My truck broke

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was in a Bi-Mart parking lot. Started my 1995 Ford F150. Moved the column shifter and it went loose. No shifting from Park to Drive, and would not go into Drive. No resistence from P-N-R at all. I was able to get the key out. The ignition has been busted for 10 years -- it works but sticks sometimes and the key has trouble getting in or out.

Tow truck driver fiddled with the 4X4 and forced the shifter towards DRIVE enough to start it. It died when he let pressure off the shifter. Towed to my mechanic. Transmission? Linkage in the column? Something else?

Any idea what it might cost? (I know hard to say without knowing more).

Uggghhh

Thanks in advance.

If you weren't having any other trannie problems, I would bet on the linkage. No idea what that costs to fix though. I am always freaked out at the cost of vehicle repairs.

If you weren't having any other trannie problems, I would bet on the linkage. No idea what that costs to fix though. I am always freaked out at the cost of vehicle repairs.
I'm with HotRodZilla on this one. You have probably lost one of the pins in the linkage. It should be a relatively cheap fix. Whatever to do with an older F150 do not take a power washer to the engine comparment. I buddy of mine did that and we are still chasing electrical gremlins.

Broken shift rod in the column, or one of the pins let loose. #34 and on down. Seems a lotta Ford trucks get the sloppys in shifters, can be a pain, a used tight column is the easiest fix.

57466162.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Rad you are awesome. Sounds a bit pricey, but not as bad as a transmission. The tranny is a rebuilt with 110,000 on it but it was working OK. The shifter was getting sloppy the past year or two. I'll try to find a ballpark price on used columns. You guys are awesome.

Something like this happened to my neighbor's Explorer. Take off the cover of the column (#7 in the parts diagram Radman posted above) and you may be able to see what went wrong.

It's probably the pot metal piece in the column, happened to our company trucks on a regular basis when we had fords.

Thanks Rad for the blow up pic, as all have said sloppy is the warning ...then 37 breaks,57 loosens,76 at transmission rots and breaks in half at the slotted adjustment section. Many of our Crown Vic PI's have had all of the above (and certainly not from abuse of any kind) :lol:

I'm offended. OFFENDED I say! All you gentlemen making fun of my Fix Or Repair Daily makes me want to cry.... :finger: :lol2:
Found On Road Dead

Junk it and get a Toyota truck, they never stop. Had 250,000 on a friends, 275,000 on my brothers (still running today), and 223,000 on mine. Did you notice on the U.S. version of TopGear that the "chase" vehicle for their Alaska Adventure (Ford, Chevy, and a Dodge) was a Toyota truck? Had to have something reliable to haul the broken ones home. At least they're made (or were) in the U.S.

I'm offended. OFFENDED I say! All you gentlemen making fun of my Fix Or Repair Daily makes me want to cry.... :finger: :lol2:
Found On Road Dead

Junk it and get a Toyota truck, they never stop. Had 250,000 on a friends, 275,000 on my brothers (still running today), and 223,000 on mine. Did you notice on the U.S. version of TopGear that the "chase" vehicle for their Alaska Adventure (Ford, Chevy, and a Dodge) was a Toyota truck? Had to have something reliable to haul the broken ones home. At least they're made (or were) in the U.S.

First On Race Day

Mine just passed 200,000 last week. I made the mistake of commenting to my wife how good the old girl has been to me. If this turns out to be a linkage problem I wouldn't call it a major repair.

I don't know though, I realized how attached I've gotten to Ol' Bess when I figured she had died. She may be rough around the edges, but she is part of the family. I can point to a ding in her left quarter panel and remember the day I found an apartment for my kids and me during my divorce. Cleaning it last week I found a picture of a long-dead favorite dog wedged in the back seat. And the squeaks of the dashboard just feel like home now. Can't imagine the day I have to send her to the bone yard. The whole family calls her Bess, not "the truck."

First On Race Day

Mine just passed 200,000 last week. I made the mistake of commenting to my wife how good the old girl has been to me. If this turns out to be a linkage problem I wouldn't call it a major repair.

I don't know though, I realized how attached I've gotten to Ol' Bess when I figured she had died. She may be rough around the edges, but she is part of the family. I can point to a ding in her left quarter panel and remember the day I found an apartment for my kids and me during my divorce. Cleaning it last week I found a picture of a long-dead favorite dog wedged in the back seat. And the squeaks of the dashboard just feel like home now. Can't imagine the day I have to send her to the bone yard. The whole family calls her Bess, not "the truck."

An Option A cheapie remote floor shifter for $40 would be my first choice on a 200k truck.

Found On Road Dead

One man's opinion, but I wouldn't trade any of my fords for all of the toyotas in the world.

Our local ford stealer is owned by and is next door to the toyota dealer. You know they have the same amount of service bays.

Our local ford stealer is owned by and is next door to the toyota dealer. You know they have the same amount of service bays.
Yeah, but they're all empty at the 'yota shop. My (bought new by me) truck's not high mileage. It's a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 with 104K on it(a bad weather and hunting rig). Knock on wood, so far it's been oil, filters, an occasional air filter, one set of tires, and I'm on my second replacement battery. It's never had any issues, just PM. On the other hand the last new Ford I bought snapped the crank literally in half while I was driving at about 30 mph. The car had 13K miles on it and was just over a year old. No good will repairs, I had to eat the costs and at that time in my life if it cost a nickel to take a dump, I'd a had to puke. That finished me with the MoFoCo. As a wrench I did find it interesting that a V-8 engine would run just fine with a broken crank, though it did make a helluva racket.

It's probably the pot metal piece in the column, happened to our company trucks on a regular basis when we had fords.
we have a winner! :clapping:
I knew my techno speak ability would reward me some day.

Did ya get 'er fixed?

1995? maybe it is time! Buy new, your trade will never be worth more than it is today.
They don't make 'em like they used to -- anymore...

Did you know: Ford offers no (0) manual transmissions in any of its current pick-up trucks...? :(

Edit: I forgot about the little Ranger (I think you can still get a 'stick' in them -- but, they haven't changed (much) in decades...)

1995? maybe it is time! Buy new, your trade will never be worth more than it is today.
They don't make 'em like they used to -- anymore...

Did you know: Ford offers no (0) manual transmissions in any of its current pick-up trucks...? :(
They make automatic transmissions for trucks? Never bought a truck...never had a reason to...but if I couldn't get manual in a truck for hauling..wtf :eek: