My '03 may have seen her last miles.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question,this happened after a loooong wheelie..?
rolleyes.gif

Also,as ''RaYzerman19'' asked,let us know what oil filter was on the bike,how many kmiles was there and what oil you use?

rolleyes.gif
Also,as ''RaYzerman19'' asked,let us know what oil filter was on the bike,how many kmiles was there and what oil you use?
No, this was after about an hour and a half on the road, just going down a State Hwy at 70mph.

It was a Wix filter and I have mostly used Rotella T 15w40 oil.

Grady

rolleyes.gif
No, this was after about an hour and a half on the road, just going down a State Hwy at 70mph.

Grady
Everything sounds normal and good about the oil filter and oil..My opinion is that something has clog an oil passage,but this is only my opinion..

Thanks for the info.For about $800-1000 you could buy a used engine.Have a thought..

Could an oil pressure light, rather than the FJR's oil level light, perhaps have saved this, or at least limited damage to repairable bearings/journals? I suppose that depends upon where oil pressure is measured. As I think about it, probably not.

This is a rare failure for an FJR. That's a fair amount of work to remove and tear down the engine so thank you for sharing.

Unfortunately, it may be difficult to determine the actual cause of this.

Regards,

Mr. BR

Were the bad rod journals the farthest from the oil supply passage inlet? May just be that do to excessive oil clearance in the others that no oil was left to get that far. Then again, if it was that bad I would think it would have had rods knocking before going.

Could an oil pressure light, rather than the FJR's oil level light, perhaps have saved this, or at least limited damage to repairable bearings/journals? I suppose that depends upon where oil pressure is measured. As I think about it, probably not.
I think part of the problem with an oil pressure light/gauge would be convincing the potential owner(s) that having less than 5 psi of oil pressure warmed up at idle is normal. It's in the service manual, check it out.

Were the bad rod journals the farthest from the oil supply passage inlet? May just be that do to excessive oil clearance in the others that no oil was left to get that far. Then again, if it was that bad I would think it would have had rods knocking before going.
Here's what (half of) my crankcase looked like when I split it open:

SAM_0637.jpg

The gallery that feeds the main bearing journals is directly beneath the main bearings, and oil is delivered from the main bearings to the rod bearing journals through passages drilled in the crankshaft. The damaged journals on dunhamg's bike were the rod journals of cylinders 3 & 4, which would be on the right side in this photo. What feeds the main bearing gallery is the gallery that runs perpendicular to it. That's where the pump pushes oil through the filter and oil cooler before feeding the mains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa, wait a second.....these bikes have cookies? How do I get them out?

Interesting talk with D&H cycles this morning. He asked if I had done the Motoman break in on this bike. He said that my failure may be where that could show up in additional stress on the rods not going through enough heat cycles before seeing all the stress of red line rpm's.

I don't think most FJR owners are going to need to worry much about issues like this. I would willing to bet the use on this one is a bit of an outlier.

Grady

I think part of the problem with an oil pressure light/gauge would be convincing the potential owner(s) that having less than 5 psi of oil pressure warmed up at idle is normal. It's in the service manual, check it out.

SAM_0637.jpg

The gallery that feeds the main bearing journals is directly beneath the main bearings, and oil is delivered from the main bearings to the rod bearing journals through passages drilled in the crankshaft. The damaged journals on dunhamg's bike were the rod journals of cylinders 3 & 4, which would be on the right side in this photo. What feeds the main bearing gallery is the gallery that runs perpendicular to it. That's where the pump pushes oil through the filter and oil cooler before feeding the mains.
What is the back story on this one?

Grady

There are so many used engines available, and you already have yours out, I'd put a used engine in and go another 100K!

SAM_0637.jpg

What is the back story on this one?

Grady
2nd Gear. Twice. Second time I had the two corresponding brand new gears undercut so I'm pretty damn sure there won't be a 3rd time.

Was your trans popping out of any gears? I saw some fork damage in one or two of the pictures you posted.

The more I think about your engine, the more I think you lost clearance on the crankshaft main bearings from time/wear/beating on it. That would prevent oil from reaching the rod bearing(s), if it can't develop enough pressure because oil is pissing out of the worn main bearing. I do think your engine is definitely a statistical anomaly. Got any plastigage?

I strongly believe that something has clogged an oil passage..

An excessive clearance between the metals i don't believe that can cause a damage like this immediately in seconds..

An excessive clearance between the metals can cause more excessive wearing,but i don't believe again that can cause this damage immediately in a few seconds!

Whatever happened,happened in a few seconds,and i don't believe that the excessive clearance between the metals caused this damage in a few seconds..This damage looks like that between the metals there was a completely lack of oil..So for that reason the deformation of the connecting rods..

My opinion..

I strongly believe that something has clogged an oil passage..An excessive clearance between the metals i don't believe that can cause a damage like this immediately in seconds..

An excessive clearance between the metals can cause more excessive wearing,but i don't believe again that can cause this damage immediately in a few seconds!

Whatever happened,happened in a few seconds,and i don't believe that the excessive clearance between the metals caused this damage in a few seconds..This damage looks like that between the metals there was a completely lack of oil..So for that reason the deformation of the connecting rods..

My opinion..

rolleyes.gif

Grady
Sounds to me like the rod bearing was getting cooked for awhile. Look at the discoloration of the crankshaft where the #3 and #4 rod bearings ride:

5F98A554-8846-46BC-9DE4-D997C63F0940.jpg

To me, that doesn't look like it happened quickly, it took awhile for that heat to build up in an otherwise oily environment.