Montana - The Big Sky State.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow...I am rushing over this RR, but this one deserves going back and taking a second look when I have more time.

Thanks for posting! :clapping:

Epilogue: From Big Skies to Weird Skies to Big Fires reaching for the Skies.

July 25 & 26th, 2011.

Some of you are already familiar with the 640x480 resolution of photographs that the IBA requires for it rallies. When we started our journey home from Big Sky, I had forgotten to reset my camera from that low VGA resolution. We took some beautiful roads from Big Sky to Butte. Hwy 84, Hwy 257, Hwy 359 and Hwy 2. If you ever find yourself traveling from Butte towards Yellowstone, do yourself a favor and get off the Interstate and take these Montana back highways. Picture perfect farm country with beautiful barns and granaries, scenic lakes and a great view of the mountains. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures for you so just take my word for it. :)

It wasn't until we were headed for Missoula that I realized my mistake and reset the camera resolution. Here is Brian heading to Missoula on I-90.

IMG_0638.jpg

We were going to take Lolo Pass and its 99 miles of curves towards Hells Canyon. Big smiles in anticipation for the fun that was going to come!

IMG_0640-1.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

Beautiful curves running right alongside the river..

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

The first introduction to Weird Skies!

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

Three distinct shades!

IMG_0660.jpg

Looked like a Tsunami of clouds waiting to engulf us..

IMG_0662.jpg

The rain did catch up to us by the time we reached Hells Canyon Recreation area. Intermittent showers, which actually felt good and cooled us off. It was great fun running through Hells Canyon..

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

Tempting curves as we were once again united with the Salmon River..

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

.. and it's beautifully carved canyons..

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

We stayed the night in Ontario, Oregon. We had no choice, it was getting dark and we weren't feeling like pushing through the stretch back home in the dark. The town is a dump and that's all I have to say about that..

The next morning was home stretch, we dipped down Hwy 95 through Oregon towards the Nevada border, we had left the greenery behind and were back in the desert..

IMG_0701.jpg

Yea, Oregon is SLLOOWW.. $%@#!!

IMG_0703.jpg

Are we in Nevada yet? I am bored and this retarded 55mph Oregon speed limit is killing me!!

IMG_0706.jpg

Back in Nevada! Is that a Dirt Devil? Can't be ... could it be? Naah...

IMG_0708.jpg

Heading into the fire!

IMG_0711.jpg

This was a sizeable blaze, there was scorched earth all around, the firefighters were trying real hard to keep the fire from jumping I-80. Traffic was stopped in either direction. As we sat there for a while it seemed that the fire was going to get the upper hand, the flames were leaping for the skies..

IMG_0715.jpg

One can surely quell the fires in the wild, but no one can pacify the fire in our belly!

IMG_0721.jpg

Thank you for reading and for the kind words my friends! :)

Last edited by a moderator: