My new toy. Quicker than the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teeter totter?
shok.gif
. So, to answer your question.... not a chance!
I guess there is a hidden meaning?

Edit: Nevermind. Video explains it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread got me googling comparisons between all the different 250s available out there. Many don't list the actual years of the bikes they're comparing so the information becomes confusing as new models sometimes make quite a difference. But in more than one comparison, Yamaha's 250 had a good deal more power than the Honda. You listed "enough power to get your fat bottom up the mountainside" as one of your requirements. So now I'm wondering.

You also need a bike that was "tall enough." The Yammie's seat height was 2 or 3 inches higher than the Honda.

-and it was lighter.

I know you chose the Honda over the Yamaha for good reason. Just curious, why didn't the Yammie make your list?

Gary

darksider #44

I know you chose the Honda over the Yamaha for good reason. Just curious, why didn't the Yammie make your list?

Gary

darksider #44
Certainly.

My first requirement for an off-road bike was that it had to be street legal. Here in BC, you can no longer retrofit a bike that isn't street legal from the factory. Right away, that narrowed the choices down. When I did my online research, three bikes kept coming up again and again: Suzuki DRZ400, DR650 and Honda XR650L. I did look at KTM, Yammie and Husky but very briefly. I sat on the KLR to for about 5 seconds. Of all the bikes mentioned, only the first three were even remotely affordable too. I found my options to be somewhat limited at this point as well, unless I wanted to spend bigger $$$, it seemed I had to choose a 250 or a 650.

I took the DR 650 out and didn't care for it, but my expectations were kind of high at this point; this was sometime last summer. After sitting on the Honda in a showroom, I also concluded it was the one most suited for my height of 6'4". After riding it now for some time now, I don't know how someone shorter than me can actually ride it without a lowering kit.

For the next 8 months or so, I looked online for a used one and they were very rare. Additionally, they were ridiculously expensive. I'd say most were 80% or more of their new price and these were for bikes as old as 1999 which over 10,000 miles!

When a friend of mine called and told me je bought the Honda CRF 250 Rally, I went down to the dealer with him and ended up going home the 650. :p

I got the bike at 0.9% financing and didn't haggle the price but did insist they include a SHOEI Neotech (for the FJR), which they did. No regrets.

Ah, price. That explains it. I was looking at 250's in my comparisons because I didn't read your post carefully enough. Yammie seems to be quite proud of their little 250, based on the prices I saw. Not sure how that shakes out when comparing 650s, but I'm assuming you saw the same pricing gap.

The freebie helmet: I wear a Neotec. When I bought mine 4 years ago, I couldn't find it any where, from any source, for less that 620 dollars. Ya done good, dude.

Gary

Great bike!!! I bought a XR650L new in 2000 and I still have it 17 years later. I love that bike! It goes anywhere and everywhere I want to go.

Had a 2001 with a 5 gallon baja tank, white power exhaust, and 3 tooth bigger rear sprocket, cut down aftermarket handlebars by 2 inches, added bark busters and full on knobbies. The lower gearing helped overcome the weight on the trail by making the front tire easy to loft over obstacles. Loved the ability to keep the RPM low and climb anything. I have ridden it on high country trails where the handle bar rubbed the hillside, while navigating a trail that was only 6 inches wide. Very dependable and stable platform. Did I say it was heavy?? (Something like 325 lbs / 147 kg)

Yamaha doesn't make a street legal dual sport bigger than the 250cc WR250R ($6,699 msrp). They are missing a big segment of the US dual sport market: Old guys that want to relive their dirt biking youth. And, we are mostly too big and heavy to get away with the torque of a li'l two fiddy engine. I tried to love a WR250R I owned for a few months. It just did not have enough grunt

That leaves the Suzuki DR650SE ($6,499, 366 lbs), Honda XR650L ($6,899, 346 lbs), and the DRZ400S ($6,599, 317 lbs). The ~ 400cc dual sport spot is a sweet one, and one only hit by Suzuki, unless you are willing to spend orange money.