My first ride in 2007

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chips

Reaction score
I got the call from D&H on 1/17 and was asked, "When do you want to pick up your bike?". It took a quick check of the weather forecast and my calendar to determine that I'd be doing a fly-and-ride and the date would be 1/26. I arrived in Huntsville, AL around lunchtime and walked out of baggage claim to find a gentleman, Dave who was wearing a Yamaha hat and D&H shirt, waiting for me. He had specific instructions to take me to lunch and then deliver me to the shop. Long story short, the D&H purchasing experience was phenomenal and they sent me on my way around 4:45 PM. I rode some of Alabama's finest backroads until darkness finally chased me to the Interstate just southeast of Chattanooga. I spent the night in Knoxville and hightailed it home (I-40E -> I-81N -> I-66E -> I-95N) on Saturday. The weather was great for this time of the year (19 degrees in the morning warming up to the mid 50s during the day) but the gusty cross winds made for some exciting moments as I swerved to avoid trucks and vans being blown into my lane. I have discovered that the stock seat is fine for me and the keeping the bike under 80 mph is more of a challenge than I expected. According to my GPS, I travelled 860 miles and averaged 64 mph with my top speed being 99 mph. The trip computer on the bike showed 47.5 mpg as my trip average. Even with a 5% error compared to my GPS, this is a pretty good 45mpg. I was looking forward to riding today but ice on my driveway dispatched that notion in short order. Come on spring!!

:thumbsup: Congratulations! That's what customer service is all about. Wish that was the norm at all dealers. Now, how did you get the GPS installed? Did D&H do that for you, too? ... Wow. How 'bout some pics?

Last edited by a moderator:
My GPS is attached to my tankbag and D&H routed the wire into the cigarette lighter receptacle in the storage bin. They also installed my Gerbing cable, routing it under the tank and having it exit the left side of the seat where the seat meets the tank.

This is Dave

IMG_0578.jpg

Here's one of me with Jerold and Renaa. (Spelling confirmed with Renaa)

IMG_0583.jpg

Stopped in Manassas, VA.

IMG_0605.jpg

Trip summary from GPS.

IMG_0619.jpg

I got the call from D&H on 1/17 and was asked, "When do you want to pick up your bike?". It took a quick check of the weather forecast and my calendar to determine that I'd be doing a fly-and-ride and the date would be 1/26. I arrived in Huntsville, AL around lunchtime and walked out of baggage claim to find a gentleman, Dave who was wearing a Yamaha hat and D&H shirt, waiting for me. He had specific instructions to take me to lunch and then deliver me to the shop. Long story short, the D&H purchasing experience was phenomenal and they sent me on my way around 4:45 PM. I rode some of Alabama's finest backroads until darkness finally chased me to the Interstate just southeast of Chattanooga. I spent the night in Knoxville and hightailed it home (I-40E -> I-81N -> I-66E -> I-95N) on Saturday. The weather was great for this time of the year (19 degrees in the morning warming up to the mid 50s during the day) but the gusty cross winds made for some exciting moments as I swerved to avoid trucks and vans being blown into my lane. I have discovered that the stock seat is fine for me and the keeping the bike under 80 mph is more of a challenge than I expected. According to my GPS, I travelled 860 miles and averaged 64 mph with my top speed being 99 mph. The trip computer on the bike showed 47.5 mpg as my trip average. Even with a 5% error compared to my GPS, this is a pretty good 45mpg. I was looking forward to riding today but ice on my driveway dispatched that notion in short order. Come on spring!!
Congrats on the new bike, Love the color but the blue ones are faster..

Ride safe and now starts the farkles.

Lucky

Wow, thats a great first ride and kudo's for doing it this time of year. You guys just had a serious cold snap down that way didn't you? I hear so many good things about that dealership I'm definitely buying there myself the next time around. Its a little sad that I have to go half way across the country to find a decent dealership.....Yamaha may want to take notice. :glare:

I just noticed.....you only stopped for 18 minutes?!? Did you have someone else pumping your gas while you were peeing!!? Your a better man than I.

It's stories like this and the one JerryS had from DVP that make me realize that there are still folks out there that care about how they do business and care about their customers.

Here's a company, that under the "standard" rules, had no likelihood of getting your business. But because they reach out, and go above and beyond the standard method, they gain a customer who should have been able to just go to their neighborhood dealer.

Congrats on your new bike and fun ride home!

Good first ride, writeup & pics too, did you vary your speed on the interstates ? Sounds like yet another happy D&H camper. I've been neglecting Bessie for a week & she's starting to whine at me... Maybe it'll get up to 45 on Wednesday & I'll take her out for a spin.

Sounds like another 'average' D&H experience!

It's just that their average is light-years ahead of the vast majority of dealers out there.

Ah Chip! I laughed when I read your post. My girlfriend and I just got back last Thursday from a D&H trip. Dave picked us up at Huntsville also and was instructed to take us to lunch. It was dark by the time we left D&H and we delicately drove to our hotel, stopping first for a bite at the Cracker Barrel. Saturday the 20th we rode the back roads of Alabama so we could break the bikes in properly. Poor weather forced us south to I-12 where we stopped for the night in Covington before skirting around the north side of Lake Ponchartrain and then to I-10. The rain drops in Mississippi, Louisiana and East Texas were as big as pancakes but, after spending another night outside Houston, we continued happily along on our new beautiful toys. In San Antonio, Inlaw1 was kind enough to direct us to a great barbecue joint then service our bikes. We traveled along I-10 pressing west until Kerrville where we stayed the night. The next day the rain returned as we rolled into Ft. Stockton. With the temperature gauge at 34 degrees I was nervous to climb the hills to El Paso so we called it a short day and enjoyed a wonderful room at the Hampton Inn. The next morning the roads were dry and we hurried onward in hopes of beating the impending and rare snow heading for El Paso. On the way we came upon snow along the road 10 to 12 inches deep. We stopped for lunch in El Paso the raced through New Mexico where we were fortunate enough to make the acquaintance of a New Mexico State Patrol Officer! He told us he had clocked us at 87mph but let us off with a warning. We continued to Tuscon where we found all the rooms occupied so we made a decision to push to Casa Grande. Ft. Stockton to Casa Grande = 624 miles!! We were tired to say the least. Last day was cake... 410 miles to Fullerton and we were home.

Bikes ran perfectly. GPS showed average speed of 70mph with a top speed of 136mph but I didn't zero that out before we left so I think I had done that sometime before :eek: . I don't remember seeing the speedo go above 125mph. Can't say enough good things about D&H!. I will post some photos of our journey in the next day or so.

Ah Chip! I laughed when I read your post. My girlfriend and I just got back last Thursday from a D&H trip. Dave picked us up at Huntsville also and was instructed to take us to lunch. It was dark by the time we left D&H and we delicately drove to our hotel, stopping first for a bite at the Cracker Barrel. Saturday the 20th we rode the back roads of Alabama so we could break the bikes in properly. Poor weather forced us south to I-12 where we stopped for the night in Covington before skirting around the north side of Lake Ponchartrain and then to I-10. The rain drops in Mississippi, Louisiana and East Texas were as big as pancakes but, after spending another night outside Houston, we continued happily along on our new beautiful toys. In San Antonio, Inlaw1 was kind enough to direct us to a great barbecue joint then service our bikes. We traveled along I-10 pressing west until Kerrville where we stayed the night. The next day the rain returned as we rolled into Ft. Stockton. With the temperature gauge at 34 degrees I was nervous to climb the hills to El Paso so we called it a short day and enjoyed a wonderful room at the Hampton Inn. The next morning the roads were dry and we hurried onward in hopes of beating the impending and rare snow heading for El Paso. On the way we came upon snow along the road 10 to 12 inches deep. We stopped for lunch in El Paso the raced through New Mexico where we were fortunate enough to make the acquaintance of a New Mexico State Patrol Officer! He told us he had clocked us at 87mph but let us off with a warning. We continued to Tuscon where we found all the rooms occupied so we made a decision to push to Casa Grande. Ft. Stockton to Casa Grande = 624 miles!! We were tired to say the least. Last day was cake... 410 miles to Fullerton and we were home.
Bikes ran perfectly. GPS showed average speed of 70mph with a top speed of 136mph but I didn't zero that out before we left so I think I had done that sometime before :eek: . I don't remember seeing the speedo go above 125mph. Can't say enough good things about D&H!. I will post some photos of our journey in the next day or so.
Don't try to register your bike in CA until you know all the rules and hoops to jump through. You won't like the results as you probably don't have a CA bike (Model # FJR13 AVC.), but a 47 state model (FJR13AV).

Wow, thats a great first ride and kudo's for doing it this time of year. You guys just had a serious cold snap down that way didn't you? I hear so many good things about that dealership I'm definitely buying there myself the next time around. Its a little sad that I have to go half way across the country to find a decent dealership.....Yamaha may want to take notice. :glare:
D&H also has a pleasant surprise coming soon for new FJR owners. They purchased the house across the street and are converting it into an apartment for new owners to stay when they arrive to take delivery of their steed. How awesome is that? I told them about wanting them to service my bike in the late spring and they said to call, arrange a date and remember to ask for the use of the house.

I just noticed.....you only stopped for 18 minutes?!? Did you have someone else pumping your gas while you were peeing!!? Your a better man than I.
Being able to run 250ish miles per tank, I only stopped for gas twice and took two short breaks. At each stop, I made sure to take a quick bio-break and rehydrate. Not a better man than you but I was determined not to get caught out at dusk as I did the evening before.

It's stories like this and the one JerryS had from DVP that make me realize that there are still folks out there that care about how they do business and care about their customers.
Here's a company, that under the "standard" rules, had no likelihood of getting your business. But because they reach out, and go above and beyond the standard method, they gain a customer who should have been able to just go to their neighborhood dealer.

Congrats on your new bike and fun ride home!
During my conversation with them, they apologized for the state of the industry and felt that they were not going above and beyond "standard" rules. They were merely following their consciences and doing what they felt was the right thing to do. The fact that they were significantly less expensive than everyone locally was a bonus.

Spunkmyer, So you were the ones who Ron mentioned. I'm glad you made it home safely and look forward to some pics.

Everyone, Thanks for the congrats and well wishes!

Lucky
I ride with this guy all the time. Trust me, we of the faster-blue-cult have to rethink our position :glare:

Chips!!!! Glad you made it home ok!!!!! You still need to come to the FZ1 rally in June!!
I'm trying to fit this in the schedule! Perhaps this could be the year I socialize more and ride less. I'll pretend I'm dipps :) .

Hi Chip,
Sounds like a great 1st ride. Beautiful color.

Take Care,

Diane
Thanks. The color is growing on me.

Lucky
I ride with this guy all the time. Trust me, we of the faster-blue-cult have to rethink our position :glare:
Uhh, I don't consider myself a fast rider and am quite happy to let the faster blues go past.

And the farkling has begun. The topcase goes on this weekend.

It's funny, I used to think a sport(ier) bike with just a top case looked stupid. Then one day I pulled the bags off the Feej and left the top case on, and it's pretty much been that way since. I often wonder if I shouldn't round out the aesthetics a bit and get the color-matched V46(?) bag, but then I look at the prices and I realize that for the money, my E45 looks just fine. If you squint. From 30 yards away. In the fog. At night.

The bike really does feel a little different with the side cases off - enough that I can feel it anyway. I won't say better or worse, just different. Have you noticed that too?

There's a place close by where we can ride and pick you up a Blue Sea fuse box for under the seat. Or I can run down there and snag it if you're pressed for time.

(ps... ok to drop that tire off tomorrow?)

+1 to the warning Madmike gave you above. If it is not a California bike and you try to register it in California as new, it will be ordered out of the State and banned from registration. Be careful here.

Congrats on your purchase and the adventurous ride west! :clapping: