Moving to the East Coast (job offer) Need info

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live about 20 minutes east of Winchester( about 35miles+- west of fairfax). I commute to Sterling(next to the Faifax county line) in the morning and it takes about 45minutes. From that point on the traffic gets even more congested considering most people in my area work in or around DC. As with Fjr Flyer , one accident causes a decent delay. There aren't many alternate routes that aren't used around here. Not sure how far out you are planning to stay, but there is a lot of housing going up in the southwestern direction. Warrenton is right off Rt 66.

Oh, and keep in mind, alot of people around here are more interested in their phone conversations, texting etc, then they are with their driving. So watch out for the other person. They may not be watching for you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in late January, I was given the choice of relocating to work out of the corporate office in Gaithersburg, MD, or taking a separation. That was after COB on a Wednesday, and I was told that I "didn't have to decide right then", but that I "needed to decide by Friday COB"... That Friday.

I didn't want to seem like too big of an aholio, so waited until Friday to officially decline the relo. I liked visiting the area, when I had to go to corporate office, but move there? Nope. Nada. Never. If I lived in Houston, (and I have), I might consider it, but leaving Austin to move to the East coast wouldn't happen in a century of Sundays for this cat.

I grew up in Montgomery County, MD in the 50s, and worked in Fairfax for 10 years in the 70s. Moved to Phoenix and haven't looked back.

Upsides to the east coast: Culture, museums, scenery, beaches and mountains close by, historical sites, schools (especially in Fairfax), Spring and Fall are usually beautiful but can be wet, - a great place to raise a family.

Downsides: Too crowded, traffic - especially in and around DC and along I-95 and I-66 (but not that much worse than my limited experience with Houston), expense but probably just different than Texas (ie one tax will be higher, another lower), weather can be miserable - hot and humid summers (but no worse that Houston), winters damp and cold and sometimes icy.

My daughter and her family live in Alexandria, VA, and LOVE it. I live in Phoenix and LOVE it. Different strokes for different folks.

As one who just spent a month in Maryland last week I'd say avoid the whole State... Traffic suks, and they charge you a toll just to pull outa yer driveway. 95 is crazy busy with the morning an evening rush.

Best bet is hire a driver and grab 12 beers for the ride on that path.

As one who just spent a month in Maryland last week I'd say avoid the whole State... Traffic suks, and they charge you a toll just to pull outa yer driveway. 95 is crazy busy with the morning an evening rush.

Best bet is hire a driver and grab 12 beers for the ride on that path.

I wondered about the clown who kept mooning people on the road every day for a while. The State Police are now looking for somebody who looks like this:

SH2R1-6.jpg

Oh, and yer supposed to put the window down!

As for the rest...

I get to visit Phoenix and various Texas cities & generally like the southwest but you can keep your heat. One of our engineers lived in Phoenix for years and quit to move to the DC area to escape the heat and because there is more to do at shorter distances on the east coast. There are attractions and beauty to all towns, it's just how you fit & to each their own. Bottom line is that Willy will be in VA for a while and we'll learn his views as time goes on.