Motorcycle deaths

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCMike

Reaction score
We FJR riders, as a whole, are a safe bunch of riders, but we always need to keep stats like these in the back of our minds as a constant reminder how dangerous our passion can be.

clicky thingy

I believe it would be a great advantage if DMV's would require new riders to stick with a 125cc bike for at least one year, before being eligible for buying/operating a higher cc bike. That would diminish fatalities a great deal and give these riders enough time to get acquainted with the physics and get the skills of riding/shifting/leaning/steering/breaking a.s.f a motorcycle.

Lots of powerful bikes are being purchased and operated by riders without the necessary skills and prudence.

Many riders over estimate their skills and under estimate the power/weight of their bikes.

Alfredo

We FJR riders, as a whole, are a safe bunch of riders, but we always need to keep stats like these in the back of our minds as a constant reminder how dangerous our passion can be.

clicky thingy
I saw the that article too. Although the original idea was a very good one, raising awareness of bike riders, their execution sucked. First they went to the biggest poser bar in the Twin Cities. Then all they show are helmetless riders in front of a bar. <_<

I agree that new riders should be required to start on a smaller bike. I often ride with sport bikes and notice a trend that new riders join in with GSXR's and such. Two weeks later they are crying that they totalled it.

I hate seeing any rules imposed on anyone; however, it would be nice if lots more common sense were used by new riders and parents of those new riders. It would be smart for all new riders to do a MSF. It would also be smart to get a smaller bike for the first ride. The lower CC bikes are still scary fast, brake well, handle well, etc. I would recommend a 500cc twin max for your first bike, something fun but not crazy.

Lets face it, for a first time riders bike a GSXR or other sport bike is asking for huge trouble. Granted 60mph or 80mph is that on any bike, but getting to that speed in less then a few seconds makes a huge difference.

Anyway, great stats and things to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the recent past, a lot of 40+ year olds got the itch to be rebels. They went out, and dove in head first, and bought Harleys without any, or little training/knowledge, because a Hardly was the "man's" bike, and men just automaticaly are experts at anything motorized. One of several causes of the harsh stats.

clicky thingy
I saw the that article too. Although the original idea was a very good one, raising awareness of bike riders, their execution sucked. First they went to the biggest poser bar in the Twin Cities. Then all they show are helmetless riders in front of a bar. <_<
Come on now....he was wearing a stocking hat. :rolleyes: That ought to be enough cushion, when he comes out of the bar drunk, and wrecks his shiny bike. Besides, I'm guessing he also is a bit thick-headed, which will help when 1/2 his head gets ground down while sliding on the pavement. :rolleyes:

I hate seeing any rules imposed on anyone; however, it would be nice if lots more common sense were used by new riders and parents of those new riders.
I agree with all your sentiments -- except this one. I think it comes down to either Educate or Legislate. Common sense continues to be in short supply. Society does a disservice to the populace by turning away from the carnage in the name of "Rights". (jmho)

I hate seeing any rules imposed on anyone; however, it would be nice if lots more common sense were used by new riders and parents of those new riders.
I agree with all your sentiments -- except this one. I think it comes down to either Educate or Legislate. Common sense continues to be in short supply. Society does a disservice to the populace by turning away from the carnage in the name of "Rights". (jmho)
Good words. It's kind of sad that it's Americans that seem to be the dumbasses. Just take a peek at the rest of the world. Look at all the excessive money spent on highways (as well as other things) to prevent dumbasses from hurting themselves.

Add lack of responsibility & lawyers on every corner....

Just locally: some poor 16 yr. old kid killed himself the other day.... riding an R1, no endorcement, passing in a no-pass zone, speeding...........

And the parents let him ride an R1 because: ____________________________________- ???

Ya gotta love this comment:

To all you nanny liberal crybabies out there who don't like me on my Harley exercising my freedom of choice not to wear a helmet, shut the h--- up. Unlike a liberal I accept full responsibility for my decisions and fully understand that my risk increases without a helmet. Do I have loud pipes, yes, but they are 50-state legal pipes. Although by the time the current administration is done trying to save Americans from our freedom and rights I'll be a wanted felon. Riding itself is an expression of freedom, just you and the road. Mix in a handful of other bikers and its even better. Go figure out something else to legislate, there are plenty of other rights for liberals to trample, just leave us bikers alone.

posted by qmglen44

First of all, it's a perfect example of third grade education, trailer trash mentality. Somebody in Minnesota tell this douchebag that driving ANY vehicle is not a right, it's a privilege gained by a licensing procedure.

Then someone explain to him that we'll just bill his grieving family for the bloody mess of flesh, brains & bone fragments that he left on the road "exercising" his freedom.

:asshat2:

Ya gotta love this comment:

To all you nanny liberal crybabies out there who don't like me on my Harley exercising my freedom of choice not to wear a helmet, shut the h--- up. Unlike a liberal I accept full responsibility for my decisions and fully understand that my risk increases without a helmet. Do I have loud pipes, yes, but they are 50-state legal pipes. Although by the time the current administration is done trying to save Americans from our freedom and rights I'll be a wanted felon. Riding itself is an expression of freedom, just you and the road. Mix in a handful of other bikers and its even better. Go figure out something else to legislate, there are plenty of other rights for liberals to trample, just leave us bikers alone.

posted by qmglen44

"3 of 4 people liked this comment"
:blink:

Huh?

"3 of 4 people liked this comment" :blink:
Huh?
I'd say here in Minnesota less than 3 of 4 wear helmets and it doesn't seem to matter what they ride. Cruisers mostly no lid, Harley riders almost never, sport bikes hang their helmet on the back even Goldwingers are 50/50 at best. I don't get it.

Rick, you just be careful. We LOVE our folks.... well, you know! :fans:

I believe it would be a great advantage if DMV's would require new riders to stick with a 125cc bike for at least one year, before being eligible for buying/operating a higher cc bike. That would diminish fatalities a great deal and give these riders enough time to get acquainted with the physics and get the skills of riding/shifting/leaning/steering/breaking a.s.f a motorcycle.
There's a lot to be said for tiered licensing. Back in the dark ages, kids in England could only ride 49cc mopeds which were capable of being propelled by pedals, at age 16. Of course the manufacturers got smart and made the sport mopeds which were pretty nippy for the time. At 17yrs, a rider with a permit was limited to 250cc until the DVLC (DMV) test was passed and then the sky was the limit.

I rode hundreds of miles on my moped, and learned a lot without having to listen to any of those OLD people who wanted to teach me stuff. I knew a lot more back then, than I do now but at least 49cc protected me from myself until I wised up a bit.

But things were a lot different back then. Us kids wanted our bikes to go places, without spending a lot on gas. We weren't into posing. What are the main reasons for bike purchase these days? How many new riders buy a bike because of the image? (Not mentioning any particular brand here :lol: )

Jill

I hate to see anyone lose their life for no good reason at all, in the Air Force there is a rule that requires new riders to take the MSF beginners course and are restricted to a 600cc sport bike and 900 cc cruiser/standard. I only started riding legally and regularly 3 years ago and my first year out the gate I was on a Honda Shadow 600. Big difference in power and handling ability, however the one constant is I love myself and my family and ride ATGATT and am scared of two things high side and a spaced/drunk drivers. Whether it is 125cc's, 600cc's or our lovely 1300 it comes down to the rider and some people just shouldn't be on motorcycle's. Granted good riders die but the vast majority of the guy's who die on bike's are those who had no business being there in the first place. I dont believe in these restrictions IMHO if you regulate motorcycles next thing you know people will be calling for restrictions on cages. There is people problem not a motorcycle problem kinda like guns don't kill people, people kill people. Like I said high side and a spaced out/drunk driver they scare me and they will kill me dead no matter what size bike I am on.

So deaths from motorcycle accidents are rising faster the rate of new riders? Is this somehow supposed to make me think that due to crowding on the roads/poor maintenance of roads/rising levels of squids in the oceans even experienced riders are dying at a higher rate? I don't think so. Any motorcyclist dying is sad, but what I really want to know is if the average experience (years riding) of these motorcyclists in fatal accidents is going up.

It's entirely possible (and from my own limited observations probable) that new riders are dying at a much higher rate than they were in the past. Considering the performance/HP increases over the last 20 or so years and I'm not surprised. Energy increases with the square of velocity. If you go down at 42 miles an hour you have twice as much energy to dissipate than if you go down at 30 MPH. If you put an inexperienced rider on an old motorcycle the limits of the motor and chassis prevented them from taking turns all that fast. With a newer bike an inexperienced rider can just keep going faster and faster in a turn. Unfortunately when his/her ego writes a check too large for his/her skill to cash the speeds involved are staggering.

Unlike a car which can be pushed from 95% to 110% with little more than sliding and screeching of tires a motorcycle is not nearly as forgiving when the rider exceeds the limit.

One should also consider that the statistics don't include Vehicle Miles Traveled (VMT). IIRC, they also don't include other vital evidence, such as: traffic density, road surface, inattentive driver of other vehicle and other points made by FuzzyRider.