Motorcycle Tech Schools in the VA area?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verranth

Reaction score
After searching on Google with the title of this thread, I'm reaching out to you guys. I am capable of learning, but I dont have anyone to teach me how to do most of the regular maintenance stuff.

The oil changes I do myself, and the draining the whale jeez is also easy. But I'm reaching 12K on my 2009 FJR, and I've never done some of the other important things. Like what? Glad you asked...

1. Lube! (not mine, hers!) Chasis, levers, side stand, center stand, etc

(I saw something somewhere that we should remove the center stand bolts and grease things up in and around the collars??

2. TB sycn - yeah, I am chicken ***t and dont want to do it blind. I'd rather see someone do it first.

3. Blow Job ...for the radiator fluid. And no, it's not an offer, it's just all I remember from some instructions about some technique relating to the bike!

4. Spark Plug removal (I hear it's super easy)

5. Brake fluid change

I think that's about it for now. At some point...probalby next year when I hit 13K I will probably have to bite the bullet and take it into a dealer and get my rear tire changed out, and might as well get them to service the forks. I hear new fluid is required every ~15K miles?

So, all this to say, I want to learn how to do this myself. I'm willing to go to a trade school. Or, If anyone in the area has a tech day, I would be forever greatful for taking some of that knowledge!

Thanks.

I live in the DC metro area.

All of the things you listed are pretty simple. I am in King George and would be more than happy to work with you. I do all my own maintenance. The only thing I haven't done is mounting/balancing tires. I get it done pretty cheap at a local tire shop, so haven't spent the money on a changer/balancer. I have the garage and tools including carbtune for TBS. We can work out a weekend to do your work if you want. Myself and another local guy will be doing some wrenching probably next weekend. You can join us if you like. PM me.

I see from your profile your birthday is the day after mine! Only I'm 33 years older! I too have been fearful of doing certain things to my FJR, mostly because it is at least in my case a big investment and I don't want to make things worse or damage something! I see the things you want to do in my opinion as not too difficult and the offer from Intech will be a great opportunity! The best confidence builder is having that person beside you who has done the work before and you get to learn from their experience. Get in there and have fun, except for the possibility of the bike falling over when you remove the center stand (kidding) you will enjoy the experience.

All of the things you listed are pretty simple. I am in King George and would be more than happy to work with you. I do all my own maintenance. The only thing I haven't done is mounting/balancing tires. I get it done pretty cheap at a local tire shop, so haven't spent the money on a changer/balancer. I have the garage and tools including carbtune for TBS. We can work out a weekend to do your work if you want. Myself and another local guy will be doing some wrenching probably next weekend. You can join us if you like. PM me.
Intech, thanks for the gracious offer. PM sent.

Also, I'm interested in that shop you use. I got a quote from a woodbridge dealer and I would like to compare the prices for changing that rear tire...

Wow, mucho astounding... you get 13,000 miles on a rear tire? holy crap!

& I'm a woman... & I usually do all of my own maintenance. If there's something that I don't know how to do, I get my trusty buds to help a sista' out. Most things are pretty easy for the most part.

Bob, is this weekend a tech day? I'm in need of a TBS since my bike hasn't had one in a few years. I don't have the tool nor the know how to do it, myself.

Well I was considering making it an informal tech day. I can't offer any accomodations, so it would have to be just a day thing.

It's next weekend, right? You don't want me to stay & drink all your beer??? (that'd be impossible since you drink that hoppy, chewy beer) I could probably stay with Jay for the night. I'm going to check my schedule & get back with you about this. Who else is coming over, Mike?

It's next weekend, right? You don't want me to stay & drink all your beer??? (that'd be impossible since you drink that hoppy, chewy beer) I could probably stay with Jay for the night. I'm going to check my schedule & get back with you about this. Who else is coming over, Mike?
A guy from NOVA that wants to learn some wrenching and Jay right now. Haven't talked to Mike. I actually have a couple of Bud Lights in the fridge thqat you are welcome to.

If it's all the same to you guys, I'll bring some bourbon and some ginger ale. Or, we could forget the ginger ale, and just drink the bourbon with an ice cube or two =)

Edit:

Luvtoride,

Was it you that had the lowered FJR? If so, i would love to see your bike. I've been considering dropping mine about an inch.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Verranth... no lowered FJR. I have a 32" inseam & flatfoot fine.

& if FJR's are being ridden I am out on the drinking thing.

What is Jay planning to do to his bike? Is it the fork seal? I know he blew a seal... I could tell by the look on the seal's face. lol! He'd kill me if he heard me say that.

Actually, he's supposed to be @ my house tonight. I'm not holding onto hope that he's coming, though. He's not answering my text messages about it.

Heidi - yes on the seal replacement. (I was thinking the same thing as I read your post!)

Raul - Do you have the new rear tire? If so, my shop will mount and balance it for $20. We will have to do the R&R of the wheel off the bike and get it to them no laster than 11 A.M. That day. If you are pricing the change out at Colemans with them doing the labor it will be a whole lot more.

I can be talked into helping, I live close to Intech in Fredericksburg. I have tire mounting, balancing tools, and a synch rig.

Fredericksburg Motorsports and Colemans are on my shit list.

$20 is cheap to mount a tire.

Verranth where do you live?

I can be talked into helping, I live close to Intech in Fredericksburg. I have tire mounting, balancing tools, and a synch rig.

PowerMan,

I'm in Centreville, VA. So about an hour north of you. I appreciate your offer. I will contact you again when the metals starts to show on the tires (j/k). When it gets a little closer, I'll contact you again. And, in typical fashion, your choice of beverage is on me =).

As for Colemans, I did get a quote from them to get my rear tire changed. It was a little pricey, but since I dont have any tools, nor a garage to put them in, it was the only thing I could do. Luckily, I found some threads on this forum and made the suspension changes. Now, I really know how the bike is feeling and the tires are still working out for me. I'm not supper aggressive, and as long as the tires still grip the road, I'm going to run them until they are truely and completely used up. No sense in wasting a thousand miles of tread if I dont have to.

Heidi - yes on the seal replacement. (I was thinking the same thing as I read your post!)
Raul - Do you have the new rear tire? If so, my shop will mount and balance it for $20. We will have to do the R&R of the wheel off the bike and get it to them no laster than 11 A.M. That day. If you are pricing the change out at Colemans with them doing the labor it will be a whole lot more.
Intech,

I dont have any tires. I have 3K on my front PR2, and 11K on my rear, with 1K tread left (estimated).

The only things that I think are pressing:

1. Lubing the chasis and pivot points (most important, as most are starting to look dry)

---------- (Can wait until next riding season) --------------

2. Fluid change (I bought my 09 FJR brand new in Feb of 2010, and as I understand it, it's about time to clear out those fluids)

3. TBS (the really truely completely unofficial version)

PowerMan,

I'm in Centreville, VA. So about an hour north of you. I appreciate your offer. I will contact you again when the metals starts to show on the tires (j/k). When it gets a little closer, I'll contact you again. And, in typical fashion, your choice of beverage is on me =).

As for Colemans, I did get a quote from them to get my rear tire changed. It was a little pricey, but since I dont have any tools, nor a garage to put them in, it was the only thing I could do. Luckily, I found some threads on this forum and made the suspension changes. Now, I really know how the bike is feeling and the tires are still working out for me. I'm not supper aggressive, and as long as the tires still grip the road, I'm going to run them until they are truely and completely used up. No sense in wasting a thousand miles of tread if I dont have to.

Intech,

I dont have any tires. I have 3K on my front PR2, and 11K on my rear, with 1K tread left (estimated).

The only things that I think are pressing:

1. Lubing the chasis and pivot points (most important, as most are starting to look dry)

---------- (Can wait until next riding season) --------------

2. Fluid change (I bought my 09 FJR brand new in Feb of 2010, and as I understand it, it's about time to clear out those fluids)

3. TBS (the really truely completely unofficial version)
Easy stuff to do. You can bring the fluids with you or we can go get them after you get here.

What is Jay planning to do to his bike? Is it the fork seal? I know he blew a seal... I could tell by the look on the seal's face. lol! He'd kill me if he heard me say that.
Actually, Jay's face would be more telling ;)

"A vacationing penguin is driving his through Arizona when he notices that the oil pressure light is on. He gets out to look and sees oil dripping out of the motor. He drives to the nearest town and stops at the first gas station.

After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk around town. He sees an ice-cream shop and, being a penguin in Arizona, decides that something cold would really hit the spot. He gets a big dish of ice cream and sits down to eat. Having no hands he makes a real mess trying to eat with his flippers. After finishing his ice cream, he goes back to the gas station and asks the mechanic if he's found the problem. The mechanic looks up and says "It looks like you blew a seal."

"No no," the penguin replies, "it's just ice cream."

Apology for my typically unhelpful hijack :p

Actually, Jay's face would be more telling
wink.png

"A vacationing penguin is driving his through Arizona when he notices that the oil pressure light is on. He gets out to look and sees oil dripping out of the motor. He drives to the nearest town and stops at the first gas station.

After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk around town. He sees an ice-cream shop and, being a penguin in Arizona, decides that something cold would really hit the spot. He gets a big dish of ice cream and sits down to eat. Having no hands he makes a real mess trying to eat with his flippers. After finishing his ice cream, he goes back to the gas station and asks the mechanic if he's found the problem. The mechanic looks up and says "It looks like you blew a seal."

"No no," the penguin replies, "it's just ice cream."

Apology for my typically unhelpful hijack
tongue.png
I suppose it's payback for the "short" comment on that other post!