My FJR Grew A Hump!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, those pics are giving me the wants for a smuggler for my black beauty, but I sure hate to lose the ability to strap down soft luggage on my rear seat. I wonder if there is any way to bolt/attach a small luggage rack to the lid of the smuggler so that stuff can be bungeed to it?
Not sure, but that's why I added the luggage rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, those pics are giving me the wants for a smuggler for my black beauty, but I sure hate to lose the ability to strap down soft luggage on my rear seat. I wonder if there is any way to bolt/attach a small luggage rack to the lid of the smuggler so that stuff can be bungeed to it?
Not sure, but that's why I added the luggage rack.

Yeah, I've got one of those racks...but it's nice to be able to slip off a jacket, secure something picked up at a gas stop, etc and strap it down on the back seat without having to un-strap and un rain-cover my neatly strapped down gear on the rear rack. I'd be scared to scratch the smuggler if anything were strapped to it without some kind of rack protecting it.

Yeah, I've got one of those racks...but it's nice to be able to slip off a jacket, secure something picked up at a gas stop, etc and strap it down on the back seat without having to un-strap and un rain-cover my neatly strapped down gear on the rear rack. I'd be scared to scratch the smuggler if anything were strapped to it without some kind of rack protecting it.
Good point.

MY FJR GREW A HUMP!
What hump?

Marty_Feldman.jpg

MY FJR GREW A HUMP!
What hump?

Marty_Feldman.jpg
Igor: Dr. Frankenstein...

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: "Fronkensteen."

Igor: You're putting me on.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, it's pronounced "Fronkensteen."

Igor: Do you also say "Froaderick"?

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No... ”Frederick."

Igor: Well, why isn't it "Froaderick Fronkensteen"?

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: It isn't; it's "Frederick Fronkensteen."

Igor: I see.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You must be Igor.

Igor: No, it's pronounced "eye-gor."

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: But they told me it was "ee-gor."

Igor: Well, they were wrong then, weren't they?

That's a damn nice farkle!!!!!!! I didn't expect to see a cabinet hinge though :rolleyes: should make finding a replacement easier. <_< ........yep, I'm just jealous :angry:

Igor: Dr. Frankenstein... Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: "Fronkensteen."

Igor: You're putting me on.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, it's pronounced "Fronkensteen."

Igor: Do you also say "Froaderick"?

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No... ”Frederick."

Igor: Well, why isn't it "Froaderick Fronkensteen"?

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: It isn't; it's "Frederick Fronkensteen."

Igor: I see.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You must be Igor.

Igor: No, it's pronounced "eye-gor."

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: But they told me it was "ee-gor."

Igor: Well, they were wrong then, weren't they?

"Walk.........this way"

LOL, One of the best movies I've seen.

That's a damn nice farkle!!!!!!! I didn't expect to see a cabinet hinge though :rolleyes: should make finding a replacement easier. <_< ........yep, I'm just jealous :angry:
Cabinet hinge is the first thing I thought of too, but I don't think that's what it truly is. The hinge does this strange articulating thing as you open the lid. Hard to explain.

"Walk.........this way"
LOL, One of the best movies I've seen.
Yep. A great one for sure. Also like Blazing Saddles and High Anxiety.

Does anyone know if either the Corbin Smuggler, or the Axio Tail Bag will accommodate a 15" MacBook Pro?

I've got one of those and I love it. I loved it so much that I ordered one for my FZ1, too. I guess I know why the FZ1's is late. They were making yours. ;-)
Yeah, sorry about that. I called for a status update, and they told me that mine was in line right after one for an FZ1. I so cleverly told them that I had a crisp one dollar bill in my pocket that they could have if they bumped mine to the top of the list! :ph34r:

They hung up on me. :p

Kidding... it took about 28 days, which is actually not too bad when you consider their target was the end of May.
Wow. It took two full months to get my first one. It has been 6 weeks since I ordered the one for the FZ1 and they can't make any prediction on when I'll get it. Maybe sometime in May, but June wouldn't surprise me.

They are bigger than they look. I find mine to be perfect for carrying the essentials that I need to access daily, like sunglasses, electronics, water, gloves, cap (to cover helmet hair), a towel (Never travel the galaxy without a towel), with room to spare for a light rain jacket or sweater. And, I often keep a light stuff sack backpack in there for grocery runs.

I'd like it if they could use the same key as the bike, but I don't have high hopes for that being possible. It is a totally different lock mechanism, being a push button opposed to the rotary on the Yama stuff.

The smuggler is somewhat rain-proof. Mine doesn't fill up with water, but if left in the rain it gets damp inside and stuff will mildew, so its best to be mindful of that and leave it open to air, when you can.

Wow. It took two full months to get my first one. It has been 6 weeks since I ordered the one for the FZ1 and they can't make any prediction on when I'll get it. Maybe sometime in May, but June wouldn't surprise me.
I told them I have a trip to St. Simons island first of June (which I do and which will be my first ride report), and they made accommodations to get my items back to me with plenty of time to spare. Of course, I still don't have my seat.

...a towel (Never travel the galaxy without a towel)...
Nice! Just make sure to fold it into a triangle before you lay down on it. And don't forget the Babel Fish either.

The smuggler is somewhat rain-proof. Mine doesn't fill up with water, but if left in the rain it gets damp inside and stuff will mildew, so its best to be mindful of that and leave it open to air, when you can.
I was wondering about this. Thanks for the tip.

For some of the newbies and maybe others that haven't seen this yet....
The Axio..... Aka, the poor mans smuggler:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...uggler&st=0

WW
Got my Axio ( poor man's smuggler) bag today. Awsume! The silver one matches my 2004 light silver parts. I got an insulated 1 gallon water jug (tested today for 6 hrs in 90 degree heat , works great) from k-mart fits in it.(Az heat, must have LOTS of water)The axio bag fits in the rear seat removed hole close enough! ( the g/f likes it, probably because no more rear seat and she don't ride) Now I just need a small top box and duke and I can hit the road for some overnight trips!

Whilst the Corbin smuggler looks nice, the kind of $$$ it costs is close to the FJR City Cases. This will give you much more storage space while not making the FJR look like a big mama from the back.

And you can get them in the "scratch proof" mat black.

These bags fit flush with the OEM pipes, so they don't interfere with filtering through traffic with these on.

Has anybody considered converting this to an aux fuel tank? Possibly using some sort of internal bladder and a pump? From the dimensions above, it works out to about 3.7 gallons. Not a shitload but not bad either. It would look better than any aux tank I've sceen and would protect the stuff normall found under the set in that area.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...

. Oh s%$t, you guys are waiting for me to say it...what was it we were talking about again?

.Oh Yeah...

.Those smugglers are HOT!

The reason I like the Smuggler is because I keep my standard sidebags and add additional volume without adding a topcase. I won't ever have a passenger, so that space needed to be used for something. Yeah, it's expensive, but it serves its purpose very well and fits perfectly with the lines of the bike.

The city cases are interesting, but I have grown used to the lines of the bike and wouldn't change it for anything.

Do want. Can't afford, nor justify the expense. Love the concept and wish someone would make an injection molded unit for under $400.

So I was at work today, and the FedEx guy dropped off a package for me... and I mean dropped off (but that's for another discussion).

Smuggler%2001.jpg

Smuggler%2002.jpg

So far, so good. The fit is a bit tight, but it does fit. More room inside than I was expecting, although it is still a small storage space (but more than I had before). I love that it fits into the lines of the bike. I could have gotten a Givi (or similar), but since I never have a passenger, this was a better solution for me.

Why this showed up before the seat, I don't know, especially since I was told this wouldn't show up until some time in May. Oh well.

So... what's next? Hm... small loan, perhaps, so I can keep on going!