N GA Riding Group Camping Trip, Ironhorse MC CG, Fri-Sun, July 11-13

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasportrider

gasportrider
Reaction score
Hi Georgia Gang and all nearby riders,

Is there any interest in our group to do a camping or campground trip to either Blue Ridge MC Campground, Cruso, NC or to Iron Horse MC Campground, Stecoah, NC within the next two months?

These campgrounds have an abundance of tent sites, some cabins, and also a bunk house in the case of Iron Horse. There is food available on the premises along with shower facilities.

I can't think of a better way to meet, greet, and get well acquainted than to sit around a campfire after riding all day in some of the best twisties in NC.

If there is interest, we'll set up a poll for available dates and go with the one that seems most popular. We'll also poll for which campground to go to.

Cruso is near Waynesville on 276 and is near the BRP. Stecoah is near Robbinsville and Deals Gap.

Let's get together and RIDE!!!

If you have interest, please make a posting here and let's get going on a plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent Memorial Day weekend at Blue Ridge Camp. What a place!! Twisty roads, COOL TEMPS, good BBQ, campfire, cold beer, cigars, and the smell of super unleaded being blown out the tailpipes. What a weekend. I'm a maybe for sometime in july. Old man was wanting to bring his bike up from Fla and head to the mountains sometime in July. i told him Cruso was and the BRP was a must see. Also wanting to hit the Dragon and Cherohala. He's never done either of them. If we can get some dates hammered out early enough, i can get him to plan around them. At least we could hang out at the camp fire. He won't go supersonic on his bike. I'm cool for either campground. did i mention the COOL TEMPS? 45 in the am when we left Memorial Day.

I'm interested, although mid july are primary elections; which is a big deal where I work... as in, who will I be working for the next four years?

I'm interested, although mid july are primary elections; which is a big deal where I work... as in, who will I be working for the next four years?

Looks like early voting is July 7-11 with the general primary day being Tuesday, July 15.

If we were to include a weekday option, I'm guessing most folks would want it to be Thursday or Friday + the weekend.

Just a guess.

I hope you will be able to make it. I have a brother's birthday to work into my schedule around July 20. I'm sure everyone will have to juggle something or other; but it will be worth it.

I'm cool for either campground.
It's been years since I have been to the Cruso campground; even before the old bridge washed out. I have heard great reports on the Stecoah campground and its only about 15 miles to Deals Gap and is close to the Cherohala and the great runs of 28 along the lakes and rivers.

I think it would be wonderful for you to have your Dad come up from Florida in the heat of summer. What a relief that would be!!

I hope we will have a bunch of Georgia folks and those living nearby to join in. We could have a hell of a party!

I've got my tent ready. As long as it is not the week I am in Florida, I will go. At this time I do not have a date set for Florida. Being retired is like that. You just go when you want. I just got my bike back on the road after 2 months of waiting for replacement parts. A friend rear ended me on his bike. Nobody hurt - just a lot of shattered plastic.

Let me know if you set a date for camping and I will try to be there.

I've got my tent ready. ......... Let me know if you set a date for camping and I will try to be there.
Norm,

I'm glad to hear from you!! It is wonderful that you're gonna go and are going to camp.

I still have my tent, ground cover, and sleeping bag in my yellow KAYAK bag from my trip to Big Bend NP. I've been promising to get it out to clean the Texas dust and grit. It looks like we may have some interest growing for this gathering which will let me clean my camping outfit on some beautiful and fresh green grass beside a lovely river. Life's great, ain't it?

If we get some more folks expressing interest in this outing, I'll try to figure out how to do a "POLL". I've never tried it before; so this looks like a great time to learn a new skill.

If this turns out to be a great venture for us, maybe we can do another camp ground outing at the other location in the early fall? How does that sound to you?

At least this method of touring gets us all away from the other demands of life for a few days for some super moto related relaxation.

Looks like early voting is July 7-11 with the general primary day being Tuesday, July 15.

If we were to include a weekday option, I'm guessing most folks would want it to be Thursday or Friday + the weekend.

Just a guess.

I hope you will be able to make it. I have a brother's birthday to work into my schedule around July 20. I'm sure everyone will have to juggle something or other; but it will be worth it.
Yeah, but in a Sheriff's office, the repercussions last for weeks. However, whenever a date's set, I'll read the tea leaves and determine availability.

...and figure out where to stuff the tent.

Hi all,

I'm gonna go up to Ironhorse MC Campground this Thursday and stay for the weekend. I'll be taking a bunch of pictures and will post them in a slideshow for your review and interest.

If anybody is interested in going this week, my friend George Lenz and I will be leaving from Exit 17 off of GA 400 at 12 noon or so on Thursday.

Further, I got great reviews on Ironhorse while up at Deals Gap. If you want to take your wife, girlfriend, or SO; this is a great opportunity. I'll be checking for availabilty on the cabins, as well.

Also, it could be that several of us guys could also agree to rent a cabin. My tour and photo shoot will likely supply some useful information.

Unfortunately, the reviews on Blueridge MC campground were not so great. Grass was reported as high with infrequent meals being served.

Check back on this thread next week if you are interested.

Hi All,

The exploratory trip to Ironhorse MC Campground revealed the need for a name change, at least for me. It should be Ironhorse MC RESORT. This is a fabulous destination for motorcyclists of all flavors; we had sportbike riders, H-D riders, cruiser riders, several women riders, sport touring riders, and dual sport riders; and everybody got along GREAT.

The facilities are first class. The communal bathrooms have 3 enclosed heads, 3 showers with attached dressing areas, 2 sinks with a vanity, and great ventilation with high windows. There is a large gathering and dining area with plenty of tables and chairs, couches, fireplace, MC related posters and pictures, and large windows looking out to a large deck, firepit area, bubbling creek, grassed tent camping areas, and detached cabins with balconies and plenty of parking area. Upstairs is a game room with a FREE pool table, checkers, dart board, comfortable seating, and games galore. The main building has covered parking for motorcycles and an air pump along with clean cloths for your bike, how thoughtful!. There is a pavilion building with a large screen tv and a home theater sound system with nightly movies. Oh yeah, did I mention the bubbling brook that courses through the resort area with its scenic wooden bridges?

Food service is equally well done with a neat system of pre-ordering that eliminates waste. You can pre-order your breakfast and dinners with several selections availiable that vary for each day. Examples include salmon, prime rib, steak, chicken, and Texas styled brisket. All the food was tasty and plentiful AND at reasonable prices.

For convenience to motorcyclists, there are ice chest provided for a $1 a day rental, plenty of bag ice, and elevated sleeping pads if your are a tent camper. Rooms are available in the lovely detached cabins for rental to groups or you can rent a whole cabin. There are more economical acommodations in the bunk houses that offers sleeping for 4 and 2 shared baths.

Access to a superb riding area is FANTASTIC with its location just 1.5 miles off Highway 28 near the intersection of NC 143 which connects nearby Robbinsville. Tail of the Dragon is just 23 miles away along Fontana Lake and Highway 28. Nantahala River recreation is just 12 to 15 miles away along US 19/74, it is 35 miles to the Foothills Parkway and 33 miles to the Blue Ridge Parkway. You can be in Cherokee Village on US 441 and the entrance to Smoky Mtn NP in 30 miles, and the famous ride on the Cherohala Parkway is just 22 miles away with the reward of a great lunch at the Tellico Cafe awaiting you. Routes 360 and 72 along with the Cherohala form a loop with the Tail of the Dragon. Folks, it just doesn't get any better than this unless you're heading for the Alps!

No photos are available for this posting. I forgot the camera and on second thought felt it better to have photos of our group attending this event. Look at the website where there are several photos available. Ironhorse MC Resort

The personnel are terrific and very friendly and welcoming. I met one of the owners and they truly want this to be a home for all the motorcycling community. Cathy at 1-828-479-3864 has reserved spaces for us in the cabins that will accommodate 12 people. More spaces are availble, just tell her that you are with the Georgia FJR Rider Group. Cathy checked her schedule and the time that works out best for room commitments and availability is the weekend of July 11-13, a Friday through Sunday However, these rooms will only be held for us for 10 days until June 25. So, call her and make your reservation ASAP. One of the rooms, 2B,, has a Queen bed and is suitable for a couple. Rooms 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B have balconies and rent for $70 per night and each sleep 2 people. 1D and 3D have no balcony and are $60 per room per night. Semi-private cabin rooms share a bath between two rooms. Choose your bunk buddy and sleep for $30 or $35 per night, how great is that?

Tent pads are defined spaces with a gravel base and good drainage. Rates are $15 per night for 1 person or $20 for two. You can even rent a tent!

So, OK folks, let's get together for a great weekend of riding and socializing. You'll never find a better riding and relaxing venue than this one. I've done the research and assure you this place is solid gold. PLEASE add your ME TOO to this forum thread if you are going to join us. I hope we will see you there!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget, if you want a room for this event, please register by Tuesday, June 24. It turns out I mis-counted the days for our block of reserved rooms.

After that day, there MAY be rooms available: but none will be held in reserve for us.

Make plans; it is a great place to enjoy, the surrounding roads are super, and there are numerous entertainments in the area.

Well, I had thought I was going; but I should have checked with my roommate first- we're booked for wedding photography on the 12th.

That might be a good weekend for the youngest daughter and I to visit the cabin in Hayesville. Maybe we can coordinate some riding and socializing with your group?

That might be a good weekend for the youngest daughter and I to visit the cabin in Hayesville. Maybe we can coordinate some riding and socializing with your group?
We'll look forward to it. Let's PM on a time and place. We can always do the store at Tail of the Dragon or we could meet closer to you near upper end of Wayah Bald Road or at the south end near Franklin. Andrews or Robbinsville are also alternatives. I'm sure we'll want to do the Cherohala sometime over the weekend. Ironhorse is close to Everything!