Wheaton's Second Annual Appalachian FJR Camping Meet, May 19, 20, 21, 22 at Murphy, NC

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-B

Reaction score
Wheaton's Second Annual Appalachian FJR Camping Meet, May 19, 20, 21, 22 at Murphy, NC

Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in Cruso, NC booked us on the same weekend as a Honda V-four gathering that they have been hosting for about 10 years. We need to relocate. :angry:

The site for the Second Annual Appalachian FJR Camping Meet is being moved to

CRAWFORD'S CAMPGROUND & CABIN RENTAL

87 HORTON RD.

MURPHY, NC 28906

Located about 90 miles west of BRMC. Very close to the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway. Looks like a some great roads in the area.

Sorry, for any inconvenience this may cause people coming from the Northeast. Hope you can all still make it. I know this is adding 90 miles and 1.5 hours to my ride.

** All reservations must be made by the person/people reserving the campsite/cabin. We can start making reservations now. Call 828-837-9077. Tell them you are with the FJR Camping Group.

Check out their website :clapping:

WEBSITE LINKY

THURSDAY - travel day...arrive in the afternoon or evening. CAMPFIRE

FRIDAY - ride all day............................................... ......... CAMPFIRE

SATURDAY - ride all day............................................... .... CAMPFIRE

SUNDAY - get home day.

This is a no frills meet...as any camping meet should be. Just bring your bike, your camping gear...and be ready to ride on some great local roads! :yahoo:

**Need to update the map. Murphy, NC is in the SW corner of this map. (That's the lower left hand side for those that are directionally challenged.)

googlemapCruso-NCsmallscale.jpg

-They have fewer cabins than last year so you better move quick if you want one. Couple small cabins and some that are fully equipped with bathrooms and kitchens.

-Tent campers will need to reserve their sites as well this year.

- 15% discount on all rates.

-This is not a motorcycle only campground so you could bring other camping equipment if you would like.

- If we get 100 people registered they will close the campground down for just our group.

-There will be fire rings this year.

-For those that don't typically cook when camping, the Camp fixes food that you can buy for breakfast and dinner...check out the website.

-**THE KITCHEN WILL BE OPEN THIS YEAR** :yahoo:

- If we would like they will prepare a group meal(s) for around $10 each. We'll run some poles later on to determine if we want to and what people would like.

This is a no frills meet. Plan to have fun...but don't plan on any sort of fancy itinerary. After having fun all day riding to wherever you want to go, you can kick back at camp and have a beer or whatever beverage you prefer (alcohol is allowed as long -as people behave). Dinner will be whatever you fix, or whatever you buy from the camp...check their website.

PLAN TO HAVE FUN!!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

This was a lot of fun last year even if we did get a little bit of rain. There are no planned rides it is up to you to find your own routes and/or groups to ride with. Last year there were some excellent routes that were provided by Motorcycle Ed and FUBAR. Most of us only had a chance to ride 2-4 of the routes available so we can go back and try some of the others.

Our expectations are that all FJR attendees respect the camp and the other Crawford's campers that will be there that weekend. Just so you know the camp expectations, here is a list of basic camp rules (from the camp's website) to guide your understanding.

CAMPGROUND RULES

1. *QUIET TIME IS AT 11:00 PM

2. *CAMPGROUND AND BUNK CABINS CHECK IN/OUT TIME IS NOON

3. *SPEED LIMIT IS 5-10MPH

4. *NO SMOKING IN ANY OF OUR INDOOR FACILITIES

5. *ROCK GARDEN OPEN DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS ONLY

6. *ABSOLUTELY NO CANS OR BOTTLES TO BE PLACED IN FIRE RINGS

7. *DO NOT MOVE FIRE RINGS OR PICNIC TABLES

8. *DOGS ARE ALLOWED, BUT ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

9. *DO NOT HARM OUR TREES FOR FIREWOOD

10. *REMOVE TRASH FROM SITE AND RECEPTICLES UPON DEPARTURE

11. *DO NOT THROW FOOD OR TRASH IN OUR CREEKS

12. *RESPECT OUR CAMPGROUND AND OTHERS IN THE AREA

13. *PLEASE HELP KEEP OUR RESTROOM FACILITIES CLEAN, THIS IS NOT A TRUCK STOP!

If these rules seem somehow harsh to you, or you cannot "handle yer liquor", please DO NOT ATTEND. I will have a personal problem with anyone that does not give full respect to the camp or other campers. I do not want this to be the last camping meet set up. 'Nuff said. :whistling:

Now...if yer still with me...

Anyone that KNOWS that they will attend (barring unforeseen circumstances), please let me know and I will add you to the attendees list. This list will be sent to the campground, so they know how many to prepare for.

ATTENDEES

Big-B

Cougar8000

Intech

donaldb

eFnJustRide - 2 up

El Toro Joe

Mr Twisty - 2 up

HotRodZilla - 2 up

RoadRunner

Motorcycle Ed

Patriot

Fubar

OFace

Bungie

FJRob

HaulinAshe

Burnspot - 2 up

Powerman

fjrpierre

Just Paul

Mtnhigh

Geezer

total - between the 2 boards = 22 + 4 passengers so far

TENTATIVE

blindSquirrel

Last word-

Lastly, please note that it is Wheaton's intent to move this camping meet among various campgrounds in the Appalachians. This year we are going to keep it here at BRMC until Wheaton returns next year. There will be different options in the future, so if you don't like the sound of this camping party, maybe the next one will interest you.

Thanks to Mr Twisty for the recommendation on Crawford's.

Y'all come on out!!! :clapping: :clapping: ...ohhh, and bring yer tent. :grin:

Last year's thread can be found here if you would like to look for any info there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Count me in!

Deer dodging aside, I had alot of fun last year.

See You all there!

I expect to attend. I just have to rethink my vacation plans to find a couple extra days.

Thanks to big-b for setting it up this year, while I wander west to the land of fruits and nuts. Like I said on the other board, the event really doesn't have to have my name on it...as the really belongs to those that show up.

They evidently have kept my name on it, so fingers can point my way when they trash the campground. :lol: That's my guess anyways...

Looks like a great time to be had...

(I'm guessing that when 2012 rolls around that this event may occur in the KY, VA, WV area...maybe Breaks Interstate Park??)

Lots of big changes for the Camping Trip. Blue Ridge Motorcycle Camp booked us on the same weekend as a Honda v-four group that they have been hosting for several years. :angry2:

Have opted to relocate it to Mr Twisty's friend's place at Crawford's Campground and Cabins at Murphy, NC.

* They have a lot fewer cabins than last year so if you are interested in a cabin please call soon to make your reservation.

* Everybody needs to make a reservation with the campground this year.

* 15% discount on all rates.

Please read through the first post as it has been updated to reflect changes for camping at Crawford's.

Murphy is about 90 miles west of BRMC, hopefully that doesn't put it too far out of range for the people like Road Runner and Geezer coming from NY.

Let me know if you are not going to be able to make it with the alternate camping location.

Thanks,

Brian

Good Job Big-B...I know that there was some miscommunication between the owners of the BRMC as to what was going on there. No slam on BRMC, but being a family run business, sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand was doing...and I think that was the case with them this year.

I know this put you in a very tight bind, as the time and location had already been announced...good job Brian on saving this camping meet!

EDIT: The good news is that with fewer cabins this year...there will be fewer cabin pussies. :D :D :D

Good to hear everybody is still up for it even with the extra 90 miles. Don't know why I thought NY was far when half the people are coming from Canada. :rolleyes:

Fixed the website link on the first page.

If we can get 100 people they'll close the campground down just for us. Good luck getting a cabin if that happens.

Gonna have to back out. Barely have the funds to get to work this year.

You all have fun.

Count 2 more. I went last year and had a great time, so I am planning to attend this year as well. One of my son's buddies heard I was going, so he asked if he could tag along. He's been riding for 2 years, but has never gone on a long trip before. So of course I said no problem, the more the merrier.

It will be interesting to see if he wants to go on another trip after this one. Poor noob, doesn't know what he's gotten himself into. :)

It will be interesting to see if he wants to go on another trip after this one. Poor noob, doesn't know what he's gotten himself into. :)
I'm still wondering what I got MYSELF into!

Thats cool though. Still not sure if I'm going to be able to make it. Started a new job a month ago. I gave my 2 week notice yesterday for a much better job (money+benefits+full time) so I'm gonna be real short of play time. Seems like a good company though. I'm hoping they'll be susceptible to begging and groveling for a couple of days here or there over the summer. I might have to do some banzai runs there and back though.

I don't think i'll be there either. I'll just be getting back from Florida. But , hey, ya never know.

Rob

So...beside myself :yahoo: who's still in? a week and a half...I can't wait :yahoo:

So...beside myself :yahoo: who's still in? a week and a half...I can't wait :yahoo:
I'm still planning to be there. I have only been able to ride once so far this season, so I'll be out of shape and my butt won't feel much like iron, but I'm going to show up on Thursday afternoon. :)

I still plan to go. :D

I'm doing inventory on my camping gear this weekend and patching up a wear hole in the netting of my tent. I nearly decided to go to BRMC this weekend for the hell of it, but my rear tire's looking like it might need attention (10k+ on it).

Looking forward to it!