Missing Vent Panel Fix?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurt

Reaction score
Took the FJR out for a speed run on the local 85mph tollway and came back a little lighter. Anyone else lost one of these? Any way to just disable the adjustability of the piece and permanently attach it?

texas-toll-road.jpg

My right side did try to escape also. The clip stayed in and allowed it to bend over and tap my foot in the wind. (scratched a spot on the paint)

I noticed the 'inside' mounts are shorter holders than the 'outside' extended mounting points. (when you find it) You can use the 'outside ' mounts, or add a little blue dot to hold them in.

I also found 1 clip fit better than the other (different shape entirely) so I ordered a new clip and it holds better and installs smoother.

Sounds like you did not have it on the tabs correctly. The dzus (1/4 turn) faster at the bottom isn't what holds it on, it just holds it engaged with the tabs.

All in fun inter generational poke follows...

WOW, glad I have an Autobahn cammed 2002 AKA Gen-1!

On a more serious note, I would definitely go looking for it.

I've never had it off before, so I'm not sure what the attachment points look like.
Some pics that may help:

(Click on image for larger view)

Zeus fastener

Tabs and slots

Last edited by a moderator:
The panel broke off at the tab where the dzus captures the clip nut so finding it will do me no good. I still have the dzus and the clip. I'm guessing it wasn't assembled properly at setup. I think I will replace the dzus fasteners with screws and locknuts as I have no intentention of moving them.

I had the right side panel on my '07 come off. Same deal; the little plastic hinges broke off and the wind took it off, tearing it off those dzus things. I was on an empty road, so I was able to find it to kind of diagnose what happened. FWIW, that movable panel is one of the biggest piece of shit marketing gimmicks ever put on a motorcycle.

I took my bike to my dealer and they warrantied the part. I wanna say they ordered both sides because they were afraid the left one was capable of breaking too, but now I don't remember. When I got it home with the new panels, I took them off and put lithium grease on the hinges so they release from the metal clips easier. It's been a lot of miles now, and I haven't lost another one. I'm thinking mine may have gotten "popped" on there at assembly, and the hinge cracked. A few thousand miles of vibration, wind, and removal/replacement at service intervals caused the part to fail.

Take it back...It should definitely be warrantied.

I noticed mine were difficult to remove, and a royal bitch to snap back on, so I did pretty much what AJ said, and put some 3M multi-purpose lube on those absurd little plastic tabs. Stupid design.

.... Stupid design.
Which is perhaps why they were re-designed for the Gen IIIs, but apparently not well enough.

On my '14 I've used some petroleum jelly (like Vaseline) on the tabs and on the Zeus fastener. Makes correct installation easier.

The dealer reluctantly agreed to replace it under warranty "since it had not had it's 600 mile service yet". The logic was they have not had a chance to check the torque specs on the fasteners. I just kind of half nodded as I tried to recall the torque spec on a dzus fastener.

Last edited by a moderator: