Vision was a crapshoot, and I think the only reason you still see them in the model lineup is the rather large amount of cash they invested in that roll of the dice.

Gotta run, my thumbs need a good scrubbing.

To me, that's one ugly bike, destined to be an evolutionary dead end, similar to Neanderthals, and about as good looking. It's one thing to be on the leading edge of styling, but it better not be the "Edsel Edge."

Here is a recent Victory Commercial I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EvN6odlzU

The Vision is definitely a love it or hate it type of motorcycle.

Though,

The Cross Roads and Cross Country are far from an Edsel. I have always been

the type of rider that can appreciate different styles of motorcycles.

Victory obviously has HD in their sights with these two rides!

WW

Yeah, I thought "Bozo" the first time I saw one, before I ever heard it mentioned elsewhere. :p

And anyone who ever seriously considers getting the "skulls" paint theme... :rolleyes: All I can say is: you've got issues. :unsure:

Believe it or not, I'm riding another Vision this week! My wonderful new Kendon trailer is back in my garage in Austin, with the Feejer. Seems that the quality of my brand new Kendon SUCKS AZZ!!!! Seems like you should be able to get a trailer that doesn't shake when you go over 60, dontcha think? Had to go to Plan B, which was American Airlines to Minneapolis, and the Vision. Could be worse.

Hell, the main problem with the Vision isnt the styling IMO, its the lack of storage space. If you compare the usable room in the bags to any of the other full on tour bikes, the Victory sucks. What good is a "Luxobarge" without ample storage?

You guys aren't using the full name. It's the "Victory Vision Test." If you buy one, you fail.

I'm sure Victory makes better bikes than H-D (the term "damning with faint praise" comes to mind), but I'd have to be dead set on buying 'Mericun to get one over a hozukahasaki. And for even less money than buying a Japanese cruiser, you could get a real motorcycle! :)

Has to be one of the uglyiest looking motorcycles I have ever seen in my life. I rode a friends brand new one the other day and it is a gutless wonder. I guess to be fair, the FJR makes almost every Cruiser bike seem underpowered.

Definately, not a bike I would even remotely consider buying.

Victory Story:

Guy at work spent 16 large on a Victory hammer. We decided to go riding and we live on opposite sides of town so we met at a gas station in the middle.

Pete told me he was concerned that I'd be able to keep up when I rode up on an '81 KZ1300 (in line 6 cyl for you youngsters out there)

anyway we rode around for a while and I seemed to keep up ok. right before we split up for the day we ran thru the gears up to about 110 mph. He got me by about 1/2 bike length ...... but I did have my wife on the back.

the next day I made him a list: "Old jap bikes you really don't want to race." it ran to two pages.

Actually I was impressed. The Victory was damn fast for a big V-twin compared to what Harley has been making all these years. Good looking bike as well although I could never accept the handling compromises associated with the "cool looking" massive wide rear tire.

If I was waaaaay more concerned with looks than performance I'd consider a Victory.

One more note:

talked to a guy with a Victory Vision recently. He liked it much better than his previously owned Harley.

Only negative he mentioned was people telling him Batman was on the phone and wanted his bike back ....

Well, back in Texas, after 1400 miles on the Vision, to go with the 1500 last year. Thoughts:

- This year's model seemed much more put together than last, although there have been no major changes. Just felt less like a first year bike, I guess. I've ridden Victorys since they started, and they continue to evolve.

- The upper Midwest, my old stomping grounds, is absolutely gorgeous this time of the year.

- And full of some of the nicest damn people on the planet.

- A day riding, no matter what you are riding, is better than one not.