Moral:Don't be casual with tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strayshot

Reaction score
So my bike just passed 5k miles on its odometer - still wearing the OEM tires. The rear was showing significant wear and I was doubtful that it would pass the inspection that it was due for. The front (for the most part) looked like it probably had several hundred miles left on it.

The (for the most part) of the front tire is the subject of this post. The bike for the past several hundred miles had developed a "shimmy" on the front end that was most pronounced during deceleration during lower speeds - but present all the time just increasing in frequency with the increase in speed.

I pretty much figured it was the front tire and kind of casually glanced at it. I noted some cupping, and despite the fact that it appeared to otherwise have a few miles left on it, I decided to replace the tires as a set.

So after replacing the tires this weekend, I took a closer look at the front and was quite shocked at what I saw:

Tire002.jpg

It wasn't just cupping, it was a strange cupping combined with a flat spot at one point on the tire. Keep in mind it wasn't "hopping" like it was out of balance...

The really scary part of all this was this:

Tire001.jpg

There was actually a tear in the tire that had not (yet) gone all of the way through. I think about the fact that if I had ignored this much longer that I could have had a high speed blowout.... the resulting imagined picture is not too pretty.

So the moral: if you think you have problem with your tire, check it *carefully* lest you end up road pizza for no good reason.

by the by... anyone have any idea what could cause this kind of thing while apparently not being out of balance?

-Rick

Shitty tire. That tire is known to wear like moist ass cheese. Everybody talks about it. Where ya been? :)

Thanks for the info and detailed pics Rick!

It almost looks like a flat spot on the tire where there's excessive wear.

Thanks for the info and detailed pics Rick!

It almost looks like a flat spot on the tire where there's excessive wear.

It is. That's the really curious part. It is a flat spot that is off-center (hence the side-to side shake). But flat spots like this are usually associated with badly out-of-balance wheels and usually centered and usually produce "hop". I didn't get any of this. Right now, I am just writing it off as not just a "bad" tire, but an actually defective one....

-Rick

Hypothesis:

The rubber on the tire looks very dry in those pictures, as in dry rotted. Could it be that your bike (or that tire) sat in one spot for a long time, like in the window of a bike shop, and that section of the front tire was exposed to sunlight during that time? The UV blasted, dried out rubber section could then wear away much faster than the unexposed sections.

I wish we'd have taken a few pictures of Tim "designflaw" tire this spring..

His front stone was toast. 1/4 inch tread depth but it was feathered and had a multitude of blisters. Maybe 1/2 an inch long 1/4 to 3/8's wide. It appeared as though the carcass had somehow separated from the belts..

:blink:

Hypothesis:

The rubber on the tire looks very dry in those pictures, as in dry rotted. Could it be that your bike (or that tire) sat in one spot for a long time, like in the window of a bike shop, and that section of the front tire was exposed to sunlight during that time? The UV blasted, dried out rubber section could then wear away much faster than the unexposed sections.

I got the bike back in April, and it had been kept in a agarge - extremely well-cared for. They did not *appear* to be dry rotted - no signs of the usual cracks.... but who knows? I agree that it does look like it sat on that spot for an extended period of time... it's just weird and I should have inspected it more closely when I first noted the vibration...

Shitty tire. That tire is known to wear like moist ass cheese. Everybody talks about it. Where ya been? :)
So, what tires do you recommend?
Depends what you want them for. Some current popular tires for the FJR:

- Michelin Pilot Road 2

- Michelin Pilot Road 3 (Still to new for a consensus on these)

- Bridgestone Battleax 023 (NOT the OEM 021)

- Pirelli Angel

And my new favorite for handling and ride (probably will have shitty life) and cheap to boot: Conti Motions.

So, what tires do you recommend?
Depends what you want them for. Some current popular tires for the FJR:

- Michelin Pilot Road 2

- Michelin Pilot Road 3 (Still to new for a consensus on these)

- Bridgestone Battleax 023 GT (NOT the OEM 021)

- Pirelli Angel

And my new favorite for handling and ride (probably will have shitty life) and cheap to boot: Conti Motions.
fixed...if you're gonna go for the BT-023, get the GT