my PCIII opinion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

818Guy

Reaction score
Well, had a chance to take the bike to work today and really see if the PCIII would help with the "jerk" I feel at low speeds and when I roll off the throttle at highway speeds.

Doesn't seem to have helped with the main thing I wanted it to address: low speed jerkiness. :(

On the highway the bike does seem to shift much smoother, not as abrupt as before. I have the AE.

I dunno if I should take it to a shop for tuning specifically for my AE.

*shrug*

More updates as I put more miles on it.

I should add that I also recently got rid of some of the slack in my throttle cable, so there might be some adjustment time for me and the "new" feel of the throttle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, had a chance to take the bike to work today and really see if the PCIII would help with the "jerk" I feel at low speeds and when I roll off the throttle at highway speeds.
Doesn't seem to have helped with the main thing I wanted it to address: low speed jerkiness. :(

On the highway the bike does seem to shift much smoother, not as abrupt as before. I have the AE.

*shrug*

Did you check to make sure that it came loaded with the custom map? I ask because mine came loaded wih a "no change" map even though it was packaged as a FJR1300 specific unit. Also, did you do the throttle sync?

Bill

Did you check to make sure that it came loaded with the custom map? I ask because mine came loaded wih a "no change" map even though it was packaged as a FJR1300 specific unit. Also, did you do the throttle sync?
Bill
That's something I forgot to do, thanks for the reminder! I'll make sure I hookup the laptop tomorrow and do that. It's via the "set throttle position" in the software's menu right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill
Custom map? Do they have them for the 2006? Maybe I'm missing something.

I did call Dynojet this afternoon and asked what map is on the unit. I was told it was the standard map based upon stock air filter, stock exhaust and disconnected O2 sensor. Admittedly I'm a bit suspect that I may have a "zero map" on my unit.

I've had all factory scheduled maintenance since I purchased my FJR. I have about 5,500 miles on it now.

818 - look at the bright side.. if it IS the 'base map' and you noticed it didn't work, then you qualify as a good test rider..

Imagine if you had raved about how bitchin it is only to find you were, essentially, running stock.. :rolleyes:

Bill
Custom map? Do they have them for the 2006? Maybe I'm missing something.

I did call Dynojet this afternoon and asked what map is on the unit. I was told it was the standard map based upon stock air filter, stock exhaust and disconnected O2 sensor. Admittedly I'm a bit suspect that I may have a "zero map" on my unit.

I've had all factory scheduled maintenance since I purchased my FJR. I have about 5,500 miles on it now.
My apologies. I wrote ambiguously and poorly in my previous post.

When I wrote "custom map", I meant only to differentiate the FJR specific map as supplied by Dynojet from the zero map. (But, unless you saw the fjr map on your computer while hooked to the PCIII, I wouldn't trust that it's in the unit.)

When I wrote "throttle sync", I meant and should have written "PCIII throttle position setting proceedure".

Sorry for the confusion.

Bill

Best thing is to take it to a shop with a Dyno and run it for a custom map even though you are running stock. I had a custom map put on mine with the Holeshot full system and it made a huge difference over the other maps available. Should only be a touch up and about $150.

I bought the PC-III from Jeff at SBE and installed it on my '06 and the overall difference was radical. The low speed lurching has been eliminated completely and the bike, overall, is tremendously smoother than it was... One of the best things I have done to the bike.

*shrug*

i've found that if you add 20% more fuel to the zero throttle position scale from 500 rpms to 5k rpms it should get red of your on off throttle problems. if you want you could start with 5% and go up from there.

Adding 20% at 0 throttle below 1000rpm will also increase your gas usage at idle.. not sure how much that adds up to overall fuel comsumption

I have a PCIII in the package in the garage right now, I'm gonna try to install it this weekend. I don't know how much it'll help, I personally feel the problem in twisties with throttle on and off is an issue of back lash in the drive train, but I'd be real happy is I was wrong.

I have a PCIII in the package in the garage right now, I'm gonna try to install it this weekend. I don't know how much it'll help, I personally feel the problem in twisties with throttle on and off is an issue of back lash in the drive train, but I'd be real happy is I was wrong.
I think youi'll be real happy.

Just be sure the FJR map - and not the zero map - is loaded, etc...

Bill

Thanks everyone for the info.

I have not hooked it up to my computer to check things out so that'll be this weekend.

Jeff (at SBE), I'll try to give you a call this afternoon. No promises though. :eek:hno-smiley:

Adding 20% at 0 throttle below 1000rpm will also increase your gas usage at idle.. not sure how much that adds up to overall fuel comsumption
your fuel comsumption might change, but remember you'll only use the fuel on deceleration. i've used this quite abit to stop popping on decel. i took a PC class, and one of the decel fixes was, as a second choise was to go 20%. the first choise was going to -50%. i've found that by adding 20% it makes the bike have a carb feel to it, instead of a no fuel on decel injected bike.

hey i just thought i would throw it out there, if it helps someone great.

Well I did my first ride yesterday with the PCIII configured with the smoothness map.

My first impression was that accelerating from idle is much smoother now. Not quite "omg this feels like a totally new bike" but i did notice a difference. It still jerks a bit, but a lot less. The difference from 'stock' to having the PCIII with it's default FJR map is very noticeable. The diff between that map and the smoothness map, I found was not as big a diff but definitly an improvement.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase and as I learn to use the PCIII more and more, I think i'll get to enjoy it even more!

Latest posts