Mo-Peds in NC...Changes in the offing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnspot

Who Me?
Reaction score
https://www.wral.com/news/local/wral_investigates/story/11225951/ - Drunken Mo-ped Drivers Dangerous

Pretty interesting article and report. Mo-peds, in NC, are generally thought of as primary transportation for the drunks who lost their driving privileges since no license, registration, or insurance is required to operate them, but maybe, just maybe, NC is finally starting to wake up...I hope. Around this area (Eastern NC), we have a mix of kids taking advantage of the law and the aforementioned suspended drunk drivers. Personally, I give them a wide berth, especially in town, as they sometimes do things completely unexpected. I figure if you were irresponsible enough to drive while drunk and lost your license, you need to learn how the public transportation system works, the joys of bicycling, or buy a comfortable pair of walking shoes...not hop right onto a mo-ped and carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Oregon it has to be under 50cc. A buddy of mine lost his license and rode a little 49cc scooter to work. Believe me, looking at him on that thing riding through town, he paid his dues. LOL.