Multiple Bike Syndrome

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds about right to me. Good to see a BMW guy with an open mind. My BMW buddy wiuldn't "lower" himself to ride a JAP bike. Good. More for me.

Dublin, huh? I used to fish both the Olentangy and Scioto rivers as a younger man and as a kid (a lifetime, ago).

That story sounds a awful lot like my experience. I still have my BMW, but it hasn't seen many miles since July 13.

I actually rode my FJR to our last BMW club meeting. I was very late getting home becaue when the meeting was over everyone in the parking lot wanted to check out "that FJR I've been reading so much about."

BMW makes fine machines, but I am afraid they have become a little too proud of them lately. Their new naked bike is listed over $13,000, and that price does not inlclude a center stand, trip computer, ABS (a $1,100 option) or luggage. Ouch!!

VM

That story sounds a awful lot like my experience. I still have my BMW, but it hasn't seen many miles since July 13.
I actually rode my FJR to our last BMW club meeting. I was very late getting home becaue when the meeting was over everyone in the parking lot wanted to check out "that FJR I've been reading so much about."

BMW makes fine machines, but I am afraid they have become a little too proud of them lately. Their new naked bike is listed over $13,000, and that price does not inlclude a center stand, trip computer, ABS (a $1,100 option) or luggage. Ouch!!

VM
When my BMW pal bought his R1150R a couple of years ago, his tally was around 13,500.00 once hard bags were added. The dash unit featured a very prominent clock, but no fuel gauge.

Hmmmm, I'll tell you what. How about giving me a fuel gauge and I'll wear a watch. Is it me, or does knowing how much fuel you actually have in the tank seem like an inportant little tidbit of information. And no, I don't feel like having to do a mental equation of miles traveled and approximate mpg to figure out fuel level. So....you feel that motorcycles need power brakes (servo assist) but they don't need a fuel gauge? O.Kaaaaaayyyyyy...

All this and less for 13,500.00. Pure genius.

With all of the great bikes on the market, how does a seemingly intelligent human being justify a transaction such as this. Better yet, how do they feel good about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
With all of the great bikes on the market, how does a seemingly intelligent human being justify a transaction such as this. Better yet, how do they feel good about it?
Oh c'mon. BMW bikes are very nice. I might have bought the K1200GT (I think that's it) had I had a dealer closer for servicing. When you're talking 13k versus 18k, yes it's 5 grand but you're in the ballpark. I think the thing looks nice--maybe even nicer than the FJR to my eyes, but that's too close to call really.

I haven't ridden the FJR (will be tomorrow at about this time). However, I'm wondering if the FJR isn't more of a sportbike in spirit that was "growed up" to be a good supersport tourer, whereas the BMWs have always been about sport touring from the ground up. Depending upon what matters--for me, service, expense of service (big money for BMW service), and to a lesser extent price--the big BMW might be a better fit.

Having said that, I wouldn't have the boxer engine in half of their other bikes.

Well, I still have my R1150RS and the little SV. I happen to like variety in my life and living without either blinders or so much insecurity that I have to justify my choices by putting other's choices down.

Oh c'mon. BMW bikes are very nice. I might have bought the K1200GT (I think that's it) had I had a dealer closer for servicing. When you're talking 13k versus 18k, yes it's 5 grand but you're in the ballpark. I think the thing looks nice--maybe even nicer than the FJR to my eyes, but that's too close to call really.

I haven't ridden the FJR (will be tomorrow at about this time). However, I'm wondering if the FJR isn't more of a sportbike in spirit that was "growed up" to be a good supersport tourer, whereas the BMWs have always been about sport touring from the ground up. Depending upon what matters--for me, service, expense of service (big money for BMW service), and to a lesser extent price--the big BMW might be a better fit.

Having said that, I wouldn't have the boxer engine in half of their other bikes.
Something tells me I know something of the BMW sport touring bike. I owned the first one: 1977 BMW R100RS.

1BMWR100RS.jpg

I miss having the old girl around. I was fully intending on replacing her with a 2005 R1200RT or the 2004 K1200GT. Then I rode the FJR. Yep, I was lucky enough to score a test ride. Two minutes into the ride I had made up my mind that the FJR was the bike I was looking for. This is after multiple rides on the new RT and GT. Now the 2006 GT is certainly a different beast, but it is BMW that is trying to play catch up to Yamaha in the world of Sport Touring. Not the other way around.

Well, I still have my R1150RS and the little SV. I happen to like variety in my life and living without either blinders or so much insecurity that I have to justify my choices by putting other's choices down.

Personally, I don't give a shit what someone decides to buy. That said, I CAN discuss choices I make or the choices someone else makes based on the obvious facts that present themselves. This has nothing to do with insecurity. It is simply an observational discussion about what potental motives people have in making the choices they do.

The humorous part of the story was how much I had to listen to his bragging of the superior technology of the BMW he selected. The bragging seemed to lesson somewhat the second time the bike was loaded onto a flatbed, leaving him to finish his trip riding shotgun for the flatbed driver. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be cruel...but it WAS funny. O.K., shoot me....but it WAS funny.

I will definitely be waiting your "first ride" report. Please post under this heading and quote yourself...uhm, your before and after comments should offer interesting insight. :dribble: :rolleyes: ;)

I will definitely be waiting your "first ride" report. Please post under this heading and quote yourself...uhm, your before and after comments should offer interesting insight. :dribble: :rolleyes: ;)
Will do. I don't imagine I'll learn much about performance as I won't be pushing it. Hopefully the riding position will agree with me over the long haul. I'm also hoping the stock wind protection works good too.

It's actually kind of cool . . I'm taking Amtrak for 3 hours to the dealer, picking up the bike, and riding home.

O'vale what a beauty! I will have one before I die. Came close last year but he decided to keep it another year, time to call him again. Old boxers rule!

My last 2 bikes (before the FJR) were BMWs. When I saw the FJR in Daytona I had to order one (I think the multiple bike syndrome [MBS] was just kicking in...). My logic was that instead of replacing my R1100GS with the K1200 GT, I could keep the R1100 and buy the FJR for the same money. The logic held but then I found myself riding the FJR much more than my trusty GS. I sold the GS but after much grief from fellow members in the local BMW club, I found a 1974 BMW R90S that needed some restoration and made it a winter project. Now I have the best of both worlds (and am starting to look at other bikes as well) Is my MBS getting worse?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH It took him two weeks to do a thousand miles. AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAH

Ok, sorry. Just kidding.

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH

Will do. I don't imagine I'll learn much about performance as I won't be pushing it.

Yes you will. The bike absolutely yearns to go, and you, too, will fall prey to its syren song of the throttle.

Thing is, you really don't have to twist it up that high or that hard to get some seriously spirited riding out of it. There's enough torque that you can, at once, keep the RPM down and the bike moving at a decent clip, straight or twisties.

Enjoy. I *finally* made the right choice in bikes.

I pleade insanity your honor. I'm just crazy bout all them bikes. Can't get it out of my system...PM. <>< :yahoo:

I had a BMW R1150RT. I bought it in Germany while stationed there so it cost me $13,249 back in 03. It was an 04 model. I loved that bike and it never let me down in over 14K miles. I began to find that the bike just did not have enough power for me. So, in 05 BMW came out with the R1200RT which did answer the power issue for me. However, BMW priced it out of my range so I had to look else where. The 06 FJR answered the call. The only thing I wish the FJR had was more outlets for accessories. My old BMW had two just behind my left leg and no they were not limited to 3amps like the one in the 06 FJR glove box.

BMW is a great bike. However, it is to much money for ME. Also, the dealer/maint. network is much smaller than Yamaha. I did not like the idea of taking long trips in the USA and have the possibility of breaking down hunderds of miles from the nearest BMW shop. If they decreased their prices and increased their dealer network I would be interested again. For now though, the FJR is the badest ST bike out there for the dollar, hands down IMHO. Besides, getting an 06 FJR for $11,500 saved me money to spend on farkles. :yahoo:

Besides, getting an 06 FJR for $11,500 saved me money to spend on farkles. :yahoo:
I hereby forbid anyone else from reminding me I spent too much on my '06. :(

Was that "out the door?"

Well, add a few hundred more for tax's and registration in FL. But yes, I paid just shy of 12k out the door from D&H. B)