My saddlebag is broke

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustyrains

Reaction score
I did a little searching around the site and didn't see anything on this exact subject.

Has anyone on the forum ever taken a saddlebag apart and worked on that mechanism that moves the latching bar up and down on the back of the bag? Mine don't move so freely anymore, plus the gear mechanism has jumped a tooth or two, making the bar not fully engage the pocket. Got the toecutter hitch pin mod done, but I want to fix that mechanism. Bugs me. Can't even find an exploded view of it on any of the online fiches.

Not taken it apart, but I do shoot some silicon spray lube in the locks and mechanisms every time I change the engine oil.

21+GiXbOyaL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

See Ignacio. Same thing happend to one of his sidebags. I don't know what his eventual solution was.

I haven't actually tried this method, but read it on the forum.

With the bag off the bike, close the latch so that the locking bar sticks out. Use a pair of vise-grips to grab the locking bar so that it can't retract. Then force the latch up a little to skip the gear back where it should be.

I can't guarantee this will work, but it sounds like it should. And I did read it on the internet, so it must be true! :dribble: <_< :rolleyes: :D

I haven't actually tried this method, but read it on the forum.With the bag off the bike, close the latch so that the locking bar sticks out. Use a pair of vise-grips to grab the locking bar so that it can't retract. Then force the latch up a little to skip the gear back where it should be.

I can't guarantee this will work, but it sounds like it should. And I did read it on the internet, so it must be true! :dribble: <_< :rolleyes: :D
Had not thought of that. Sounds like it could work. Well if you read it on the internets I am going to try it. Who do I contact on the internets if it doesn't work? Is there a money-back guarantee if it doesn't make my penis bigger? :blink:

See Ignacio. Same thing happend to one of his sidebags. I don't know what his eventual solution was.
Jump in here if you would, Ignacio.
Already covered here.
Thank you. Exactly what I looking for.
Guess I will head over to my dealership and propose that they replace the bag under my YES warranty. If they did it for Ignacio, they should do it for me, eh? Failing that I guess I will use vice grips and brute force. Or maybe those EXTENSE pills I saw on the internets. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jump in here if you would, Ignacio.
Already covered here.
Thank you. Exactly what I looking for.
Guess I will head over to my dealership and propose that they replace the bag under my YES warranty. If they did it for Ignacio, they should do it for me, eh? Failing that I guess I will use vice grips and brute force. Or maybe those EXTENSE pills I saw on the internets. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Well fuk me dead. YES is going to replace the bag.