My Gen. One Era May Have Come To an End

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI the UV reactive dye is generally available at your local autoparts store, and is most definitely the way to go in diagnosing something like this in the most time efficient manner.

Looks like the rear output shaft seal from the motor to me. I don't care how long ago that was replaced.
I tell ya what. To satisfy your Gen I craving, I have a gently used 04 FJR with only 150,000 miles, only crashed a few times, and only ridden under the speed limit by a little old man. I would be willing to part with it for........ oh, lets say $5,000.
Well Skooter nailed it. Had this same O ring/seal fail 2 years ago, but I guess it was 100k miles ago.

Local Yamaha quoted me nearly $2k for the fix (?) In Wisconsin WITH recovery it was less than $1k, guess its a regional pricing thing.
rolleyes.gif

After the repair quote I checked out the showroom floor. The '15 was there, then I went looking for the Super T and found they had got in a

'16 ES !!! Things might get expensive…

What would be the point in plunking down huge change for a new Gen III, only to have it sit in the garage losing money every day?

Ride the '08 until it's done (which might be forever).

The Gen I has nothing to be ashamed of - she's earned her retirement.