My Gen. One Era May Have Come To an End

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony, Do you have a pressure cleaner? I'd power douche the hell out of that whole area after saturating everything with engine degreaser. What we do on airplanes when we have that situation is pour some fluorescent penetrant fluid into the oil filler. Then when it starts leaking again we hit the area with an ultraviolet black light and the fluorescent green will slap you in the nads and you can trace it to its origin. It works well. Let me know if you wanna do that because I'd have to go to the hangar and get some. Good luck!
Thanks Vic-

I need to pressure clean and re-stain the drive way next weekend. I think I will multi-task the two and hopefully I will have a nice driveway and

try to solve the leak in the bike before it ruins the nice driveway.
rolleyes.gif

That's the expression we use for "you can't miss it". The black light will make the penetrant so bright green, Stevie Wonder will be able to see it. :yes:

I vote for the UV dye as well........ I can only think it is a seal, perhaps middle drive is the most likely culprit as the seal would most likely wear a groove in the gear.. The metal will be cleanest next to the leak...... if it leaks enough. If it's coming from above, it may be the valve cover gasket, but they don't just go start leaking on their own..... it may have been out of place. In any case, I don't see why it's not fixable whatever it is.

Tony, Do you have a pressure cleaner? I'd power douche the hell out of that whole area after saturating everything with engine degreaser. What we do on airplanes when we have that situation is pour some fluorescent penetrant fluid into the oil filler. Then when it starts leaking again we hit the area with an ultraviolet black light and the fluorescent green will slap you in the nads and you can trace it to its origin. It works well. Let me know if you wanna do that because I'd have to go to the hangar and get some. Good luck!
Vic, If I cannot find it, I might just take you up on this method. However I will ask you a favor immediately, If you ever see a leak this bad

on a plane flying out of PBI… will you give me a heads up.

And Ray, I am still thinking of a way that I can work my Shoe Goo into this thread… maybe use it as a replacement seal.

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries, Tony. You won't be anywhere near any of the old piston engine airplanes that I do this on. They are all island hoppers in the Caribbean. Unless you go all Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville and shit on me, you'll be just fine. And! If we do this, it won't be on your driveway. Thick plastic tarp will be required or that stuff will penetrate into your driveway and the stain will be eternal. You will forever say: "FUCKING VIC!!!" Every time you see the stain for the rest of your life. :D

"The bolt that is missing (?) Is that a center stand support? Header support? It appears to be lower than the other side.Any input ?"

The missing bolt is an exhaust header support. It just clamps the exhaust to the centre stand, no big deal.

I find it interesting that there is oil at the end of the 'breather' hose. No idea where it might be coming from but............
Thanks for the info on the bolt. The breather hose most likely caught oil blown off the dripping header pipe while at 70 MPH. (?)
Looking at the last picture; it seems to me that the oil is being blown from right to left with streaks running along the silencers (mufflers). As far as I can see there isn't any oil 'upwind' of the breather pipe.

What is that breather, is it a crankcase breather?

^^^^^ That's a gas tank over-flow hose. The crankcase breather is attached to the air box.

Thanks Vic-

I need to pressure clean and re-stain the drive way next weekend. I think I will multi-task the two and hopefully I will have a nice driveway and

try to solve the leak in the bike before it ruins the nice driveway.
rolleyes.gif
Clean it like Vic said and let it dry. Then dust the suspect areas with baby powder or talc, and take it for a ride around the block.

You'll spot the leak pretty quick.

I have nothing useful to add to this thread.

But I was just thinking... 9 10/10ths and 2 IBRs. So in 112 cumulative days of riding you managed to put on approximately 112K miles, or nearly half the miles on it's clock on a 12 yr old bike. And this doesn't even include the other 1K/day rides.

It's no wonder she decides to throw an oily hissy fit at the thought of another 10/10ths. lol But this also makes me reconsider my plans for riding Old Yeller in '17.

Hoping you get this figured out Tony.

I have nothing useful to add to this thread.
But I was just thinking... 9 10/10ths and 2 IBRs. So in 112 cumulative days of riding you managed to put on approximately 112K miles, or nearly half the miles on it's clock on a 12 yr old bike. And this doesn't even include the other 1K/day rides.

It's no wonder she decides to throw an oily hissy fit at the thought of another 10/10ths. lol But this also makes me reconsider my plans for riding Old Yeller in '17.

Hoping you get this figured out Tony.
Mike, If all goes well in prepping the '08 this coming winter, you will have a back-up bike a phone call away.

Looks like the rear output shaft seal from the motor to me. I don't care how long ago that was replaced.

I tell ya what. To satisfy your Gen I craving, I have a gently used 04 FJR with only 150,000 miles, only crashed a few times, and only ridden under the speed limit by a little old man. I would be willing to part with it for........ oh, lets say $5,000.

Very likely that it's the seal on the output of the drive shaft, but your statement that it's forward of where you show in the picture brings up another possibility, which I actually went through, although not with that much oil.

The cover of the rear balancer was loose on my bike for a while, actually had loose bolts! Oil would leak out and pool on top of the transmission, then drip out the side when it tipped over on the sidestand, looking for all the world like it was coming from the stator cover or the starter. If it hadn't been pooling on the top of the transmission I'd never have checked that cover, but that was the only place up there that oil could escape from.

Picture is from removing the engine for my shifting issue, but I've pointed out the cover in question. Throttle bodies have to come off for access.

DSC_5926%2Bshowing%2Bprior%2Boil%2Bleak.jpg

Oh I know, that's why I posted that. No other forum I'm sure has someone like Tony who will just "Pop by" no matter where you live. Pretty sure he's a terminator waiting to be activated.
biggrin.png