Missing Pannier Chrome Strip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred, it was just the sticker.......but you can make it happen by loosening the screws that hold that chrome piece on!
rolleyes.gif
There was a forum member that masked off the chrome part and sprayed it with satin black Plasti-Dip. A good winter project would be to unbolt those strips, take a heat gun and get that sticker off. Hit it with a few coats of Plasti-Dip, and Gorilla Snot the sticker back on.
That would be me. Didn't realize when I started taping up the bag to spray it on they came off with 3 bolts each. My other GenII's were stickered on. Now that I know it's so easy to take them off, and really like the black a LOT more than the cheesy chrome look, I'm going to take advantage of a rainy weekend to tape off the Yamaha logo and put on a coat of primer and flat black spray paint to make them black permanently. And if I screw them up, at least I know they're cheap enough to replace now.

FullSizeRender4.jpg

My left sticker fell off. Rather than go through the exercise more than once I ordered two stickers, peeled the remaining one off with my fingernail (says something about the OEM adhesive), and gorilla glued both new ones on. Problem solved.

Fred, it was just the sticker.......but you can make it happen by loosening the screws that hold that chrome piece on!
rolleyes.gif
There was a forum member that masked off the chrome part and sprayed it with satin black Plasti-Dip. A good winter project would be to unbolt those strips, take a heat gun and get that sticker off. Hit it with a few coats of Plasti-Dip, and Gorilla Snot the sticker back on.
That would be me. Didn't realize when I started taping up the bag to spray it on they came off with 3 bolts each. My other GenII's were stickered on. Now that I know it's so easy to take them off, and really like the black a LOT more than the cheesy chrome look, I'm going to take advantage of a rainy weekend to tape off the Yamaha logo and put on a coat of primer and flat black spray paint to make them black permanently. And if I screw them up, at least I know they're cheap enough to replace now.

FullSizeRender4.jpg
How did that Plasti-Dip hold up the short time you had it on? That piece really doesn't see any wear other than when wiping down the bags, and I kind of like the rubbery texture of it. Not to mention the ease of re-doing it if necessary!

They haven't been off the wall, weather and work schedule hasn't cooperated to take them out yet. I think it will be hold up well enough, as long as you don't start it peeling off or wipe it too hard. Easy to remove and repaint.

Any ideas if painting with a primer and spray can matte black would hold up for the long term?

I also have the triangular piece of the front fairing below the radiator painted with plasti-dip as well, and that's held up with perfect so far after a few rides. Another owner went a year with that same piece plasti-dipped as well, and it held up pretty good. I like the black look better down there and it should help with the road crud scraping up the red paint, fwiw.

63fac812-11b9-4369-b5f3-cd326dc4c1cd.jpg

Get a carbon fibre style fender extender and some 3M carbon fibre adhesive backed film for that cowl behind the front wheel and you will be riding with no worries. While you are at it cover the tank band with the same material.

They fell off my '13, went to the dealer, they ordered them, both sides warranty. They are on back order because it's happening a lot, they covered mine.