MSF Instructors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregorytx

Reaction score
Just sent my application off to Texas DPS to get signed up for an instructors course. I was just curious how many MSF instructors are on the forum and how long you have been teaching it. I've been thinking about doing it for awhile, I have plenty of down time now so I'm able.

Congrats on your decision, gregorytx. I hope you find teaching to be as fun and rewarding as I and many others have found it to be. This is my fourth year teaching. There are actually quite a few instuctors here on the forum. Besides SPORT and myself, there's myzen, cougar8000, Jon, CHRIS D, Nees, John T, Silver Penguin.....and probably several more that I dont recall at the moment.

Best of luck with your Instructor Prep class :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll be fun. I'm used to instructing, been doing it for a number of years, both in military and law enforcement. It should be a good time; help me do something constructive when I am off.

Congrats on your decision, gregorytx. I hope you find teaching to be as fun and rewarding as I and many others have found it to be. This is my fourth year teaching. There are actually quite a few instuctors here on the forum. Besides SPORT and myself, there's myzen, cougar8000, Jon, CHRIS D, Nees, John T, Silver Penguin.....and probably several more that I dont recall at the moment.
Best of luck with your Instructor Prep class :thumbsup:

Present!! 1 year this month. I have been teaching every other weekend for the last year except for December and January.

Teaching MSF is very rewarding. Can be frustrating at times, but the end result is worth it.

If you can, try and do the RCP on 3 consecutive weekends instead of 9 days straight. The RCP can be a little overwhelming with all of the info they throw at you.

If I can be of ANY help please feel free to PM me.

Was certified for a few years in the 90's. Teaching the class is very rewarding, just couldn't deal with all the BS from the program managers here in Washington. After I had been teaching for a few years, all of a sudden we all needed to get business licenses and become "indepentent contractors". That was the final straw that took the fun out of it. The money didn't mean anything, it certainly didn't over expenses for me.

I hope you enjoy it, it is very challenging to get through the course and get certified. Hopefully your state runs the program much better than here. (It may have improved since I quit teaching, I don't know) It is fun to watch the husband and wife teams come through the class and watch her out score him. B)

Being from PA I feel pretty spoiled. The MSF class is absolutely free to students! MSF of PA (MSP) get roughly $2 from every regestered rider in the state of PA each year. In addition to the thousands already riding motorcycles here in Harley country, we licensed 26,000 riders in 2007...do the math :) Although I couldn't live off the proceeds of coaching (about 12 a year), it does pay for ALL of my farkles as well as road trips.

Like everyone else here, it is very rewarding, challenging and fun. It's also enjoyable to have previous students recognize you months/years later and talk about their experiences as a motorcyclist.

Rule #1 when you become a coach. Keep it fun for the students!

Last edited by a moderator:
gregorytx:

I have been teaching MSF classes since 1992. I started with the CMSP in California and have also worked in Alabama, Pennsylvania, Nebraska and Iowa. 2009 will be my 18th training season.

I am a RiderCoach Trainer for Nebraska and Iowa. Next week I will be in Vancouver, Washington taking two courses to become certified to teach as well as train other RiderCoaches to teach the new Advanced Ridercourse - Sportbike Techniques (ARC-ST). This will allow me to conduct both the Military version and Civilian version of the MSF's new sportbike rider course.

Good luck with your RCP. It's the worst part of the whole gig.

Dave

Good luck on your MSF instructors class.....

I did MSF for 3 years ,,, it's great to help others get a safe start in motorcycling...

I got tried of dealing with the state of Ohio and MSF ,,,, but that's just me...

MSF is a great course and there's a lot of great instructors out there...

Good luck ,,,,

Welcome to the world of being a RiderCoach. It does occasionally have it times, however I been doing it for over 3 years now and really do enjoy it. Also don't forget to take advantage of all the wonderful discounts that vendors have to offer!

Good luck to you!!!

I have been terrorizing new people successfully for over 7 years :) There is nothing more rewarding then screaming and yelling on an unprepared young pop's :)

Good luck to you.

I get more excited than my students. Absolutley love it, Been teaching mi Alabama for about 2 years now, been a cone tech for about a year before that, Very rewarding.

Good luck on your class.

I just hit the two year mark teaching. I really enjoy teaching new students. There is nothing like getting feedback from a student that something you said kept them from crashing and being hurt or killed.

The only down side, for me anyway, is the dang thigh/butt cramps I get riding the small 250cc bikes the first class or two at the start of the teaching season. Other then that, I love it.

Good luck on your class.
I just hit the two year mark teaching. I really enjoy teaching new students. There is nothing like getting feedback from a student that something you said kept them from crashing and being hurt or killed.

The only down side, for me anyway, is the dang thigh/butt cramps I get riding the small 250cc bikes the first class or two at the start of the teaching season. Other then that, I love it.
Nothing worse then getting the old leg cramps and also trying to maintain that good riding posture for the riders. :blink: :blink: :blink:

been teaching for 6 years...good times.

Bad thing: spending beautiful weekends standing on hot tarmac cooking your toes instead of on the road...just ask my GF.

But so far it's been worth it. Have fun and good luck!

I started teaching teaching last year in the Chicago land area and it's been mostly rewarding. One mistake I made is to give out my personal email to the students in case they have any questions down the road. The only email I ever got was from a woman that I had to fail who claimed I was biased, the bikes were not in working order, and the range aid tried to make her crash??. Tell the student if they need to contact you to get a hold of you through the program.

Also keep in mind not all instructors are created equal, one instructor I've taught with seemed to be having quite the power trip witch only made the students nervous. Nervous students = crashes and crash reports. Working with a good instructor makes it a dream job :D

I'm about to start my second season teaching the Safety Services Motorcycle Training course in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. This course use similar material and instructions techniques as MSF.

I am at six years of teaching. Only wish I had started much earlier. Not only has it made me a better rider, the "instructor community" is full of awesome folks and, maybe for the first time, I feel I am doing something that makes a difference in peoples lives.

Congratulations and I hope you have a long career as an instructor.

Jon