My new sport tourer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builderwill

Reaction score
Anybody who’s ridden with me much knows I tend to ride a little on the aggressive side and love to carve up a twisty or two. Most weekends I’m out running around with liter sport bikes and for the most part kept up with all but the best of riders. Although I had the FJR’s stock suspension as dialed in for me as possible there were times when she just wasn’t as sure footed as I wanted, especially high speed sweepers. Any bump in the road felt like the front was just gonna wash out on me. And while I got used to the weight it would wear me down after a few hours of curves.

So I was at the point, with getting close to 25K on the shocks and forks, that I needed to upgrade. I had a couple of choices 1) spend a few hundred and get better springs up front and maybe have the stock rear rebuilt and quite possibly still be not much better or 2) spend a couple grand and go all out on aftermarket front and rear which I hear makes a huge difference. I was mulling those options back and forth, all the while wondering if I was going to happy with either. At the end of the day she would still weigh 650 lbs.

I started investigating different bikes that may fit my needs:

- 80 percent of my riding is weekend twisties ranging normally 120 to 200 miles in a day.

- 2 or 3 trips a year, usually 3 – 5 days and about 1200 – 2500 a trip. I’ll slab it only if I absolutely have to as I just don’t enjoy it. And for me if you don’t enjoy it, what’s the point.

- I don’t commute except for the rarest of days due to my job and the usual running around with kids after work.

So after test riding a few different options I started focusing in on one model I’ve been lusting after for awhile now. I started lurking around ebay and local classifieds and eventually came across and pulled the trigger on this nice, understated, subdued little gem:

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Once I got the bug for a ZX 14 I just couldn’t shake it. And while checking them out noticed quite an abundance of them for surprisingly cheap. The hard thing was finding one relatively stock and not all stretched and lowered. All this one had was a set of slip on, the rest was bone stock.

Saturday I did a fly and ride, picking up my new toy in Louisville, KY and bringing here back to St. Louis. I’ve done that with my last two bikes and there’s no better way to get to know your new ride than to put a few hundred. Scott picked me up at the airport and took me back to the dealer. Come to find out Scott had been an FJR owner as well and knew somebody a little south of me. Turns out it was Smitty and he had installed a cruise control for him a few years back. Man, that Smitty really gets around. Anyway, we do the paperwork and I’m off with a 300 or so mile trip ahead of me. It was a beautiful day for November and I decide to take US 150/50 home. It’s not bad in Indiana, scenic with a few curves. The downside is you go through every little town in Illinois and one speed zone after another. At least it kept me off the interstate.

So off I went. I had test driven one already, but this would be my first real ride. Riding position is much more aggressive and I already had started pricing up riser or handle bar conversion kits as well as lower pegs. After the 6 hours or so I was really surprised at how good I felt. My legs or hips did not feel bad at all. If feels strange hiking you foot up that high when you first take off, but one its up on the peg, it doesn’t feel that bad. As far as the clip-on’s they were not that bad either. You stretch out quite a bit more and it actually made my bad back with degenerative discs feel good. What saves your wrists and arms is the wind pressure on your chest. It really takes a lot of weight off your arms. But that is the one thing that wasn’t so good, the lack of wind protection. There was a while where I was cruising at 85 or so and my arms were getting tired of hanging on the bars for dear life. A touring screen will fix that but then that may put the weight back on my wrists, requiring maybe a heli-riser. I’ll just have to ride more and do some experimenting to settle in on what works best for me, but overall I was pleasantly surprised.

As far as handling it’s night and day over the FJR. The suspension, while a little harsher, felt great like it was on rails, regardless of road condition. Turn in was effortless and it went where you wanted it to go. Only thing is you better have your speed set before the turn. Even the lightest of braking in the turn really felt like it was wanting to stand up. As far as throttle goes, steady is key. A little too much throttle and bad things can happen very quickly.

That brings me to the engine. All I can say is ‘Holy Shit, Batman!’ Yesterday I spent most of the day taking it easy and getting to know the bike. Towards the end of the ride it was dark and a lot of deer around, so again I was taking it easy. Even taking it easy it is clear that this thing has way more power than you need. Today I had the chance to take it out to some more familiar roads and play a little. I was starting to hit it a little harder and the power was impressive, but extremely smooth. I then had a chance to do a WOT run on a straight away. Again very impressive power and as I approached 7K started to think about shifting. I left off the gas a little and noticed I still had 4K left till redline. Opened her up again and that’s when I figured out the real party starts. I can’t even describe it fully except it reminds you of that scene in Star Wars when they shift into hyperdrive. Things just become a blur and the front end starts to come off the ground…again.

I think that was the first time a bike actually scared me going in a straight line. I’m thinking this is going to be a fun new toy!

Here she is getting some ST goodies. Can’t wait to take that next trip.

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You never did mention what year it was. Is it an 09? What kinda power do those things make? Also, is that a custom paint job?

Gary

darksider #44

Congrats on your new bike. Sport touring bike - I hope it works well for you for you but for me I'd be dying after 100 miles.

I bought a 08 ZX-14 in June 09 and have used it for "non-touring" duties. I've taken it on a couple of overnight trips but its not my weapon of choice when I have a couple of real touring bikes in my garage. It definitely can be used for sport-touring, I just prefer my FJR or C14 when there is going to be any distance involved and a lot of that has to due with how much I can easily carry on the ZX-14 without everything shifting all over the place. And then there is the matter of fuel mileage which isn't very good under any circumstances. My best mileage, with a very gentle throttle, was 38 mpg and I usually average about 34 mpg....which can easily drop to 30 mpg if I am twisting the throttle. I'm surprised you found the suspension to be a bit harsh, it is definitely under sprung for heavier riders but mine has a very plush ride. The suspension is fully adjustable on both ends, you should try softening the compression damping.

If your bike is stock then the first thing you need to add is something to protect the $700 radiator which is very exposed. A fender extender is much better than nothing, a Cox Radiator guard is best, and I have both on my bike. I also recommend a center stand, it only adds 3 pounds of weight and makes it so much easier to clean and adjust the chain and change tires. I added Genmar handlebar risers and a Corbin footpeg lowering kit for obvious reasons. You lose a little of the sporting edge but it sure adds a lot of comfort when in a cruising mode.

As you said, the engine is a monster and so smooth it does not give much feedback to the rider of how fast you are actually moving, be careful until your brain is re-calibrated to how fast the ZX-14 really is.

Congrats on the new [to you] ride, definitely puts the *sport* in touring! :)

Having ridden a buddies a couple times, the want is there but with a GP equipped FJR the need isn't.

Enjoy!!

--G

Congrats on the new [to you] ride, definitely puts the *sport* in touring! :)

Having ridden a buddies a couple times, the want is there but with a GP equipped FJR the need isn't.

Enjoy!!

--G
+1 -G.

I too have the GP Suspension and a Penske rear shock The $1750 investment transformed the FJR into a mileage munching dream machine.

Congrats.
clapping.gif

Who the HELL could ever blame a man for buying a wickedly-fast, brutally-honest, this-thing'll-probably-kill-me-some-day-but-I'm-gonna-be-high-on-adrenaline-until-then motorbike?

And, it gets better mileage than most Toyotas.

Hey Will...better stay away from Pike County Ky. and Danny Taylor. :lol:

And ya better get yerself a stack of get out of jail free cards, or find a cop that can get ya a badge. :rolleyes:

If your bike is stock then the first thing you need to add is something to protect the $700 radiator which is very exposed. A fender extender is much better than nothing, a Cox Radiator guard is best, and I have both on my bike. I also recommend a center stand, it only adds 3 pounds of weight and makes it so much easier to clean and adjust the chain and change tires. I added Genmar handlebar risers and a Corbin footpeg lowering kit for obvious reasons. You lose a little of the sporting edge but it sure adds a lot of comfort when in a cruising mode.
Thanks for the advice. Centerstand should be ordered this week. First I heard of the radiator being prone to damage. I'll have to check that out. I'm still on the fence on risers or pegs. I was surprised by how comfortable I was after the 6 hours the other day. I can say slabbing for more than a couple hundred miles or any LD riding is probably out of the question, but that was never my thing anyway.

You never did mention what year it was. Is it an 09? What kinda power do those things make? Also, is that a custom paint job?

Gary

darksider #44
It is a '09. The paint is not custom, it is a Special Edition color scheme from that year.I really like it and the orange color looks much better in bright sun.

As far as power you see all kinds of crap posted on the internet. Best I can determine stock is about 165 at the rear wheel and about 110 on the torque. I bought it for the torque. HP and top speed is just unusable under most situations.

Hey Will...better stay away from Pike County Ky. and Danny Taylor. :lol:

And ya better get yerself a stack of get out of jail free cards, or find a cop that can get ya a badge. :rolleyes:
Hell, he won't recognize me now!

I need to gets me on of those badges. I actually got pulled over in Salem, IL riding it home for the first time. Got me doing 70 in a 45 (I didn't see the speed zone sign.) He ended up being a great guy and let me off with a warning. Hopefully it is signs of a trend starting. The last time I actually received a ticket on a bike was about 25 years ago.

+1 Congrats on the new ride. That color scheme has me thinking,how it would look on my 09 FJR? <_<

Beautiful Will!!

I guess we won't count on you to lead anymore if you're on the 14....or maybe it'll be just you & petey on second thought, if he's on his VFR. ;)