MISSFIRE ON 06A NOW A MAJOR PROBLEM CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SATISFACTORY CONCLUSION

After much to-ing and fro-ing, my dealer Sale Yamaha in Manchester UK gave me a full refund last year. This included the bike that I traded in against the FJR and the cash difference in full. I was grateful but very dissapointed that it had come to that as the bike was fantastic apart from the fault.

Because of the circumstances, my relationship with Sale Yamaha was not the best at the point of parting.

I sold the Honda which I had taken back in November and decided to wait for better weather before going out to find a new bike. I didnt get a lot of interest in the Honda and lost on the thing having only bought it in spring 06.

I had no idea what I was going to look for. After looking at a couple of second hand 05 FJR's and considering a couple of other makes, I remembered that at the time I bought the 06, there was still an 05 in the showroom. I rang them and it was still there. They agreed to do business with me again and I collect my brand new 05 FJR on March 1st. to coincide with the new 07 registration plates.

Needles to say I am happy with the outcome. I am 12 months further on and still have a brand new FJR for a lot less than I paid for the original 06.

There is no doubt that there is a problem with the 06, I plan on keeping the new one a few years and hope that the problem has been sorted by the time I come to trade in for another new one. Needles to say I would go straight back to Sale Yamaha who, although initially resistant, have acted responsibly, and as you would expect and hope for.

https://www.saleyamaha.co.uk/

To be honest I think they were just as happy as me to do the deal and to see the back of the 05 which had been on the shop floor for 18 months. It's probably the last brand new 05 to be sold anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is good news that you were able to come to a satisfactory conclusion to this problem. You'll be very happy with your new '05.

However, it would be nice to know what was causing the problem in the first place. Please let us know if you ever find out.

I'm glad to hear that you made the dealer stand up and be accountable for their product. I hope you enjoy your '05.

Ripp

I'm glad to hear that you made the dealer stand up and be accountable for their product. I hope you enjoy your '05.
Ripp
It is not the dealers who should be held accountable! Yamaha should be held accountable!

BE AWARE MS! If your 05 starts ticking they will not put the "new" designed valve guides you had in your 06, into your 05!

The attitude you and others have had on this FI Mapping problem for the 06 -07 is the very attitude that should have been expressed a long time ago for the "Ticker" issue on all pre-06 models! Because it wasn't, this issue has not been solved with any credible explanation on why the "new" guides were developed at all!

As the owner of an 05 that had this problem, I would like to know why the "new valve seals" w/ the same old designed crappy guides installed in my bike now, is just as good as the 06-07 "new designed guides". Better yet, if Yamaha thought the valve guide wear issue was totally illiminated by the new seals, why did they spend their engineering and manufacturing resources ($$$) on a new guide that was so dramaticly changed, it required different machining of the head?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the updating and improving of products. But, the way this has worked out, Yamaha owes us 05 and earlier owners an explanation or back salary since we were obviously test riders for their R&D program!

You 06 and 07 owners, don't make the mistake we did. HOLD YAMAHA'S FEET TO THE FIRE!!!

Roadhound

I don't know if your problem has been resolved yet. Here are a few things you might try to isolate the problem.

raise the tank and take a NON-flammable spray devise and start the engine. Spray around the rubber attachments between the throttle body and the head. If the idle changes you have an air leak in one of the couplers. Sometimes when the bikes are assembled the rubber gets cut or pinched and a perfect seal is no longer possible. The spray will tell you if there is a leak. Another item to check are the reed valves in the AIR system on top of the engine. Simply remove each of the hoses one at a time and plug to hole with a baggy and a rubber band. If it stops popping you found the bad reed. Did the shops bother to do a leak down test or a compression test? Another thing you can test is the fuel injectors them selves. If you can get you hands on a stethoscope or a long blue large diameter straw like they use at McDonald's , start the bike and place the scope or straw so you get an amplified sound you can hear and place the other end on the throttle body by each of the injectors. Have another person slowly increase the RPM and listen to see that all four injectors are making the same sound. There are other things you can test as well but I would try these first.

Now hows that.

Not truely a good result as Yamaha still havn't admitted to a design or production fault with the 06-07 models.

I know a fellow with an 07, he's never mention this issue and I'm sure he would if it was occuring.

In fact when I first bought my 02 it it did miss fire, fart and cough a bit but it was obviously old fuel as it had been sitting for about 14 months.

New fuel and good gut full (about 2x the prescribed) of fuel injector cleaner sorted the miss fire, fart and cough.

The replacement of the TPS (Current Yamaha recall) seems to have also resolved the low speed surge issue.

My 02 is lovely and smooth now.

Last edited by a moderator: